Battery keeps dying - Ideas for keeping battery fresh? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put a new battery in. It's my 3rd in the past 3 years. I don't drive my girl that much during the winter (sometimes 1x/month) but I do try to take her to work every couple weeks when I remember.

So my question is, how do I keep my battery in good condition if it's not being driven that much? I have a battery tender on it but that doesn't seem to be keeping the battery in shape (ea of the past 2 batteries could not hold a charge after about a year). The guy at Pep Boys suggested disconnecting the battery. It's currently parked in my driveway so I'd prefer to keep the battery connected so my alarm is activated.

Anyone have any alternates to disconnecting the battery? I know, I know, drive it more, and I will once I finish the restoration (I'm still snailing on the paint job)

Gracias!

Not sure it will help. Most of these cruisers have been sitting for some time. I am sure a bunch of relays are secretly stuck open and causing parasite drains.

I have a 2018 Yellow Optima battery that I keep on a walmart $22 battery tender in the garage and hook it up when I am going to drive her.

Battery Tender till you time to Isolate and Confirm Drain.

For the battery, as above, put it on a smart trickle charger.

What type batteries are you using?

IME any battery (connected) will die or get very weak after a vehicle sits for 4-6 months, AGM or deep cycle may do a bit better.

For the thieves:

To prevent theft first park it in such a way that it would be difficult for the thief to see it from the road, but also make it difficult for them to drive it or tow it away quickly or quietly without making a lot of noise. Put a motion activated very bright security light pointing directly at the vehicle. Thieves do not like bright lights. Adding a wireless camera might also help ie: notify you that someone is messing with your vehicle.

Next step, you could use either a large diameter cut-resistant chain or coated flexible weather resistant wire rope (cable) and wrap either around one of the axle housings and then lock the chain/cable to a concrete post deep in the ground.

Most thieves will not take the time or increased risk and move on to the next vehicle.

100 watt solar panel installed on the roof rack works for me. Battery always fresh and fully charged. 80 is parked outside, so even on the cloudy day it will charge. Dead battery in the 80 is the thing of the past.

I ran a small NOCO smart charger before installing a solar panel. Now I don't worry. I have enough crap on all the time that I cant let it sit for two weeks.

Mine sits more than its driven also. I run it to work once a week or so, but when its just sitting in the garage I put a tender on it. I run a yellow top Optima also. I dont even bother unhooking it. The charger came with a lead that I ran thru the grille and can just plug in/unplug it easily

I use Battery Tenders on my vehicles. I have one that can charge different types of batteries. My batteries are always charged and ready to go, and they last for years.

As noted above, use a battery tender on your rig every time it is parked until you figure out the parasitic drain in your 80. Several threads here on how to track down battery drains. This is worth your time to get this knowledge in your head and to get your 80 in order.

I used the solar batt charging set-up noted above on my trailer for many years to keep its AGM battery topped off while parked (until the solar panel died due to weather leaks). The lack of cords and plugging/unplugging with this configuration great.

I have this "Cadillac" of smart battery chargers (top link below) that I regularly use on several AGM and lead-acid batteries around our varied herd. This charger is a bit more than most people need, but it is programmed for the different charging needs of a variety of battery types, plus it has a desulfation (see bottom link below) program that kicks in automatically. I almost always get more than 5 years out my vehicle batteries. Cheers.

I just put a new battery in. It's my 3rd in the past 3 years. I don't drive my girl that much during the winter (sometimes 1x/month) but I do try to take her to work every couple weeks when I remember.

So my question is, how do I keep my battery in good condition if it's not being driven that much? I have a battery tender on it but that doesn't seem to be keeping the battery in shape (ea of the past 2 batteries could not hold a charge after about a year). The guy at Pep Boys suggested disconnecting the battery. It's currently parked in my driveway so I'd prefer to keep the battery connected so my alarm is activated.

Anyone have any alternates to disconnecting the battery? I know, I know, drive it more, and I will once I finish the restoration (I'm still snailing on the paint job)

Gracias!
If you already have a battery tender on it, then you have a pretty serious drain.

If you still have the "factory" alarm, that could be your issue. I was having bizarre electrical issues until one day mine decided it wanted to go off in a parking lot and completely disable my truck. I have NEVER had a fob and only locked the doors with the button inside and used the key to unlock.

After that issue, I ripped out the factory alarm by the roots and all my electical issues went away.

If you MUST have an alarm, have a new one (maybe viper) installed professionally.

Otherwise, use a battery disconnect under the hood that can be quickly turned back to power so you can drive it. That said, UNLESS you MUST have an alarm for glass breakage or such.

Amazon product ASIN B09W5KDTN2

Oh yea - I had a 1994 viper alarm on mine which I ripped out in 2020 when I was home during covid. That really helped lower the amount of battery drain.

anyone want a vintage viper alarm? protected by viper stand back

"you're concerned the vehicle could be stolen with no battery in it? In other words, towed away. Rough neighborhood!"

A family I knew years ago had their Camaro towed away in the middle of the night while renting a beach house in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. They didn't call for a tow, they were sleeping and the commotion woke them up, too late however to intervene so they called 911. State Troopers caught the perps driving the tow truck down the Interstate with the vehicle still attached.

Last edited:
Not all battery chargers are the same.

I just bought a small Noco battery charger. I paid a bit extra for the 10amp version.

previous smart charger won't charge a battery below a certain volt threshold.

i killed a yellow topthrough lack of use, and a couple of decent quality batteries have died in quick succession through lack of use.

The Noco is a smart charger that has an over ride button to kick start charging if the battery is at less than 1 volt.

It also has a de-sulfation cycle to repair batteries that have been left to drain down.
Apparently sulphur? sulphides?? coats the plates and prevents effective charging.

I bought a set of pigtails with a waterproof fitting so i can plug the charger in without lifting the hood

test the draw w/ the key off. report back

what type of battery? lead acid? agm? agm prefers a higher charging voltage, but mine is doing fine on the OE alternator. i did splurge for a new maintainer that has an AGM profile, repair mode, 12v supply mode, and higher amps. its a Noco 10A. my ~1A Battery Tender still works but I keep that on a different car w/ a lead acid battery. both vehicles have permanent cables connected so i can quickly connect the chargers.

For the battery, as above, put it on a smart trickle charger.

What type batteries are you using?

IME any battery (connected) will die or get very weak after a vehicle sits for 4-6 months, AGM or deep cycle may do a bit better.

For the thieves:

To prevent theft first park it in such a way that it would be difficult for the thief to see it from the road, but also make it difficult for them to drive it or tow it away quickly or quietly without making a lot of noise. Put a motion activated very bright security light pointing directly at the vehicle. Thieves do not like bright lights. Adding a wireless camera might also help ie: notify you that someone is messing with your vehicle.

Next step, you could use either a large diameter cut-resistant chain or coated flexible weather resistant wire rope (cable) and wrap either around one of the axle housings and then lock the chain/cable to a concrete post deep in the ground.

Most thieves will not take the time or increased risk and move on to the next vehicle.
I live in a pretty safe place and now that I bought a shed for my motorcycle, I’ll park my LC in the garage.

But I do worry about my cats when it’s been sitting out in my driveway.

Just to be clear, you're concerned the vehicle could be stolen with no battery in it? In other words, towed away. Rough neighborhood!
As I mentioned in another reply, more concerned about things being stolen from inside or the cats from underneath…even though the alarm is probably useless protecting the cats 😞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom