awnings off a roof rack suggestions and pictures please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We are selling these campinglab awning at special introductory offer right now, $200 plus shipping for the awning alone, if you're interested in any other of our products and order it with the awning we can give you a slightly better price or maybe free shipping depending on your order.

Fernando

I used aluminum tubing I think it was from a pool net in the rack and a OD military tarp 6x8'' and 2 adjustable polls.

1371578064_l.jpg

Last edited:
Campinglaab/ ARB

The Campinglab is built just like the ARB and for $200 its a steal. Just make sure you stake it down before you reach for a:beer: , a little wind and your awning could look like this.

Lou
awning-1.jpg
awning-2.jpg
awning-3.jpg

I saw a design this weekend that was really interesting...I don't have a pic but will try to describe it:

The frame consisted of a large hoop mounted to the rear of the rig. At the bottom of each "leg" was a pivot/hinge, so that the top of the "hoop" (think upside down U) could pivot away from the rig. Canvas was attached at the rear of the truck roof, and around the top of the hoop.

When the hoop was slanted away from the rig, the canvas "awning" extended and supported the hoop itself, providing a small awning over the rear of the truck.

Clear as mud, right....

-H-

An idea I had awhile back. Using full extension drawer glides I support two frames that support two sets of solar panels. Frame 1 pulls out about 63 or 64 inches. On it is a second frame that pulls out another 63 to 64 inches. The end of the second frame has supports that go diagonally back to the rig, not ground. This allows a big increase in solar panel area and allows for shade next to the rig. Using 9 200W BP panels I figure it is enough to provide air conditioning all night in the rig with plenty left over for the computer and other uses. Of course, this is a very expensive awning but is does have it's secondary uses...:lol:

Using 9 200W BP panels I figure it is enough to provide air conditioning all night in the rig with plenty left over for the computer and other uses.

Wow... your solar panels work at night?

I saw a design this weekend that was really interesting...I don't have a pic but will try to describe it:

The frame consisted of a large hoop mounted to the rear of the rig. At the bottom of each "leg" was a pivot/hinge, so that the top of the "hoop" (think upside down U) could pivot away from the rig. Canvas was attached at the rear of the truck roof, and around the top of the hoop.

When the hoop was slanted away from the rig, the canvas "awning" extended and supported the hoop itself, providing a small awning over the rear of the truck.

I think I get the idea of this design. I like its simplicity, but it sounds like it would use up a lot of roof space and impede a roof rack??

Wow... your solar panels work at night?

No, but they can charge a battery bank during the day.:D I figure 4 to 6 hours good charging a day, and the most efficient 9000btu DC powered air conditioner uses 600W when running. Figuring a 50% duty cycle, that is 300W per hour AC is on plus 300W more for the first hour to cool the rig off. Figure 12 hours, it will be less than that. 12 hours at 50% duty cycle plus 300W for initial cooling is 3900W used from 1800W * 4 hours * 80% (charging efficiency) = roughly 5760W stored into the batteries per day. The weight of the battery pack is significant.:) If I did put in AC like this I'd rip out the engine powered air conditioner and just use the DC powered one. I'd also install a 24VDC alternator on a clutch in place of the engine AC compressor and run a 24VDC battery pack for AC and an inverter to run 120VAC stuff. Going from 12VDC to 24VDC on the air conditioner gives around a 6% increase in efficiency.:)

I remember this old thread, I must have subscribed to it as I was just notified it got bumped.
Anyways, this thread was probably why I ended up getting the long Campinglabs one.

It has been on both the factory rack and now the BajaRack since spring of 2008, and it has served me well.

Factory rack

4.jpg

BajaRack model MG

42.jpg

I recycled an old ez-up awning after the legs become bent and broken. I sewed some velcro strips to secure it my roof rack, and 3 adjustable poles with guy lines to hold it up. It works pretty well and rolls up to a small bundle. Sorry, I can't seem to locate the couple of pics I have of it set up right now for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom