B to 15B-F swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Test fitting the engine with the bigger dyna mounts. It didn't work in the end, the engine was sitting way high and the bellhousing mount did not line up at all.

I tried the B block mounts and rubber mount and they worked awesome - very factory position of the engine.

All three photos are with the bigger non working mounts

View attachment 1636689

View attachment 1636690

View attachment 1636691
It's a long shot but would like to ask if you have a pictures of the B brackets (bolted to engine) you used for your 15BF, mine seems different. Secondly, are these B brackets bolted exactly on the same locations where 15BF bracket attached or have to move forward (there are two bolt holes besides original 15BF bracket, normally used for AC Compressor bracket)? Thanks!

It's a long shot but would like to ask if you have a pictures of the B brackets (bolted to engine) you used for your 15BF, mine seems different. Secondly, are these B brackets bolted exactly on the same locations where 15BF bracket attached or have to move forward (there are two bolt holes besides original 15BF bracket, normally used for AC Compressor bracket)? Thanks!

Mine isn't in yet but a mate's is. Original 3B engine side brackets mounted forward of the 15BFT brackets. The holes are already there, I think mine were also threaded but needed cleaning and chasing for obvious reasons. Also think I had to remove the low mount AC bracket to fit. Use good quality 3B rubber mounts as the 15B ones are too thick, might be a good idea to chain or brace them while you have access so the mighty 15B doesn't rip the tension side.

The 70 series 3B engine brackets are different to the 40 series 3B engine side brackets, that's the only potential issue I can think of.

EDIT: to be clear, the 15B engine side brackets and rubber mounts are not suitable for a bolt-in-replacemnet 40 series application, and likely not a 70 series either.

Great info. I have a 3B in my BJ42 and cannot change the block for legal reasons. Was wondering if I could keep the block but use head, injectors, crankshat pistons, pump, etc from a newer generation engine like 14B or 15B? Has anybody tried this? Thanks!
1609877238331.png

I don't know about the 14B head, but the 15B won't fit because it requires a larger bore to accommodate the 4 valves per cylinder. 3B, and 14B are 102mm, the 15B is 108mm.

Great info. I have a 3B in my BJ42 and cannot change the block for legal reasons. Was wondering if I could keep the block but use head, injectors, crankshat pistons, pump, etc from a newer generation engine like 14B or 15B? Has anybody tried this? Thanks!

I don't think that's going to be possible. You could turbo the 3B, but I would guess that a 13B head would not fit on a 3B block, do some online research and let us know if anyone has done it.

Judging by my experience with over-fuelling caused by a blown IP diaphragm, the inline 3B pump easily has enough capacity to supply fuel for a low boost turbo. Rebuild the injectors, add turbo with a small intercooler, and fit a fresh IP diaphragm as they're leather and degrade over time. The 3B crankcase ventilation is dumped out the side of the block on mine, with the extra turbo blow by it would be a good idea to fit a catch can.

The aftermarket CT12B turbos for a 1KZ are probably the perfect size for low boost on a 3B with a low RPM spool up - the 4.1L 15BFT version CT12B is said to spool almost from idle, with the engine being happiest below 3k RPM. Would make the little 3B more drivable, but IMHO they're already a pokier engine than the 2H slugs although a bit tractor-like!! Due to the indirect injection I wouldn't run much extra fuel and keep the boost ~8PSI. 100% uneducated assumptions YMMV!

FYI, my mate with a 15BFT put his in because his turbo'd 3B had a major failure and put a window in the side of the block, so go easy on the 40yo diesel tractor lump!

I'd be surprised if a 13B head didn't fit on a 3B block however you'll need the pistons, fuel injectors, oil squirters etc to turn it into a 13BT - a 12HT head fits on a 2H block

I'd be surprised if a 13B head didn't fit on a 3B block however you'll need the pistons, fuel injectors, oil squirters etc to turn it into a 13BT - a 12HT head fits on a 2H block

Even if that was possible, the 13BT injection pump is different which may require swapping the timing covers etc over as if it's anything like the 15B engines they're all different. If it could work it would likely involve swapping everything over from the 13BT and hoping it all fits.

The H engines and B engines are from different manufacturers in the Toyota family AFAIA - B series usually have Daihatsu stamped all over them. Unconfirmed toyota folklore is that Hino developed the H diesels. Just had a look at pics of head gaskets and at a glance it looks like the holes all align so it may be possible to make a 3B/13B combo.

Why can't you change the block? Is there no approval/engineering process in your country?

Even if that was possible, the 13BT injection pump is different which may require swapping the timing covers etc over as if it's anything like the 15B engines they're all different. If it could work it would likely involve swapping everything over from the 13BT and hoping it all fits.

The H engines and B engines are from different manufacturers in the Toyota family AFAIA - B series usually have Daihatsu stamped all over them. Unconfirmed toyota folklore is that Hino developed the H diesels. Just had a look at pics of head gaskets and at a glance it looks like the holes all align so it may be possible to make a 3B/13B combo.
I would think a 15B would have a rotary pump? All the 13BT I've ever seen have an inline pump as would an earlier 3B. To make it viable you'd need a complete 13BT which sort of defeats the purpose

I would think a 15B would have a rotary pump? All the 13BT I've ever seen have an inline pump as would an earlier 3B. To make it viable you'd need a complete 13BT which sort of defeats the purpose
I've got 3B with inline, 3B with rotary, 15BFT with an inline pump

13BT I've only seen inline, 14BT pics i've seen were rotary, 15B had mechanical rotary, electronic rotary and inline versions

Why can't you change the block? Is there no approval/engineering process in your country?
Unfo no, there is not, I am currently in Italy were my BJ42 is. If it was in any other place could be different. I am building a Patrol in my brother's shop in Spain with a BMW engine and also have FZJ80 in Argentina but that one does not need any engine mods.
Basically what I am trying to establish is what is the best way to upgrade a busted 3B from 1984 not considering time or money. Thanks!

I have a B series alloy and a B series cast iron in the garage, maybe I didn’t need to buy the cast iron one to use stock crossmember and mounts after all! If I find time tomorrow I’ll see if I can measure them to compare.
Did you ever find out if the cast iron and aluminum bellhousing set the transmission at different angles?

Did you ever find out if the cast iron and aluminum bellhousing set the transmission at different angles?
The alloy one is buried in spare parts, I'll be emptying the garage sometime soonish, will have to devise a method to test it as I've got a cast iron and an alloy floating around.

Finally some progress.

Decided to ditch the 360mm flywheel and ordered a brand new one from Toyota at 560e. It is a 330mm unit, part #: 13405-56041 which replaces the 13405-56040. I believe this is the same flywheel some 15b's came with from factory.

View attachment 1354536 View attachment 1354537

I was surprised to find out that the new flywheel is much heavier and taller than the old one.

What will be the difference in using the heavier flywheel?

View attachment 1354553
Thread dig. Did this flywheel fit with the 4 speed cast bell housing? Im looking to do this conversion and am struggling to find a 330mm flywheel 8 bolt.
Thanks!

Thread dig. Did this flywheel fit with the 4 speed cast bell housing? Im looking to do this conversion and am struggling to find a 330mm flywheel 8 bolt.
Thanks!

I've got PN 13405-56041, a friend has this PN flywheel in his BJ40 with cast iron bellhousing to a 15BFT. Just needed to grind the bellhousing a little and trim about 5mm off the outer edge of the pressure plate. It was ~USD320 from partsouq 2 yrs ago.

edit: I just checked and this PN is no longer available from partsouq. I expect it's because of everyone doing 15BF swaps lately. Talk to your local parts interpreter and see if they can find you a PN from a similar model (maybe small vs large Dyna vs coaster may have had different size flywheels?

I've got PN 13405-56041, a friend has this PN flywheel in his BJ40 with cast iron bellhousing to a 15BFT. Just needed to grind the bellhousing a little and trim about 5mm off the outer edge of the pressure plate. It was ~USD320 from partsouq 2 yrs ago.

edit: I just checked and this PN is no longer available from partsouq. I expect it's because of everyone doing 15BF swaps lately. Talk to your local parts interpreter and see if they can find you a PN from a similar model (maybe small vs large Dyna vs coaster may have had different size flywheels?
Thankyou. Much appreciated

If you have a 3Bii (blue block 3B), that block is identical to a 14B block. You can see they are cast with both engine model numbers, with one being machined off to suit. So you could make a 14B-T with the same block. 15B head will not fit.

If you have a early 3B, then I am 95% sure that 13B-T parts will bolt straight onto the block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom