Battery selection for this daily driven truck. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I've got a 3 year old AC Delco Battery in group 27 sizing.

It's leaked from the caps since I bought it. I'm not saying that it couldn't be my fault from being overfilled with distilled water. It's likely, but I'm sick of it tearing up my stainless battery tray and hold down. I've never seen the alternator overcharge simply going by the gauge. It's got a locally rebuilt alternator that works well. Its maybe 1.5 years old. I've got 0/1g cables throughout the truck by @Fourrunner I've got the stainlesstrays.com trays with group 27 hold downs and I've got the 34/78 hold downs stashed.

Right now, I'm not ready to move my winch to a deep cycle and add a second battery. I'd like something that can be dual purpose and the winch barely gets used. I always carry a charged jumper pac just in case. Self starting isn't an issue.

It has very 60 series like tendencies:

-The voltage dips below 12v with the wipers and lights going
-The truck runs close to 14v on the highway.
-No voltage spikes or running above 14v

The battery has never failed to start the truck even on super cold days in big bend. I'd like a higher quality battery and I don't care if its Lead acid or sealed. I've got two other AGM batteries in my Roadrunner and Tacoma and they work perfectly.

I want a long term 48-60 month warrantied battery that can be used as a combination starting and deep cycle at first and then I'll add a deep cycle to the passengers side.

I've been looking at:

X2 Power Group 27
ODYSSEY PC1500/DT 34/78
Interstate Megatron MTP-27

I've looked into the sears diehard and I don't trust their supply network.

What other options should I look at? Why is my battery leaking? What is the meaning of life.

The caps leak usually because of heat causing the acid to swell or bad construction. Mine leak a little though it was a cheap replacement and gives me no issues otherwise. I just wipe the caps down to keep it from causing corrosion.

Johnson Controls makes Interstate/Optima and quite a few other AGM batteries, they are good, never ran into issues myself and that was in East Coast weird weather. From 100+ to below zero.

Odyssey and Northstar are from what I gather essentially the same quality/construction internally. Northstar makes X2 so in THEORY, Odyssey and X2 should be very very similar build quality/construction.

Odyssey/Northstar is definitely the boutique side of things if you're willing to spend the extra. Between the two, pick the better of the two warranties and/or whichever is easier to get locally. I've enjoyed Odyssey batteries, but depends on your price point. Northstar I believe runs a little higher.

Been running my group 34 Diehard Platinum since I bought BeBe. Should I ever have an issue I would purchase an Interstate as I have had good interactions with their customer service and also the research findings above.

I've heard back and forth about what are actually proper batteries. A good friend has had excellent luck with Optima and back luck with odyssey. I won't touch an optima at all.

The premium brands are alluring to me for the long warranties and that should be a top tier construction. I rely on a really old truck for daily transportation to my office and it also supports field work that my company profits from. Everything I can do to prevent it from failing or missing a deadline is important to me.

X2 is only though batteries plus which has a few locations in town and Odyssey is through 4wheelparts. I'm about 15 mins from my closest 4wp and there are 3 here in Houston.

Odyssey seems like the most common option next to interstate. I like the simplicity of a Lead acid, but due to the proximity of the fusible link and all my wiring to the caps, I'd rather not risk a leak or melt down that takes the wires out with the leak.

Something premium and sealed resolves that problem.

I have used Costco/Interstate in every vehicle for the past 15+ years. 48 month warranty, not prorated. Best part is they take your word for it when you tell them the battery is bad. I have driven to Costco, pulled the battery, exchanged it and been out of there in less than 15 mins

The battery caps are spitting acid because:

Batteries boil (bubble) when they're getting over charged and create hydrogen gas. The battery is getting overcharged on longer drives because the alternator keeps the voltage elevated while driving even if the battery is fully charged. That's the nature of car regulators.

The little bubbles rise to the top of the acid electrolyte in the battery and pop at the surface. Each time a little bubble pops it creates an aerosol acid mist inside the top of the battery air space.

Since the battery is constantly offgassing hydrogen when it's getting overcharged, that gas has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is out the battery caps.

The caps condense some of the acid out of the mist and acid liquid starts pooling inside the cap, but the continuous offgassing from overcharging causes that liquid pooling of acid inside the cap to get spit out periodically- landing on stuff in the engine bay.

There's no way to prevent overcharging and offgassing in a car driven long distances, but there is a way to help prevent spitting of acid— clean and dry the caps regularly, especially before a long drive.

Remove the cap and flush it under running fresh water to flush out the acid (wear gloves & eye protection). When it's clean, shake out all the water so the cap is dry inside.

It may be also that some brands of batteries have better designed caps than others which would minimize acid spitting.

That makes complete sense. I can't get this battery to test bad if I try, but the sloppiness of it all has frustrated me.

The fact that I've not had a vented battery since 2006 doesn't help much either. Everything has been AGM since then.

I've been cleaning it about once a month. Terminals off, battery out wipe down and dry. I never get corrosion on the terminals, just on the flat of the battery and the hardware.

I was really hoping that a high quality battery would ease the mess, but I guess its a positive that the charging system is working properly.

I have used Costco/Interstate in every vehicle for the past 15+ years. 48 month warranty, not prorated. Best part is they take your word for it when you tell them the battery is bad. I have driven to Costco, pulled the battery, exchanged it and been out of there in less than 15 mins

What size (class) did you end up with from them?

I just went out to check and of course, the label is facing forward. I am pretty sure it is the 27. Got about 1/8" from the radiator, and half an inch from inside the fender. Right side of top is even with the front clip and left side sticks up about 1/4". Fills OEM battery tray. My paperwork is at home, I can check tonight if you need me to. My current one has been in since February of this year and the caps show no sign of leaking. I've had plenty of days where the carb fan has come on this summer, so it has clearly gotten hot under the hood.

My local Costco doesn't have a 27 in stock and they suggest I go to another store to get it.

augustbatterywebsitebanner-jpg.1700496

84 month warranty and $140 from my dealer. Made by Interstate and can be warrantied through any dealer.

I think this is in the lead. I'm out of warranty on this Delco Anyway. It was only 2 year.

X2 Group 27 in my opinion.

You’ll never have to worry about it. Your driving it yours more than me. I normally throw a battery tender on it for long garage time.

I have run one in my 60 that I bought back in 2011.

Thats impressive. Thats on par with some of the positive odyssey stories I've heard.

I don't mind spending money for quality on this truck. If I spend $350 on a battery that lasts less than a year, I might send it through the front door of that store.

@Cruiserdrew recommended the Duracell from Batteries+.

We’re testing one out on the most recent LS swap. It’s a group 27, fills out the stainless tray nicely, and the Stainless Tray Group 27 clamp is a perfect fit. They aren’t too expensive, especially if you have a core.

0A20E81A-4F2B-4B96-82B8-D1F104DC9679.jpeg

CA3F5F8D-EAF8-455D-AF8E-F414C9F9C8E0.jpeg

Previous brand were odyssey & X2 Group 38 on both... they lasted about 7 years...
Now...
X2 Group 27 & Group 31....
A good battery tender is a must for long life....

The Toyota battery is what I have. After that , my other option is Walmart Everstart. Consumer Reports report then is top 3 batteries.

Went home and looked at my paperwork and apparently I purchased my DieHard Platinum in January 2013. So she has been running for a good 5 1/2yrs, close to 6yrs. In that time frame she has been out of the truck, on a concrete floor for weeks on end and I have NEVER had any issues with her starting the truck. When she dies, like I said before, she will be replaced with an Interstate AGM (probably group 27, maybe larger) either from Costco or direct from Interstate (good friend owns local distribution so I have an in).

Thanks - @OSS for an excellent explanation of battery acid 'spitting'.

I have heard (and now follow this rule) that filling batteries until the water hits the 'eye' (the circumferential lip inside each cell) is too full. All the water really needs to do is cover the plates, with a bit extra for good measure. But, if you run batteries low-ish on water, you need to check the level more often. The takeaway is 'don't fill your batteries so full'. By doing this, my batteries seem to spit less acid.

I have had very good results (very long life) with Toyota True Start batteries, even though they are a re-labeled Interstate.

Stop overthinking a car battery for daily driving.

If you are talking about using a winch, fridge, off road lights, etc, then get a better battery like the Odyssey By 34-PC1500T which is more of a deep cycle battery.
Otherwise any good quality battery like a Deka is enough.
Just make sure where every you buy from honers the warranty.

Hell for years in Canada, the Canadian Tire Motormaster is all I every used in every vehicle. Never had a problem and easy replacement policy.
If there was anything like them in the US, I would still be using that battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom