Builds bcomnes's 2004 GX470 Build/Ownership thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
bret.io
Hey all, I started here with my FJ80 build but then recently picked up a GX 470 for the fam:

img_4577-jpeg.2291955

img_4580-jpeg.2291954

This is mostly going to be an ownership project thread, but I figure the more info collected here, the merrier!

Just getting this thread started because otherwise all the stuff I'm doing just piles up in the notebook.

More updates soon!

First things to fix:

Power mirror actuators. They (sort of) worked when I looked at them, but by the time I go them home, they were not working. Checked the fuse, wasn't the issue, so I ordered new motors. Luckily pretty cheap: $80 on partsorq:

LH 87909-60731
RH 87908-60841

Followed this video and the issue is fixed!"

Thanks for the part numbers. Will be helpful when mine go. Congrats on the new vehicle. I’ve got a 60, this 120 and I’m looking for another or a 100 series. We are in the same club!

Programmed up a couple of new keys.

Best price I could find on the transmitter keys (89070-60801) was $123.82 over at McGeorge parts.

Amazon has OEM Valet keys (89786-60150) for ~$26

I ended up putting the transmitters in @suprarx7nut's YotaMD shells. Super nice upgrade. YotaMD.com - Home

IMG_4770.jpeg

I did a VIN lookup at the local dealer ~$37, and they cut all the blanks I had for free after that. Very cool. Thanks Stephen wade. Only issue is that their "laser" cut key machine ATE the most expensive blank I had. I kept the transmitter and and they are getting me a new shell though.

IMG_4703.jpeg

Took a while to find proper instructions for immobilizer programming instructions for an 04 GX 470 (and many posts inaccurately said it wasn't possible... yes of course its possible). I even asked the dealer if it was possible and they said they could do it for $63 per key or some bull****, and got super weird when I asked if it was really just a series of closing and opening doors. What a grift!

I have read many posts regarding 2003/2004 models require dealer/locksmith programming. I have used these instructions 3 times to delete and add keys to a 2004 LX470 successfully. YMMV.

To delete all keys except the current master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 5 times.
  3. Insert master key in the ignition.
  4. Open and close driver door 7 times. Security light will blink.
  5. Remove master key.

To add master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 4 times.
  3. Insert master key in the ignition.
  4. Open and close driver door 6 times.
  5. Remove master key. Security light will turn solid to indicate the system is in programming mode.
  6. Insert new key. Security light will blink. Wait for about 1 minute until the security light stop blinking.
  7. Remove new key.

Side note, it was unclear how to program a Valet key. The process is exactly the same! The car can tell the difference between master keys and Valet keys and programs them accordingly. The take away is that you can't seem to turn a remote-less valet key into a master key. Fine with me!

Also a couple notes:

- The security light blinks periodically when the immobilizer is activated.
- The security light stops blinking immediately when a programmed master key is inserted into the ignition.
- The security light turns on solid for a few seconds when a valet key is inserted to the ignition.
- When an un-programmed key is inserted to the ignition, the security light continues to blink.

And then remote key programming (the unlock//lock buttons) instructions for an 04 GX 470:

Remote Programming:
1. Begin with the key out of the ignition.
2. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVER'S side door. CLOSE all other doors including the trunk.
3. Within 5 seconds INSERT the key into the ignition and PULL it out TWICE.
4. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
5. Insert key INTO the ignition then REMOVE it.
6. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
7. Insert the key INTO the ignition and LEAVE it in ignition.
8. CLOSE the DRIVER's side door.
9. Switch the ignition to ON then OFF.
10. REMOVE the key from ignition.
11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has successfully entered programming mode.
12. PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the first remote being
programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD it for 2 seconds.
13. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the remote. If you have any
additional remotes to program repeat step 12 if you have no additional remotes proceed to step 14.
14. OPEN the DRIVER'S side door. Programming is now complete.

From: Key Fob Keyless Entry Remote for 2004 Lexus RX 330 with Programming Instructions

Video:

Whole process took about 1H (including research and failed attempts and setting off the panic 3 times). I could do it in 5mins now that I know how. Why dealers and mechanics charge for this, instead of handing you a printout is

Last edited:

Best price I could find on the transmitter keys (89070-60801) was $123.82 over at McGeorge parts.

I ended up putting the transmitters in @suprarx7nut's YotaMD shells. Super nice upgrade. YotaMD.com - Home

View attachment 2326840

I did a VIN lookup at the local dealer ~$37, and they cut all the blanks I had for free after that. Very cool. Thanks Stephen wade. Only issue is that their "laser" cut key machine ATE the most expensive blank I had. I kept the transmitter and and they are getting me a new shell though.

View attachment 2326842

Took a while to find proper instructions for immobilizer programming instructions for an 04 GX 470, and many posts (inaccurately said it wasn't possible... yes of course its possible).

Side note, it was unclear how to program a Valet key. The process is exactly the same! The car can tell the difference between master keys and Valet keys and programs them accordingly. The take away is that you can't seem to turn a remote-less valet key into a master key. Fine with me!

Also a couple notes:

- The security light stops blinking immediately when a programmed master key is inserted into the ignition.
- The security light turns on solid for a few seconds when a valet key is inserted to the ignition.
- When an un-programmed key is inserted to the ignition, the security light continues to blink.

And then remote key programming (the unlock//lock buttons) instructions for an 04 GX 470:

From: Key Fob Keyless Entry Remote for 2004 Lexus RX 330 with Programming Instructions

Whole process took about 1H (including research and failed attempts and setting off the panic 3 times). I could do it in 5mins now that I know how. Why dealers and mechanics charge for this, instead of handing you a printout is

Thanks for the shout out! That's a great looking pic for folks to get an idea for what that surface finish looks like. Very nice.

I just went through programming my 06LX keys and had to navigate a combo of Techstream and Simon-says methods. Glad you got yours figured out without too much hassle!

When I went into the dealer to have them cut a pre-assembled YotaMD key with a blank, the parts guy did a quadruple take on the blank key. It was funny to watch his reaction. "You want a key cut. Ok, great, let me see the ke...." awkward pause as he grabs the key and flips it over a few times... "Did you b..... this is.... Did... did we.... uh... hmmm. What is this?"

View attachment 2326840

View attachment 2326842

Took a while to find proper instructions for immobilizer programming instructions for an 04 GX 470 (and many posts inaccurately said it wasn't possible... yes of course its possible). I even asked the dealer if it was possible and they said they could do it for $63 per key or some bulls***, and got super weird when I asked if it was really just a series of closing and opening doors. What a grift!

Also a couple notes:

Video:

Thanks again for taking the time to research and explain this. One quick question... Am I totally SOL if my truck only came with a valet key?

Thanks again for taking the time to research and explain this. One quick question... Am I totally SOL if my truck only came with a valet key?

No idea what the solutions are in that case. I do know that while you can copy the cut, there is no way to reset or add new master keys the the immobilizer with a valet key alone. That’s the point of the valet key (your valet can’t make a working copy).
I have seen videos of people doing key additions with some kind of computer program and cable, but you might still need a master key for that. You will have to look around on that one.

Damn so:

The other day, I went through an automatic car wash.

I turned the car off during the wash, and when I got the end to turn back on, my radio stopped working.

Radio tuner worked but I got no volume and when I go to audio settings, fader balance has no ‘state’. It’s like the amp isn’t being found on the bus.

Later as I was driving it came back on an worked fine. For a few weeks.

This week I had factory service done on it at the mechanic. As I’m driving home, I noticed radio is out again. It’s now reliably not working for a few minutes every time I start the car. Weird thing is the amp fan seems to stay on sometimes even when I shut off the car. Is that normal? I did have a battery randomly die on me the other week. Did the mechanic bump a connector when changing the cabin air filter?

Seems like the ML amp is going out. Looks like some places repair this for $400. Anyone have clue what the repair details are?

EDIT:

More good details here:

Last edited:
Dmall update, was missing a battery clamp, which now that I look at it, is at risk of falling down into the engine bay if you hit some big bumps.

There was some confusion over which j hooks I needed and it turns out you need both lengths, one of each:

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.48.24 AM.png

I guess if you look closely you can see two different lengths.

IMG_5485.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

74451-52071 239mm bolt
74451-30090 183mm bolt
90179-06214 x2 nut
74481-26020 battery clamp

Just got an update from United Radio regarding the ML amp.

- Bench tests fine...
- But my battery drain situation is almost always an issue with the amp.
- $475 for a refurbed amp, and they keep mine.
- If that doesn't solve it (or only partially solved the issue), then the head unit may have issues.
- Head unit (the take deck, knobs and buttons) is $189 to repair.

So... going with the refurbed amp, since from what I can tell, thats at least part of the issue, and is defiantly a source of battery drain when you shut the car off when the audio isn't working.

Happy to hear the head unit repair is < $200 if I end up needing that too. This is definitely a price negotiating point if you every buy a GX, and the PO hasn't taken care of this.

Also shoutout United Radio customer service. You can talk to the tech actually running the bench tests and repairs, and they will fill you in and chat about the symptoms without compromise. Really cool to see that level of repair service still available these days.

Ok, I got a refurbed ML amp from United Radio, total price was about $535 which sounds like an increase from what they charged in the past. Bummer I can't replace it with something better/cheaper, but its cool the repair service is even available and will keep this running for hopefully another 10 years.

I just wanted to capture a weird issue I had the other day because I didn't find much when searching:

Symptoms: Hot day, went to crank the car, and all power just shut out 100%. Nothing had power.

Popped the hood and checked fuses, nothing seemed burnt out.

The battery terminals were very crusty from when the last battery went bad, I never property cleaned them. They appeared to be attached, but nothing was getting power.

I disconnected the terminals and reattached them, and got power back and tried to crank again, but the same thing happened, everything cut out.

I got a volt meter out and started checking continuity. Negative terminal and post were good, but positive terminal and post, I was only getting ~2.3v.

So I cleaned off the positive terminal a lot more aggressively and pushed it down onto the terminal aggressively and everything came back to normal.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Clean your terminals when they get crusty!!! Otherwise they can turn into weirdo resistors with bad continuity.

I made a video of my GROM Audio VL2 unit. I captured some thoughts below as well. Posting the video ASAP.

- I like it, it provides carplay to my 2004 GX 470
- The 2004 screen is really bad and its the worst part about the whole experience.
- Its pricy, but for the esoteric R&D grom has to do to get these to work, the price is fair.
- Group buys are the way to go when you buy one.
- Some people have issues in their cars for hard to diagnose reasons (usually video issues). In this case, they claim no questions asked returns which I have not tried, but in theory its a nice policy.
- Wireles Carplay works as well as it does in other systems (which is to say, not that well). Wired is the way to go.
- Installation is easy, but you will break some tabs on very expensive trim. They still will function the same.

Thanks man!! I've off-and-on looked for Valet key programming. My neighbor cut that key and it turns the engine over and physically unlocks doors (I got it for $6ish on ebay just as a hide-a-key after accidentally locking the master IN the truck while camping.... there's a story there ... in my build/ownership thread too, as you know 😝 ). You also know the story of my cracked housing on a master key. Thanks for telling me about these sweet Yota MD keys (maybe later). I was able to swap the transponder guts to my new ebay case and my neighbor (local locksmith) cut the blade so I'm back in business with that Master.

But Now I should be able to program my valet key to run the engine too!!! Thanks again! 🤘

View attachment 2326840

View attachment 2326842

Took a while to find proper instructions for immobilizer programming instructions for an 04 GX 470 (and many posts inaccurately said it wasn't possible... yes of course its possible). I even asked the dealer if it was possible and they said they could do it for $63 per key or some bulls***, and got super weird when I asked if it was really just a series of closing and opening doors. What a grift!

Also a couple notes:

Video:

Replaced LH Front and Rear Door window Moulding. For some reason, the rubber on one side of the car was totally disintegrated, or some kid or dog pulled it off. Happened with a PO, so who knows. I suspect the car was parted outside in intense sun on one side.

75712-60080
75722-60080

~$30 each on partsoq, but shipping is $60-70 from Dubai.

Easy fix, just unscrew and pull off the old moulding. Hard to do without destroying it, but its already totally messed up so no value in saving it as a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom