ATRAC Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1999WhitePearl

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched for awhile and couldn’t quite find the info I’m looking for. I’ve got a 1999 LX470 and just gained access to a local 2001 LX parts rig.

Biiiiiig question is, has anyone successfully transferred over all the necessary modules/ harnesses to have functional ATRAC on a 1998/1999?

Can I just swap the ABS/VSC module and let her bump? Or does the ECM need to be swapped as well?

As far as I can tell, no one has had a successful attempt in getting ATRAC to function a 1998/1999. I’ll do a little digging in the FSM’s and see what all is different.

Do you have an electric brake booster?

Ok. Since ATRAC wasn't available on ours until 2000, I didn't know if the 98/99 were electric or vacuum, since I assume electric is needed for ATRAC. (Pretty sure the 80s and 105s are vacuum).

If there are 4 brake lines going to the booster, then next compare the wiring in the EWD. The ABS plug changed shapes at some point but I believe they were all 3-wire plugs.

I'm sure it has ABS/speed sensors, which would seem to be the only needed "input" for the system...

What about the dash lights in your console?

It’s my understanding the connector shape doesn’t change until 2003. And the instrument cluster in my 1999 is essentially identical to the 2001. I’d need to pull it to be sure all the bulbs are in place.

I’m almost certain I can just swap the “brain” for the ABS/VSC and it will carry ATRAC over to the 1999 truck.

I don't know about that...check this post from my build thread. I recently replaced my brake assembly, and I believe both the triangle and oval connectors where available in 2000. Had to dig down to build date/ VIN.

I have never considered this option based on what I know. I don't claim to know a lot about it but I do know, the brake booster assemblies are different, Non-VSC has only one rear brake line branched into two at the axle. VSC also requires a steering angle sensor. Really sounds like a headache to retrofit and for me, the effort is not worth the benefit. If desired, I'd probably sell my 98-99 and buy a '03+ to get the ATRAC/VSC and 5sp as well.

For me, I would choose Front and Rear lockers over ATRAC/VSC. A Torsen center differential is also possible.

This feels like a D.I.-WHY?

I think the list of different components is long. Certainly possible to convert a non-ATRAC to ATRAC, but you could take all that time and energy and make more $$ than it would cost you to pay somebody to do front and rear lockers for you.

ATRAC is a good concession for not having lockers, but lockers are king.

This feels like a D.I.-WHY?

I think the list of different components is long. Certainly possible to convert a non-ATRAC to ATRAC, but you could take all that time and energy and make more $$ than it would cost you to pay somebody to do front and rear lockers for you.

ATRAC is a good concession for not having lockers, but lockers are king.
Yes I understand lockers are king. Just Dont want to put $1K plus into each diff plus the downtime being this is my daily driver.

Figured if it was a simple swap of a couple modules I’d go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom