Aux Tank Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Now that the Long Range Automotive aux tanks have been out for awhile, for those that have them, what's been your long term experience? Game changer? All gravy? Good bad ugly?

Anyone have one installed on an LX? Or can confirm that there's no compatibility issues?

220 miles range under tow with my stock tank gets marginal sometimes out in the boonies.

EDIT: For future reference, my install thread here - Cruiser Brothers 12.5 LRA Aux Tank Install in LX570

Last edited:
24 gallon is fantastic.

Now one of my favorite mods!

-Frees up interior space previously needed for water that can now go on bumper...
-More than doubles range (“more than, because I can FULLY empty my 2nd 24 gallons...where you wouldn’t want to do that with your main)...
-Dramatically lowers center of gravity of load because it becomes your lowest added weight on the vehicle (besides tires).
-might save your life if stuck in winter because you can idle for heat for a LOOONG time with 24 extra gallons.
-Fuel stays FRESHER compared to jerry cans because jerry cans are a pain and sit full longer (at least mine do)
-No spills
-No trail delays for can fumblibg
-24 is SUPER TUCKED, and they’ll add armor to it on request (mine is armored, but is so tucked, I didn’t even touch it last summer despite massive hits everywhere else)
-George at Valley Hybrids is the real deal and knows what he’s doing. Worth the trip to Stockton for install
-clean control and monitoring with simple push-button on dash with gauge.
-can swap to a faster transfer pump like I did. Works great.
-Can add an external valve to use as filling station for other rigs or generators, etc. (I have not done this yet but eventually will do I can help other drivers).
-Fits fine with Slee rear bumper
-Visually hidden
-Easy to fill with two holes tucked nicely under one gas cap

Highly recommend this mod.

Last edited:
I have the big boy (38? 40?) gallon. I love it. Gives me basically 3 complete main tank fulls on vehicle. No issues with it, I believe I had the first tank installed once they started officially selling. Had it installed in Phoenix with no issues at all everything went smoothly. Have beat it pretty hard off road and its tucked up enough I haven't had any problems. Every vehicle I have owned in the last 6 years has had an aux or replaced main fuel tank. 5 of them have been from LRA including on a 3rd gen tacoma. No issues with them and love their product.

I have noticed the the first 1/2 of the aux tank transfers to the main tank noticeably faster than the second 1/2. Couldn't tell you why. Even cruising at 80mph it will keep up with fuel being used.

Now that the Long Ranger aux tanks have been out for awhile, for those that have them, what's been your long term experience? Game changer? All gravy? Good bad ugly?

Anyone have one installed on an LX? Or can confirm that there's no compatibility issues?

220 miles range under tow with my stock tank gets marginal sometimes out in the boonies.

"Any publicity is good publicity" so thanks for mentioning us, but the folks in Australia like us to remind the US market that the firm name is Long Range Automotive. Long Ranger is a different brand owned by a different firm and they do not sell into US market or adapt their products for our vehicles, emission systems, etc.

Life is good and we are selling around forty tanks per month. And we have a Black November sale going at $200 off per tank.

Bunch of 24 and 12.5 gallon 200 Series in stock and we will order to fulfill customer sales when we run out.

Check us out at Long Range Automotive Extended Range Fuel Tanks and shoot me an email at info@cruiserbrothers.com to get the ball rolling.

Best regards, Ward Harris

Oh...and mine came with this:

:hillbilly:

upload_2018-11-9_16-40-50.jpeg

Thanks for weighing in Ward. I corrected the naming in the first post. Had no idea there were two closely named organizations.

That's a lot of tanks! Any installs on an LX yet (AHC components?)

Oh...and mine came with this:

:hillbilly:

View attachment 1827984
Funny thing - Georg and I have been debating the relative benefits and market demand for high-end accessories and tchotchkes like logo'd apparel and the like.

I like baseball caps for forward shade/glare control, while Georg likes boonie hats for all around sun protection. We did the LRA hats as bb caps but are open to expanding the line if we sell enough tanks.

We did agree that we like our new 3x4 inch window stickers, though.... all this stuff is free if you buy sumthin' :)

If you already have some of this stuff, let me know and I will send you a sticker or two - info@cruiserbrothers.com please.....

upload_2018-11-9_18-54-47.png
upload_2018-11-9_18-59-14.png
upload_2018-11-9_19-0-28.png

Thanks for weighing in Ward. I corrected the naming in the first post. Had no idea there were two closely named organizations.

That's a lot of tanks! Any installs on an LX yet (AHC components?)
Thanks, no worries :)

No such installs to my knowledge.

I didn't get a hat:cry:

I am happy with my 13 gal. I would have gone 24 gallon like Mark but wanted to be able to carry two spares. Thinking about what is needed away from civilization and I actually needed two spares last summer so it was a good decision validated for me

I had one in my 80 and really missed it. Real glad Ward and Georg did the work to offer this

Highly recommended with no down side

I didn't get a hat:cry:

I am happy with my 13 gal. I would have gone 24 gallon like Mark but wanted to be able to carry two spares. Thinking about what is needed away from civilization and I actually needed two spares last summer so it was a good decision validated for me

I had one in my 80 and really missed it. Real glad Ward and Georg did the work to offer this

Highly recommended with no down side

Ya, definitely a factor I think about.

In Baja, we had trucks that could share a spare in a pinch, and usually do at group events...but if I do Alaska or S. America, etc, I’ll be looking at a second spare solution. I will stubbornly avoid putting a spare on my roof because I hate weight up there...but there are a couple other options. Harder with big tires for sure.

I have just gotten my 40 gallon installed. They finished today so I'll pick up my rig tomorrow. They were pressure testing last I heard.
Had my budbuilt skids put on also and some KM3's on my RW's. Moving along. Taking it to Ben at Dissent next for bumpers.
May put a fur sink in also. :))

I'd opt for a 12.5 gallon in order to keep my spare below. As it is, I may not be able to keep my full size matching 305/55 spare, and may need to resort to a narrower 275 size spare. As the smaller tank will push things about 1" down.

How cool is this, I found a pretty thorough install vid of the 12.5:

I have the big boy (38? 40?) gallon. I love it. Gives me basically 3 complete main tank fulls on vehicle. No issues with it, I believe I had the first tank installed once they started officially selling. Had it installed in Phoenix with no issues at all everything went smoothly. Have beat it pretty hard off road and its tucked up enough I haven't had any problems. Every vehicle I have owned in the last 6 years has had an aux or replaced main fuel tank. 5 of them have been from LRA including on a 3rd gen tacoma. No issues with them and love their product.

I have noticed the the first 1/2 of the aux tank transfers to the main tank noticeably faster than the second 1/2. Couldn't tell you why. Even cruising at 80mph it will keep up with fuel being used.

How does vehicle handle with gas filled to the brim? Is the additional weight noticeable? One thing I love about the 200 compared to 100 is how light (nimble/fast) it is on its feet. I'm trying to judge whether I'm better off with smaller tank because of the additional fuel weight. Also what is the maximum mile range between fill ups. With my KO2s, I refill every 250 miles.

How does vehicle handle with gas filled to the brim? Is the additional weight noticeable? One thing I love about the 200 compared to 100 is how light (nimble/fast) it is on its feet. I'm trying to judge whether I'm better off with smaller tank because of the additional fuel weight. Also what is the maximum mile range between fill ups. With my KO2s, I refill every 250 miles.

If you are concerned about fuel weight—there’s no rule forcing you to keep it full all the time. :) Just fill it when you want extended range.

Handling of the fuel weight is better than having 250 pounds of passengers...because the weight is held extremely low.

If you are concerned about fuel weight—there’s no rule forcing you to keep it full all the time. :) Just fill it when you want extended range.

Handling of the fuel weight is better than having 250 pounds of passengers...because the weight is held extremely low.

Good point. I'm a cheapskate and will want to fill gas to the brim on Tuesdays when its $0.25/gal cheaper. Prices go up on the weekend esp in chicago. Don't even get me to start about getting gas in the city.

I'd opt for a 12.5 gallon in order to keep my spare below. As it is, I may not be able to keep my full size matching 305/55 spare, and may need to resort to a narrower 275 size spare. As the smaller tank will push things about 1" down.

How cool is this, I found a pretty thorough install vid of the 12.5:

Yes, that is my 200 series install that Ryan at OTRAMM did for me a couple of weeks ago. Great service and pricing, and I am enjoying his videos. My full size 305 18" Fuel/Ridge Grappler spare fits fine under the 12.5 G tank. Tank seems to work flawlessly, used the transfer pump for the first time earlier this week, slight humming sound in the cab, which I am pleased with, as it gives audible indication of operation without being annoying. Obviously, there is a better return on the cost of the mod if you go with a larger tank, but I do not plan to change the OEM rear bumper on this vehicle, so I am pleased that Ward and Georg offer all three sizes.

I take a Friday night off and you guys start doing my job for me! Thanks, guys.......some random comments.....
  1. Hats and stickers for any owners who didn't get em / want em, just let me know and remind me of your mailing addy. Yours is on the way, @Romer
  2. Ryan Bascom at @OTRAMM is a bad-ass tech, business manager and social media guy. He is a great resource - not only for Mid-Atlantic Toyota owners, but for the national community through his video posts - be sure to subscribe to his YouTube channel - thanks, Ryan!
  3. Weight....ya, at 6.3 lbs/gal, the more you haul, the more you will feel. As noted above, you have the option to not "fill it to the brim" if you don't need it. We price the three 200 tanks at same point even though we pay slightly different cost. Why? Because we want you to buy what you need for your use, not worry about minor difference in kit cost.
  4. Which tank? Each of the three have features and benefits and happy owners. Capacity, clearance and spare location are all top of list, much more than weight and handling, since you can choose not to run full. We have a few examples of "wish I woulda....." but they are all pretty minor.
  5. The question of second spare and retention of OE spare location can be addressed with a two-tire rear bar (as the Aussies call them), which is why @orangefj45 and I are now US Kaymar dealers. Lots of great rear bumper solutions out there - ARB, Slee, 4x4 Labs, Trail Tailor, etc. but we kept getting requests for one-off Kaymar purchases in conjunction with a tank purchase, so we decided to bite the bullet. We are ordering/shipping and hope to have some stock on shelf by Spring, along with a new website with tanks and bars. The basic two-carrier bar kit as below is $2,995 plus shipping from Stockton, CA, plus accessories if you want them. Just another option if you want to carry two spares. I am told the bar will take two 35's but we are doing some research.....
  6. We are offering some discounts if you buy a tank and a bar or a bar and a tank. LRA and Kaymar are both located in Lilydale, Victoria (suburban Melbourne) and there are many, many Toyotas running around Australia with a tank/bar combination from those firms, a perfect pairing in wine terms. The firms have worked closely together for years and we are happy to add the Kaymar line and give folks a value-driven solution for fuel, tires and function.
So that's it for a Saturday morning - thanks all around. Georg and I are still learning this business and that will continue - with the support, patience and grace of our customers.

Ward

026.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom