Roof conversion HZJ78 Troopy /Please help (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone
We are Ernst & Jiew from Switzerland/Thailand and traveling trough USA. We love it.

We are considering for better comfort a roof conversion. Who does something like this here in the West? What are the price here in USA? Is it maybe cheaper in Mexico?

Thanks a lot for your answers and hints

No recommendations?

As far as I know there are no US based manufacturers of roof conversions for Troopies. That said, Fit Garage in Bend, OR has done quite a few AluCab conversions: Fit Garage - http://www.thefitgarage.com/

I’m sure there are other places doing conversions as well, but I don’t know of them by name. Several US Troopy owners are working on a group buy of the Alu-Innovations roof conversion, sounds like installation would either be diy or at a shop of your choosing.

Thanks @AirheadNut
Looks like here in the US you also import most of the gear from South Africa or Australia … same like in Europe.
I also found some guys in Tucson doing roof conversions. And the prices are like in Europe or even higher …

I was just in Grand Junction, CO a month or so ago. This is a very good aluminum conversion, all done in shop.
He has a cabinetmaker onsite and they are done in the same shop. Very good workmanship. Prices start around $8500, but
full on will be over $10K I am sure. I am not aware of anyone in Mexico doing anything like this.
BTW, if you get to western Canada, Vancouver Island let me know.

Look up Alu-Cab dealers. Maybe someone can help you out with their product, it's from South Africa and is a
highly rated standard.

Thanks a lot @cruiserpilot
That product looks good and is sure worth to have a closer look. Unfortunately the delivery time is long. But with some planning no problem.

The AluCab roofs look good too and is a well developed product. That is so far my favorite product.

We past btw Vancouver in September … but maybe we‘ll come back next summer

Glad to help. The guys in Colorado are certainly worth circling back for I think. Have a good trip. Look forward to hearing more should you come back this way.

Hey ernst1101

I don't know if you are still interested in a pop top conversion, but if coming back to the US and want some one to do it for you I would recommend the Fit Garage. @Willis has done quite a few Alu-Cab installs/conversions and he is a Troopy owner. You would have to ask him about costs. No idea about Mexico, but any competent body shop should be able to do it with supervision and attention to detail. It's not too bad to do it yourself if you have the tools and space handy. I ordered a top from Alu-Innovations, in South Africa and installed it myself... PM if you want more info. I really enjoy your travel series on the youtube

Convertable.jpg

AI Installed 01.jpeg

AI Installed 02.jpeg

beachin.jpg

post surf.jpg

Last edited:
@svsisu
Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes I am still interested but also hesitate. Your Cruiser looks really good. I wouldn’t dare to do it by myself due to lack of experience.

Sometimes I think I‘ll wait with that job until we reach South Africa or Australia (no serious plans yet) And the costs also make me a bit hesitant . So you see I did not made yet a decision …

Last edited:
@svsisu
Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes I am still interested but also hesitate. Your Cruiser looks really good. I wouldn’t dare to do it by myself due to lack of experience.

Sometimes I think I‘ll wait with that job until we reach South Africa or Australia (no serious plans yet) And the costs also make me a bit 😃. So you see I did not made yet a decision …

This is a great investment expansive but down the road it's worth it

Seriously worth it if it fits your travel style. And unlike when I bought mine there are some more affordable options out there.

@svsisu

Sometimes I think I‘ll wait with that job until we reach South Africa or Australia (no serious plans yet) And the costs also make me a bit hesitant . So you see I did not made yet a decision …
If you are planning to go to South Africa in the next year or two it makes sense to wait. You are used to living with your current set up, and if you wait until you are in S. Africa you could go direct to the Alu-Innovations shop and have them install it. The cost of installation would be much less there.

If you are planning to go to South Africa in the next year or two it makes sense to wait. You are used to living with your current set up, and if you wait until you are in S. Africa you could go direct to the Alu-Innovations shop and have them install it. The cost of installation would be much less there.
That is exactly what I am thinking too. Currently we are traveling down to Argentina and then maybe to Africa or Australia. And indeed we are used to our setup. It’s not perfect but it works well

And then also the costs. Here in the Americas it is the same as in Europe. All those goodies are imported and much more expensive. If such a roof conversation costs about the same as 6 months traveling… well, that’s a lot … and the main reason that we don’t have it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom