Axle hub leaking - need assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would rebuild both yourself with new hardware. Not trying to bash but that is crappy by someone who should know better, then the fact that he isn’t trying to fix the issue? Must be cause of Covid
Use oem hardware and seals
Cruiser outfitters sells a good kit, looks like some of those knuckle studs are loose? Have you tried tightening them? I wouldn’t drive like that, if those knuckles are loose they can pop off and it won’t be good. Fix it asap and do it yourself. Where are you located maybe someone nearby that actually knows what they are doing can help you. Reach out to your club house

Last edited:
I would probably just get new studs, cone washers, washers and nuts as well. That sucks man. :(

Trailtailor did the work. I purchased an fj60 that he had did an axle swap on that He said he used the marlin kit on but did not answer if it was grease or gear oil he used
So Trailtailor did the work for you or was it done before you purchased the truck.

Is there documentation for work done because it does not sound like @TRAIL TAILOR

I purchased it from the person who had the work done by trail tailor . Here is the link for the build - had to sign out to find it because I cannot pull anything of his up
I reached out to him directly via email, Instagram and he finally responded over private message on here. After I started this thread Asking for help, I asked him to clarify if he used grease or gear oil as one of you asked and that’s when it appears he blocked me. I understand that I didn’t directly purchase it from him but It’s unfortunate he really isn’t willing to help. Hasn’t been that long or that many miles driven on it since it was picked up for it to be having these issues. But it is what it is and I just want to be able to drive this thing

Does the hardware come with that rebuild kit or do I need to purchase separately? I was gonna take it to a shop but maybe it’s too risky to keep driving it

I purchased it from the person who had the work done by trail tailor . Here is the link for the build - had to sign out to find it because I cannot pull anything of his up
I reached out to him directly via email, Instagram and he finally responded over private message on here. After I started this thread Asking for help, I asked him to clarify if he used grease or gear oil as one of you asked and that’s when it appears he blocked me. I understand that I didn’t directly purchase it from him but It’s unfortunate he really isn’t willing to help. Hasn’t been that long or that many miles driven on it since it was picked up for it to be having these issues. But it is what it is and I just want to be able to drive this thing

Does the hardware come with that rebuild kit or do I need to purchase separately? I was gonna take it to a shop but maybe it’s too risky to keep driving it

Sorry for your troubles, from the build thread it looks like you have a sweet rig.
In my past dealings with Jason @ Trail Tailor he is a stand up guy and you can see from the build thread that he does quality work !
My guess is that he was insulted when you asked if he put gear oil in the knuckles only a buffoon would do that, and that possibly there some issue with the original owner who you bought the rig from.
In any case I don't think it's like a new car warranty that passes along to the new buyer 🤷‍♂️

As far as the hardware you would need to purchase it separately.

In both axle the axle seals are leaking and you need to address that. I would think that you don't need a full rebuild kit, just seals gaskets and new felts.
And the new hardware.

Good luck
Cheers

Does the hardware come with that rebuild kit or do I need to purchase separately?

You should probably keep a spares container with, at least:

* Four knuckle studs, cone washers, washers, and nuts. Not that big of an issue on daily drivers, but anything that's seen considerable off-road use could have issues here.
* Two axle adjusting nuts. Previous owners have a habit of using punches instead of 54mm sockets on them.
* At least two lock washers for the adjusting nuts.
* Two thrust washers (that go between the bearings and the adjusting nuts).
* Six hub studs, cone washers, washers, and nuts. They're the same front and rear, six per hub, so order more if you think you've got stripped ones.
* A few spare flange gaskets and snap rings.

Somehow, PO's manage to mangle hub studs like crazy. If you don't own a welder, a stud remover/installer is a great way to get a stripped stud out. Actually, it's great either way. Assenmacher 200-8 works well and is ~$20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom