Beginning build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. New to the forums. Just picked up a '71 FJ40. Had a '79 many years ago and felt nostalgic. That said I've lurked some of the threads and I have a question for the masses: Keep it a stock restoration or go resto-mod using end value as the parameter.

I'm 2nd owner of '71. Has 35k original miles. All stock, numbered, and will need complete frame-off restoration. Body is pretty much rust free under all that armor...previous owner liked the look...has the 1F motor.
1656193070724.png

Congratulations on your new Cruiser, looks like a good starting point.

I have a sister who lives in Meridian, but have not been to see her there yet.

If end-value is your primary goal, then there is no question that keeping it stock will command a higher price than any modifications whatever.

Congratulations on your new Cruiser, looks like a good starting point.

I have a sister who lives in Meridian, but have not been to see her there yet.

If end-value is your primary goal, then there is no question that keeping it stock will command a higher price than any modifications whatever.
Thanks. Meridian is a cool town...

What is your objective... serious wheeling, weekend driver and look at this girl, or preserve it for the next owner. As a retired museum director, the motto was do no harm, but you own her. If it is really mostly rust free under the plate, which I seriously doubt, then treat her like a lady. Mild lift and clean up the front end. Post more pics. What does the interior look like?

What is your objective... serious wheeling, weekend driver and look at this girl, or preserve it for the next owner. As a retired museum director, the motto was do no harm, but you own her. If it is really mostly rust free under the plate, which I seriously doubt, then treat her like a lady. Mild lift and clean up the front end. Post more pics. What does the interior look like?
Thanks for the reply. I plan on driving her a bit around in nice weather. No serious wheeling. And maybe as an investment down the road, but I'd probably be handing it down to my boys at some time instead of selling. As for the rust, as much as I can see underneath it looks solid...at least not rusted through. Interior is solid but bare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom