Attic Racks/Storage Shelf Talk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@RobRed - Can you post pictures of the Land Cruiser Attic in your hundy? That looks pretty sweet.

@TheForger that's an awesome setup. I'm on my phone so it's hard to tell, but what's holding your gear? Looks like some sort of rubber strap?

Anyone have a guesstimate on the weight limit of the oh shoot handles?

For you guys using the metal racking... Looks sweet.

I would avoid the hose clamps on the grab handles as they will grind on them - just a thought.

Also the metro rack shelves are not lightweight so take extra care that they cannot break loose - could ruin someones day in a crash. I think I saw someone mention the wall grids (like retail store), those would be significantly lighter.

For you guys using the metal racking... Looks sweet.

I would avoid the hose clamps on the grab handles as they will grind on them - just a thought.

Also the metro rack shelves are not lightweight so take extra care that they cannot break loose - could ruin someones day in a crash. I think I saw someone mention the wall grids (like retail store), those would be significantly lighter.

I wrapped my "oh shoot" handles with a piece of heater hose to avoid scuffing them up. Ghetto, but it works. Haha

No it was not lab rack! For the life of me I just can't find the darn thing! It is from Canada, they have a version for the FJ cruiser, 80, 100 and I think jeeps as well! The fit was great and it latches closed. Very nice stuff, my thought was making it as a handgun/shotgun vault as well as photography/video gear storage. I'll try again later at home!

@TheForger that's an awesome setup. I'm on my phone so it's hard to tell, but what's holding your gear? Looks like some sort of rubber strap?

My guess is at least 75lbs each.

I use Blue Ridge Overland Gear's soft version. It's perfect for lightweight stuff. Not nearly as stout as the metal attics, but just because of where it sits and the possibility of something flying from a crash or abrupt stop, I'm only putting very lightweight stuff up there. (Jackets, pillows, extra blankets, paper towels, etc) BROG is making some very nice stuff.

Landcruiser Attic

No it was not lab rack! For the life of me I just can't find the darn thing! It is from Canada, they have a version for the FJ cruiser, 80, 100 and I think jeeps as well! The fit was great and it latches closed. Very nice stuff, my thought was making it as a handgun/shotgun vault as well as photography/video gear storage. I'll try again later at home!

That would be neat!

I use Blue Ridge Overland Gear's soft version. It's perfect for lightweight stuff. Not nearly as stout as the metal attics, but just because of where it sits and the possibility of something flying from a crash or abrupt stop, I'm only putting very lightweight stuff up there. (Jackets, pillows, extra blankets, paper towels, etc) BROG is making some very nice stuff.

Landcruiser Attic

Is yours mounted behind the 2nd row? If so how did you mount it with having only one handle back there?

Landcruiser Attic
I have 2 handles. 2004MY

Oh really? I didn't realize they changed that at some point. I only have this one in the back.

handle.PNG

I have 1998 LC, and have 2 handles on the 3rd row. Thanks everyone for posting. Having a little one means we always have a spare set of clothes for the kid and us, wipes, etc. This would be a perfect place to store it. One more project in my already long list :)

I have two grab handles in back (3rd row) as well... Im pretty sure you are missing one.

Really? What the heck! I feel like I got shafted here. Hahaa I don't see a location for another one to go. Mine is a 1999. This is so odd.

Is yours mounted behind the 2nd row? If so how did you mount it with having only one handle back there?

I have 2 handles. 2004MY

I have two grab handles in back (3rd row) as well... Im pretty sure you are missing one.

I'm pretty sure everyone has two, but one per side. I think that's what he meant. The land cruiser attic needs a total of 4 grab handles to attach to, so no way to entirely mount it in the 3rd row area.

I'm pretty sure everyone has two, but one per side. I think that's what he meant. The land cruiser attic needs a total of 4 grab handles to attach to, so no way to entirely mount it in the 3rd row area.

YES THAT IS WHAT I MEAN! HAHA Two sets of handles! Not one single handle. I understand that there is one on each side guys.

There are 4 handles to attach to. 1 pair each driver / passenger in the third row area and 1 pair each driver / passenger in the mid row area over the doors.

Now in the case of the soft attic you would run longer straps to the front set of handles so it sits farther back toward the third row. If you want it precisely over the third row you'll have to make other attachment arrangements (seat belt anchors etc) or use something rigid as discussed.

In my case I have a cargo barrier and don't use the mid row seats (I removed them) so I use the mid row grab handles and the next set forward above the front seat headrests.

Quick Fist Clamps I ended up getting the assortment and used all of them plus I had to order a couple more mini's for the bow saw and crow bar

FINALLY found this freaking thing!!! It was driving me mad not being able to find it again!
CORE OUTFITTERS
Guess the link is just taking to their Facebook page but it's there! Posted on Jan/30th.

Last edited:
I added a spare rear cargo/pouch net to my grid rack yesterday, attached it with zip ties and a couple of loops of 550 cord to secure it. The size and elasticity is perfect to hold in place my cargo in the attic, which is a c couple of towels, a 10x12 rain fly, 100' of rope, a solar shower and room left for jackets, and misc. light weight gear. I also simply suspended a roll of paper towels with some more 550 cord for easy access, rolling and replacement! Photos to follow later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom