80 Series - New Aluminum Roof Rack - 600$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello forum,

Recently became interested in replacing my con-ferr roof rack on my 80 series. I like the racks available, especially the bowfin cruisers, but do not have $1k to spend on it. So I decided to design my own roof rack, the design is similar to any gutter rail roof rack out there.

Has tie down on the front and rear, I estimate for it sit about 1” above roof. Will come with 4 2” aluminum cross bars but can be expanded to 9. Aluminum side is from 1/4” with 4(four!) gutter clamps. Once I get the prototype verified, will design a front wind screen.

My goal is to not make money off this, but to provide a budget great roof rack to those available. Honorable mention goes to awesome roof racks like bowfin cruises, delta and others. However, I’m aiming to have this around 600$.

Wanted to share this here and track the progress and interest, I might consider a production run.

Thanks!

IMG_4926.jpeg

Progress update 3/4/24

Modified the revision a bit, increased the height and revised the clamping hooks. So far coming up with off the shelf hardware for clamping hooks is the biggest challenge.

Here’s a masonrite template for fitment. Looks like the rear is too long, I don’t have a factory spoiler installed but those who do, might run into issues.
IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

Progress update 3/4/24

Modified the revision a bit, increased the height and revised the clamping hooks. So far coming up with off the shelf hardware for clamping hooks is the biggest challenge.

Here’s a masonrite template for fitment. Looks like the rear is too long, I don’t have a factory spoiler installed but those who do, might run into issues.
View attachment 3574169
View attachment 3574171
Reason height is increased? I'd prefer low and tight to fit into my garage with 37/38s......thats just me.👍

Reason height is increased? I'd prefer low and tight to fit into my garage with 37/38s......thats just me.👍
Yeah I’m in the same boat. I thought I would need more height for the gutter clamps but that’s no longer the case. I’m going to take about 1/2-3/4 off the total height.

Do happen to have the rear spoiler on your rear hatch?

Yeah I’m in the same boat. I thought I would need more height for the gutter clamps but that’s no longer the case. I’m going to take about 1/2-3/4 off the total height.

Do happen to have the rear spoiler on your rear hatch?
No rear spoiler on rear hatch

Still working on the rack. The hardest part is the attachment to the railing system. I’ve polished out the side rail, can come in 3 lengths,

Half rack
Full tack
Extended rack (will not fit with hatch spoiler)

This is what I’m doing for the gutter mounts, basically a modified con-ferr design. Keeping it simple.

IMG_5568.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom