Bearing adjuster nut torque spec? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

I Forgot About the Women!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello!

I can’t seem to figure out how tight this bolt needs to be, it’s for keeping the lash adjusting bolt in place, when I took it off it was finger tight. but I’m just not sure if it needs to be put on with a impact or a torque spec. It’s on a FJ 62 on the front wheel bearing assembly.

Thanks.

image.jpg

I Don't recall a torque spec on that. Once the adjusting nut preload is set put on the washer, set the locking nut good n' tight
bend the tabs on the washer and call it good.
:beer: ✌️

You’ve got to do it by feel. When that last nut is tightened up (not gorilla tight) it’ll press against the whole stack and influence the final bearing preload. That last nut acts as a lock nut to keep the star tab with inner nut from spinning.
Doesn’t need to be cranked down.

it's important that you do this part correctly, otherwise you may end with really bad damage down the line. Download the FSMs (use the search button, there are many links to these by now) and read and follow the instructions. "Finger tight?" you dodged a bullet. Likely the last dude in there put it together wrong. Remember to bend those tabs BOTH ways in order to lock down those nuts.

It's not difficult, just follow the directions in the FSM. Good luck! :)

yes the outer nut is 58ft/lb, BUT...you first need to un-bend the tab/s on the washer behind it...remove it THEN adjust preload...tightening the inner nut to 43 ft/lb then turning the wheel both ways then loosen and snug it to only inch lbs....see attached (section 5) from the FSM. then put the washer back on tighten the outer nut and then bend the tabs on the washer to lock the nuts in positon ..one tab gets bent inward and one tab outward, do this on a flat section of the nut.

1642167828555.png

Argh, some people say to do it by feel, other say to do it with the torque wrench. Given I don’t have a socket big enough I might just have to do it by feel with a screw driver and a hammer.

I recall the FJ60 FSM says something like torque the inner nut to 42 FOOT LBS…then back the inner nut off and then retorque to 42 INCH LBS. I have no doubts that many people misread this and torque to 42 foot lbs. I think the tension cage to turn the hub is a more precise way to reach the proper setting.

Argh, some people say to do it by feel, other say to do it with the torque wrench. Given I don’t have a socket big enough I might just have to do it by feel with a screw driver and a hammer.
I bought the socket off Amazon for $20 or something. It’s easy enough to get.

impatient young guy, if you're going to rebuild the knuckle by replacing the 54mm socket with a hammer and screwdriver, maybe an old a$$ LC isn't the right vehicle for you. Sure, if you're in the bush or on the trail and you have no other options, okay good luck, but you're in America and it's possible to do it right.
yes, some people can do it "by feel." Because they have a really good idea of what they are doing. Respectfully, it sounds like you do not. After you've rebuilt several knuckles by yourself, then try "by feel." Do it correctly with the right tools, THE FIRST TIME, because we don't want to see a thread a month from now about how you f**ked it all up and your truck is crashed and broken.

Last edited:
impatient young guy, if you're going to rebuild the knuckle by replacing the 54mm socket with a hammer and screwdriver, maybe an old a$$ LC isn't the right vehicle for you. Sure, if you're in the bush or on the trail and you have no other options, okay good luck, but you're in America and it's possible to do it right.
yes, some people can do it "by feel." Because they have a really good idea of what they are doing. Respectfully, it sounds like you do not. After you've rebuilt several knuckles by yourself, then try "by feel." Do it correctly with the right tools, THE FIRST TIME, because we don't want to see a thread a month from now about how you f**ked it all up and your truck is crashed and broken.

Okay, looks like I’m ordering a socket online. The tutorial I’m watching just saying to go with “finger tight” however I thank you for your realism and honesty. Starting to wish that I bought a tricycle instead of a LC.

yes, some people can do it "by feel." Because they have a really good idea of what they are doing.

Little reason to not do it correctly. The socket is cheap and if you own your Cruiser long enough, you will use it more than once (especially if taking shortcuts while doing so - ask me how I know :bang:).

Amazon product ASIN B008VPZDWG
Maybe you are in a time bind and need this done for work tomorrow OP. But its especially worth it to do this bit correctly. I wouldn't play games here. Seen enough chiseled spindle nuts to know setting this without the proper tools is just asking for trouble. Get a ride to work and fix this right.

Do right by your cruiser and it will always do right by you. Your truck deserves it. HTH.

Okay, looks like I’m ordering a socket online. The tutorial I’m watching just saying to go with “finger tight” however I thank you for your realism and honesty. Starting to wish that I bought a tricycle instead of a LC.
This is the bearing that holds the wheels to your truck. ‘Finger tight’ never should be in this topic.
Stop watching whatever thing you are watching. This forum has so many amazing sources and
‘How to’ videos on how to do everything correctly. I live on the island, I’m home in a few weeks.
I‘d be glad to give you a bit of info on the small amount of tools that you really need to have if you
are going to continue to do your own work.
Have you found Coastal Cruisers in the club forums? Nothing but first class really good guys who
can be a wealth of info and help. Join up, go to a couple of meetings

This is the bearing that holds the wheels to your truck. ‘Finger tight’ never should be in this topic.
Stop watching whatever thing you are watching. This forum has so many amazing sources and
‘How to’ videos on how to do everything correctly. I live on the island, I’m home in a few weeks.
I‘d be glad to give you a bit of info on the small amount of tools that you really need to have if you
are going to continue to do your own work.
Have you found Coastal Cruisers in the club forums? Nothing but first class really good guys who
can be a wealth of info and help. Join up, go to a couple of meetings
Thanks for the advice, glad you are being patient with the youngsters unlike some.👀 And yes i’m on costal cruisers. I think I need to know more about where to find better how to videos on this site, the one I was watching isn’t the greatest, he doesn’t even torque the locking hub housing. As far as tools go I’m pretty well equipped as my dad was into cruisers 15 years ago, we just had happened to have lost the big socket. But thanks for the help I’m so new to cars in general!
Here’s the link to the video I was watching incase you are curious. —>

I've used these videos in the past for this OP:

Toyota Steering Knuckle Reassembly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyh89S6NHs4&t=2019s

The thing with videos is that they are either done by some home mechanic that doesn't know what he is doing, or by a pro with years of doing the same repetitive task under his belt. Over time they have developed time-saving tips and tricks which help them speed along their business potentially at the expense of not following the FSM as closely as they once did. I usually use videos only as an overall guide as to what's needed to complete the job and as a gauge as to whether or not a particular job is something I would be able to do based on what's involved. But I always follow the procedures, tool lists, and specs listed in the FSM for whatever job I do and have more than once started thread here when I need clarification on some of the nuances of a particular job. Follow the FSM and you should be golden. If I don't feel I have the time to do the job correctly, then I will let someone else do it. As you can tell OP, lots of folks are very passionate about these old beasts and want what's best for them. Proper maintenance is where it starts. Great on you for trying to do this yourself. The more you do the more you will know. We all started somewhere and you have already found the best resource on the planet for help.

In case it was not clear where this alleged FSM is, you can maybe start here:

GL and HTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom