Aux Tank Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve had my tank for about 6 fill ups so far. First one was flawless. second time it clicked off multiple times on the main tank and only once on the aux tank. Since then it’s been hit or miss. The last two times it has shut off multiple times while filling the main tank. I’ve tried different depths and different angles.

Can those of you with a bit more experience kindly grab an “angle pic” during your next fill up? I hope I just need to find the magic combo and then repeat it!

This was not it!

3727798E-7E41-47C9-92D9-83F9D3AEFDE2.jpeg

I’ve had my tank for about 6 fill ups so far. First one was flawless. second time it clicked off multiple times on the main tank and only once on the aux tank. Since then it’s been hit or miss. The last two times it has shut off multiple times while filling the main tank. I’ve tried different depths and different angles.

Can those of you with a bit more experience kindly grab an “angle pic” during your next fill up? I hope I just need to find the magic combo and then repeat it!

This was not it!

View attachment 1940569

It does get better with practice, but occasionally I run into a pump that is just super sensitive to splash-back.

95% of my Costco fill-ups go without a single stoppage...

Have you found the main is better than the aux or vice versa? Is there a magic angle or is it just luck of the draw?

I’ll try standing on one leg next time if need be!

Have you found the main is better than the aux or vice versa? Is there a magic angle or is it just luck of the draw?

I’ll try standing on one leg next time if need be!

The aux tank fills with no problem on mine. It’s the main tank that trips every few gallons.

If Both are empty, I fill the main first...then aux.

You just want the spout facing directly down each tube rather than angling toward the side of each tube.

Those systems work on back pressure. And it is a function of the size of the fill tube. You now have smaller fill tubes, so the back pressure increases, so it is more likely to cut off. I find that I can still fill my main tank at full flow, but I cannot fill my auxiliary tank at full flow, I generally do it at the first click of the device that sets the fuel flow rate.

Last edited:
Just about to pull the trigger on one of these and saw this thread....

I'm stuck between the 24 and 40gal - I have no prob relocating the spare. I don't often go on trips where there are no gas stations for more than about 200miles, but I like the idea of being able to drive for 900 miles straight if I want without pumping gas.

My ONLY concern is how much farther down the 40gal hangs. I've seen where it was mentioned that the 24gal tucks up even closer than the factory spare and I believe Ward said the 40g hangs down another 3-4 inches below the 24gal.

I don't do any rock crawler per se, but might if the opportunity arose and wouldn't want to have a tank be the reason I couldn't. Mostly dirt trails, forest service roads, camping, etc. I will probably have a metal skid welded onto the bottom of the tank before install as well.

So is there anyone with experience with both the 24 and 40 that can detail how much the lowered clearance of the 40 is an issue - if it's an issue at all? Seems like people have talked around this issue but I couldn't find anything exactly addressing it.

Thanks!

If your concern is clearance, from my research, even the 40 won't be a problem. A stock spare hangs lower than the 40. So does the muffler.

My opinion to opt for the 24 would be that the 40 would he overkill. More weight from the tank. More weight of gas. Sure you don't have to fill it full. Even my 12.5 is a game changer and I don't want for more. 24 would be a sweet spot without the need for more weight, and weight again in armor. It'll be all the capacity you'd ever need IMO. But only you know how you're going to use your vehicle.

If your concern is clearance, from my research, even the 40 won't be a problem. A stock spare hangs lower than the 40. So does the muffler.

My opinion to opt for the 24 would be that the 40 would he overkill. More weight from the tank. More weight of gas. Sure you don't have to fill it full. Even my 12.5 is a game changer and I don't want for more. 24 would be a sweet spot without the need for more weight, and weight again in armor. It'll be all the capacity you'd ever need IMO. But only you know how you're going to use your vehicle.

Oh ok I didn't realize the 40 was higher up than even the stock spare. That's pretty much exactly what I needed to know and exactly what I wanted to hear. And you're right about the 40g probably being overkill. I can't find weight details on the American versions, but according to the weight specs on the Australian tanks the weight difference between the 60L and 170L tanks is only 12kg (~26 lbs), so I can't imagine the weight difference between the 24gal and 40gal is anymore than 30-35lb, which is basically negligible for my purposes. Glad to hear it doesn't hang down as far as I was thinking - thanks for the info!

Oh ok I didn't realize the 40 was higher up than even the stock spare. That's pretty much exactly what I needed to know and exactly what I wanted to hear. And you're right about the 40g probably being overkill. I can't find weight details on the American versions, but according to the weight specs on the Australian tanks the weight difference between the 60L and 170L tanks is only 12kg (~26 lbs), so I can't imagine the weight difference between the 24gal and 40gal is anymore than 30-35lb, which is basically negligible for my purposes. Glad to hear it doesn't hang down as far as I was thinking - thanks for the info!

My reasoning: Since I lose my spare with both the 40 and the 24, I might as well get the 40, just in case I ever want the extra capacity. Maybe I’ll install a way to siphon off gas for other useage, such as a buddy running out, or to use on another off-road toy, etc. I just cannot see the downside of going to the 40, since I lose the spare either way.

Last edited:
My reasoning: Since I lose my spare with both the 40 and the 24, I might as well get the 40, just in case I ever want the extra capacity. Maybe I’ll install a way to siphon off gas for other useage, such as a buddy running out, or to use on another off-road toy, etc. I just cannot see the downside of going to the 40, since I lose the spare either way.

Yup I totally agree... I ordered the 40gal. So I still have more or equal clearance than the factory spare and I'm only adding about 30lbs plus however much fuel I want to keep in there (max 240lbs when it's completely full)... It's a no brainier for me. Regardless of going on long trips, I love the idea of only having to fill up about once or maybe twice a month rather than once or twice A WEEK. Thanks for all the discussion guys.. Super helpful.

Just picked up my 2013 200 series with a 40 gallon auxiliary tank and I am on our first trip using it
We just refilled the main tank while we were driving very convenient.

However , the system only pumps for 2 minutes at a time and then stops.

I was told that this is a 'learning " system and that it might take a couple of fill UPS before it works the way it's supposed to.

Just picked up my 2013 200 series with a 40 gallon auxiliary tank and I am on our first trip using it
We just refilled the main tank while we were driving very convenient.

However , the system only pumps for 2 minutes at a time and then stops.

I was told that this is a 'learning " system and that it might take a couple of fill UPS before it works the way it's supposed to.

Is yours the one John @ Caveman just finished?!

The micro processor in the switch will shut the pump down after 2 minutes if the red fuel level LED is illuminated.
The micro processor is a “slow learner” only on the first fill-up; it can take 15-30 minutes to display the proper fuel level. Subsequent fill-ups will display properly within a couple of minutes at most.
If you’re still having these issues after more than 30 minutes of run time, I would get in touch with John; sounds like there may be a wiring or fuel level sending unit issue.
In the meantime, you can certainly run the system ( even if it’s only 2 minutes at a time ) without issues.

Georg
Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Is yours the one John @ Caveman just finished?!

The micro processor in the switch will shut the pump down after 2 minutes if the red fuel level LED is illuminated.
The micro processor is a “slow learner” only on the first fill-up; it can take 15-30 minutes to display the proper fuel level. Subsequent fill-ups will display properly within a couple of minutes at most.
If you’re still having these issues after more than 30 minutes of run time, I would get in touch with John; sounds like there may be a wiring or fuel level sending unit issue.
In the meantime, you can certainly run the system ( even if it’s only 2 minutes at a time ) without issues.

Georg
Yes it is.
I just picked up the Land Cruiser yesterday and am driving to northern Utah.
I filled up the aux tank and only got a red light.
When I push the button , the red light blinks and I get an amber light on top. After the two minutes there is a beep and it stops.
I will refill the auxiliary tank when I get to Moab and it's below half.

I haven’t posted much on this thread but here’s the short story;

@wardharris and myself got into the tank business with LRA about 3 years ago; taking over as their US partners at that time.
One of the first tanks we brought to the US market ( requiring modifications ) was the aux tank ( 12.5 gallon for @indycole ) for the 200-series.
All the prototype and R&D work has been done here at my shop, Valley Hybrids. We’ve been installing the LRA tanks since I started the business 15 years ago.
We’ve also worked on a number of other US market tanks including the GX470, FJC, Tacoma, Sprinter, JK, ..... we’re doing the first GX460/5th gen 4-Runner next week and the first Gladiator in 2 weeks.
We have also installed close to 30 other 200-series tanks here in the last couple of years, in all 3 sizes; 12.5 as well as 24 and 40 gallon units. Most of them as supplied by LRA and a few with our “severe duty” bottom skid plate.
Every single tank we’ve installed along with 100% of the components supplied in the LRA kit including brackets, fittings, hoses, fuel pumps and breathers.
So if anybody has any tech questions or converses, please feel free to reach out to me via email at:
Georg@cruiserbrothers.com

happy to help!

Georg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom