Attic Racks/Storage Shelf Talk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

Last year I saw some pretty nifty designs for attic racks and storage at 100's in the Hills, and I would like to get cracking on building one this year since labrack seems to not be making them at this time (and they were like 350 bucks....ouch). Any who, I have done some research on mud, but was hoping people could share some pictures or their bracketing, if it is more than zip ties, but I am not judging as I am a licensed zip tie mechanic myself (and please share away if you feel so inclined. Who am I to judge?). I am just hoping to remove the back "oh poop" handles and put something in a little more substantial. If anyone has any advice I would love to see and/or hear it about what you used for material for the shelf and brackets, how you mounted it, where you sourced everything, etc. Thank you!

-Josh

Home Depot closet wire shelf 4 ft x 16", bag of metal clips for wire shelf, 4ft 2in alum angle 1/16in thick, 2ft 2in wide 1/16 thick alum strip, some short #8 screws and nuts.
Cut 2in angle for two 16in end caps of shelf, use clips and drill and use screws and nuts to fasten to alum angle.
On side where handle faces down cut a piece of 2in angle to fit where handle was, drill to use handle bolts. Use 2in alum strip on other side handle to make shelf level, drill and fasten it all together.
$30 or so.

@TheForger has a nifty way he mounted his up.

I used a display grid instead of the Home Depot shelf.

Hmmmm Ok, I was trying to think of other objects to use besides the off the shelf....shelf. The main reason being I wanted the coating to be black and not white. I think I am visualizing what you are saying @Skidoo. I was going to try and weld something up like that.

Thanks guys, please keep any ideas ya got flowing!

Yep and it's not as flimsy. Picked mine at a local display shop or you could also find them online.

I saw a company selling a net type attic that looks pretty cool. I have the Home Depot type in my truck, it's black and utilizes 3rd row grab handles. I think these attics are an awesome way to stuff the soft stuff. So much room for activities. I'll see if I can find that net style and I'll post it.

I bought a 4'x2' black metal retail display grid and simply hung it not he grab handles using 2 hose clamps on both sides. It fits perfectly. I have yet to utilize it for for camping, but after seeing Bluetruiser's last year at HIH...I know it will be great for the lighter weight soft goods as he mentions above.

Looks nice, but a bit pricey. It requires two grab handles per side to mount to, so I don't think it will work for just the area above the third row seats. I still use my second row seats and need all the head room there I can get.

Call me cheap, but my $20 version serves me well. Quick on and off when my 3rd row is required.

Last edited:
Hmmmm Ok, I was trying to think of other objects to use besides the off the shelf....shelf. The main reason being I wanted the coating to be black and not white. I think I am visualizing what you are saying @Skidoo. I was going to try and weld something up like that.

Thanks guys, please keep any ideas ya got flowing!

I picked up one of these today at Lowe's. A bit more pricey than the plain white ones, but seemed stronger. And it's a nice gray color that complements my interior.

Max Load Wire Shelf | ClosetMaid

There is a ridge that runs across the roof just behind the second row headrests for the rear AC ducting. I was planning on using that and the 2" vertical section of the shelf as a wall to keep things for falling out the front.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but a bit pricey. It requires two grab handles per side to mount to, so I don't think it will work for just the area above the third row seats. I still use my second row seats and need all the head room there I can get.

totally works in the third row area - it's designed for it. I'm using it out of spec in the mid row.

I guess I am not seeing it. If it uses the second and third row grab handles, that would put more than half of the net above the second row. And very little under the large cavity above the third row behind the rear AC vents. I don't want anything encroaching on second row passenger headroom. For me, the ridge where the rear AC ducting is would need to be the front of the rack. I want to utilize that large cavity behind the rear AC vents.

I picked mine up at a thrift store, $10. Here are a couple of pics from my 80. I will be making it fit into the 100 for our summer trip and HIH. Put the rubber bumper things as spacers to keep the bracket from making contact with the headliner, also believing it would be some sort of shock absorber.

IMG_20140606_171053854.jpg

IMG_20140606_171711497.jpg

DSCN4545.jpg

I picked up a shelf from the container store. Used hose clamps and a couple of twist locking things to secure. The rattles of items drove me nuts so I lined the bottom with some packing foam sheets.
When to Moab a few weeks ago. On the steep inclines and declines everything slid off the shelf even with its lip. I will be covering with a net to keep it all secure.
WIN_20160424_06_25_26_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160424_06_25_45_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160424_06_25_56_Pro.jpg

Hey, lots of pics and advice to work with now! Thanks! I have a Raingler barrier net behind the 2nd row, and originally thought about ordering their attic net, but at almost 200 bucks for that tiny thing.....hell no! Their stuff is stupid expensive for what it is honestly. @bluecruiser the net you posted is interesting and much more affordable, but I was hoping to stash some folding chairs up there on a daily basis. @RobRed just wondering, if I was to go the soft net style, how do/would you have it mounted in the third row without 4 handles? That would be a great option for anyone looking for blankets and coat storage for sure! I think I am looking for something like @TheForger has metal grid wise (without the front barrier obviously), and may try to bend the front end up to meet the a/c tunnel sort of like @sdnative mentioned. I will update the thread when I come up with anything. If anyone else has ideas, please share!

Thanks everyone,
-Josh

It's funny how from time to time you come up with this awesome idea and by the time you are about to jump on the project you realize someone else got you beat!
I was going to prototype and build a drop down/open storage box/attic/vault to fit inside that exact area. Was thinking completely closed and flush in the area made out of formed abs and or aluminum. Then, one beautiful day I come across this post on Facebook of a company already making the very thing I was brainstorming! :bang::bang::bang:
I'm trying to find it again to link in here!

are you talking about LabRak? Really nice, but it is also gonna be about 400 buckaroos and a no go with rear a/c/ so bummer. It also doesn't seem like they are making it anymore because it has been "out of stock" for a while now.

1998-'99 Land Cruiser Rear Cargo Shelf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom