ATTN CDAN, or other parts guru (heater core issue!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did my core a few months ago, big job. Personally I would never put a used core in or go with anything other than oem for such a PITA job, not to mention it's a huge problem on the trail if the core spews coolant. You should not have an issue sourcing one. I use Roberts Toyota in Columbia, TN and they offer 25% off on parts to mud members (ask for Scott), not sure if they'll ship or not though. I put some pics up here if it helps. Good luck! Land Cruiser Heater Core

I viewed every photo. That is insane. Thanks for sharing.

Typically (if even applicable), how long does the original core last? I have a '97 and it looks like one of the two pipes is no longer available. How would one go about even finding a non-OEM replacement for it or is it OK to re-use the original pipe if it passes the eye test?

I forgot about these photos haha. Glad they are still helping someone. I’d try to find an OEM new replacement given the level of PITA this job is. Mine is a 95. I’d think a core for any year w the 1FZ engine would suffice (95-97) but you should verify that! I assume you called around different dealerships? Good luck!!

I forgot about these photos haha. Glad they are still helping someone. I’d try to find an OEM new replacement given the level of PITA this job is. Mine is a 95. I’d think a core for any year w the 1FZ engine would suffice (95-97) but you should verify that! I assume you called around different dealerships? Good luck!!

Heater core in my '96 just started leaking. Almost at 300k miles. Dealer said core is obsolete and there are none in the supply chain in North America.

Picked up these two parts to squirrel away until needed recently:

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
87107-60270 Unit Sub-Assembly Radiator
87248-60660 Pipe

I believe I'm missing one more pipe connection that's NLA for my 1997. Still not certain if I can just use my old one (I guess I really don't have a choice).

There are two part numbers.

87107-60130 for 1991-96 and 87107-60270 for 97 only.

In addition the pipe identified as item #4 in your illustrations changed at the same time. This suggests that whatever changed had an impact on the interaction between those two components.

The firewall overlaps so that suggests that either setup would interface properly at that point.

I can't tell you if there are any other changes in the heater box layout. It may be possible to use the 1997 core as long as you get the pipe along with it.

The only way to know for sure would be to try it. Gutting two dashes is going to be a real treat.

Is the part # 87107-60270 the aluminum heater core? The local radiator shops won't touch it:

D099D0C4-24EE-44E8-A0B8-56DE2B4791C7.jpeg

8004FCAC-54D3-4F5D-BDF9-64AA5FAF6842.jpeg

Is yours a 1997?

I never sold one so I haven't actually seen one in person. If yours is a 97 and the core is aluminum, then the 87107-60270 would be aluminum.

Is yours a 1997?

I never sold one so I haven't actually seen one in person. If yours is a 97 and the core is aluminum, then the 87107-60270 would be aluminum.

Thanks Dan, yep, it's a 1997. Thanks for the confirmation. Do you sell them?

Thanks Dan, yep, it's a 1997. Thanks for the confirmation. Do you sell them?

Not any more. I retired 4 and a half years ago, after 37 years behind the counter.

Not any more. I retired 4 and a half years ago, after 37 years behind the counter.

Congratulations! I found a new one for $342 + tax + shipping. It's crazy how they can vary so much in price from one retailer to another. Thanks again.

Congratulations! I found a new one for $342 + tax + shipping. It's crazy how they can vary so much in price from one retailer to another. Thanks again.
Did you try here?:

www.partsouq.com

Awesome! PartSouq has the better price on the core and McGeorge has the tube. Thanks!
Please post pics and fitment issues when you get everything in hand to help out others on this forum. Not many have done this.

Please post pics and fitment issues when you get everything in hand to help out others on this forum. Not many have done this.

Will do... It's been a huge under taking but that's why I got such a good deal on my 80. For now, referencing the below threads has been a huge help.

The hardest part for me was removing the cross support beam and the airbag control unit because the screws securing it stripped way to easy (red threadlocked).

The Cucumber build thread goes into this a bit; 97 front and rear cores are different; box may be the same.

So was anyone able to confirm if the 97 heater core with pipe could be used in the 92-96?

The Cucumber build thread goes into this a bit; 97 front and rear cores are different; box may be the same.
So was anyone able to confirm if the 97 heater core with pipe could be used in the 92-96?

97 and Pre-97 cores (both front and rear) are NOT interchangeable. They have different dimensions, and will only fit in their corresponding housings (boxes). However, the complete boxes ARE interchangeable.

Yes, heater core from 8/1992-7/1996 will be a direct fit and they are the same part number: 87107-60130. I have a new one in stock.

The later one is a different part number but I do not know what the fitment differences might be since I do not own an LX to compare.

Do you happen to have a heater core for a 94 LC still for sale? You might not but figured its worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom