Atmospheric river interior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am chasing probably 3-4 separate leaks on my Nor Cal 97. Most of ya’ll we’ve been get soaked here with bomb cyclones since new years.

Oh…and my Cat converter got stolen, so I can idle and run the defroster to dry stuff out. Killing me slowly.

Not really a post looking for advice, just a list of my insanity.

(Storm 6” rain in 24 hours, low winds)
1/2/23 front uphill. Driver’s side to the wind.
I found the entire drivers side rocker filled with water. Carpet soaked. Tailgate carpet damp. Small pool in the jack bracket. Headliner…dry. Passenger seat belt, damp. Brad of water at th bottom corner of the windshield.

Passenger side. Will call it damp, but not wet. In the passenger foot well. Driver footwell. Dry.

Pulled all trim off, peeled up carpet. Pulled all drain plugs in rockers. Blowers and damp rid in the cabin between rain storms. Checked sunroof gutters, clear .

Taped the rear louver seams. (Jack bracket)

Added back the piece of magnetic vinyl over the sunroof.

Inspected door gaskets. LS (driver) rear corners torn. Applied a hose, watched water come into the cabin. Taped the rear passenger door seams with removable vinyl tape. (Ordered new rear door gaskets from partsouq).

Day 2. Storm 2 (1-2” rain in 12 hours, windy gusts to 30).
Still parked facing up hill.

Driver footwell…dry. DS passenger footwell, wet. Jack bracket, dry-ish. Still a bead of water in the lower corner of the windshield. Bust thinking it could be from all the condensation inside the cabin now.

Passenger side. Dry.

Storm 3/4 Day 5. (1.5 rain in 8 hours, very windy).

Parked down hill. Passenger side exposed to wind.

Stuffed paper towels into A, B and C pillars. All dry.

Yep. Passenger footwells WET. Front and Rear. Tail fat carpet soaked. Jack bracket-dry.
Driver side damp-wet. Hard to tell what’s new wer and old wet since nothing is drying out fully.

Inspected up tailgate gasket, it seems ok…but water is def getting in at the split and dribbling onto lower tailgate. I added some peel and stick foam in a couple spots.

Storm 5—later tonight.

Thoughts. Maybe all doors need new gaskets?

Maybe need a new windshield? And gasket. It’s an OEM gasket on Aftermarket windshield. Installed 3 years about to FSM spec. Never had an issue before this.

I saw some ancient posts about the ac dryer port or something or the sunroof drain leaking into cabin. Drains are good.

I’m pretty close to heatshrink tarping it like a boat for the winter… I didn’t have any leaks all last winter. I almost feel like my wife or kid is punking me.

But damn….this is crazy.

Water on the jack is your quarter glass is worn out/excessive rust and leaking. Water on front floor is probably a leaking windshield frame due to rust. Water in rockers is clogged rocker drains. Water on rear tail gate is probably a leak in the rear hatch glass or the hatch perimeter weatherstripping due to either rust or torn weatherstripping. Could also be rust holes in the rear wind deflector mounts. Replacing weatherstripping and window seals is one of the first things that should be replaced when owning a 80 series as part of baselining the vehicle. Unfortunately due to age it needs to be done asap or rust can advance under the seals and weatherstripping and can be expensive to repair.

Water on the jack is your quarter glass is worn out/excessive rust and leaking. Water on front floor is probably a leaking windshield frame due to rust. Water in rockers is clogged rocker drains. Water on rear tail gate is probably a leak in the rear hatch glass or the hatch perimeter weatherstripping due to either rust or torn weatherstripping. Could also be rust holes in the rear wind deflector mounts. Replacing weatherstripping and window seals is one of the first things that should be replaced when owning a 80 series as part of baselining the vehicle. Unfortunately due to age it needs to be done asap or rust can advance under the seals and weatherstripping and can be expensive to repair.
Thanks. Yeah. That’s the amazing part. I have had everything torn apart before. No Rust in any of those spots. (Unless some has formed in the last two years).

Well, I haven’t had the rear quarter glass out, but have inspected nearly every through hole that I can get too.

Windshield frame is pristine. Snaked every odd drain.

I think it’s all worn, damaged seals.

I have a long post somewhere on the jack leak from a couple years ago. It was entering via the worn seal on the retainer clip for the lounge panel. I used some equivalent retainer to fix that, might need to just gloop it with silicone.

Todays report.
Overnight. 30 mins of high wind driven rain overnight as a big squall line passed through, and nothing it wetter than yesterday. All my paper towel indicators are dry.

I have also been chasing water in the base of the jack holder. It seems like it’s coming from up high in the pillar somewhere, and meandering down. My belt moulding below the sliding window is new, my rig has been a CA vehicle it’s whole life.

I have read all the threads about this issue. I have applied some silicone on the lower bolt that holds the louver in place.

@HardyDanger should we have a Chase-A-Leak meetup?

I feel your pain. I have to drive my 97 around every couple days with the carpet peeled up and the heater blasting just so it doesn't start to stink.

It's probably a good time for me to go outside and check some drains while the rain is on pause.

There’s an atmospheric river in my passenger front floorboard. I think it’s coming from the windshield or sunroof. I had siliconed the sunroof previously but it could be bad again.

For the rear window, mine are overflowing and leaking as well. The drain ports underneath the window rail are probably clogged, but i’m replacing these with gull wings.
l

I have also been chasing water in the base of the jack holder. It seems like it’s coming from up high in the pillar somewhere, and meandering down. My belt moulding below the sliding window is new, my rig has been a CA vehicle it’s whole life.

I have read all the threads about this issue. I have applied some silicone on the lower bolt that holds the louver in place.

@HardyDanger should we have a Chase-A-Leak meetup?
Not a bad idea! Sounds like a perfectly obvious way to spend an afternoon!

I feel your pain. I have to drive my 97 around every couple days with the carpet peeled up and the heater blasting just so it doesn't start to stink.

It's probably a good time for me to go outside and check some drains while the rain is on pause.
I can’t even drive mine right now since the meth hearders stole my cat. 🥴

Most already covered but FWIW:

Sunroof drain is being overwhelmed by the amount of rain so the pan overflows, runs across the headliner then down the pillars

You could tape the sunroof shut (painters tape) until the storms stop.

Windshield may not be not sealed correctly (has it ever been replaced)
but agree, large amount of water inside the cabin will cause exteme humidity inside, condensation, and drips down the windows/windshield.

Check door vapor barriers behind the door cards for holes, IME water appears
on the sill and carpet immediately below the sill.

Rear body opening gasket (hatch/tailgate) and some others (may) need replacing.

Check door glass runs for separations.

Belt molding under the quarter panel windows could be leaking through
the clip holes into the quarter panel cavity; ditto, temp fix with painters tape
(there's a yellow vinyl type that holds up well to water, but IME, even the blue type will last a few weeks in the weather if not driving the vehicle)

How are the front door seals? And the front windscreen rubber?

the sill.

Rear body opening gasket (hatch/tailgate) and some others (may) need replacing.

@Kernal do you mean the rear hatch weatherstripping or are you talking about something else?

Thank @Kernal
Windshield was replace 4 years ago. Hasn’t been a problem to date.

Sunroof. Current has a big magnetic vinyl sheet covering it.

I think I sealed those little clips under the quarter panel.

Need to check window runs!!

This PN 6828160010 Yes. Earmarked this for replacement.

I use this tape. Had it over glass and paint for 2+years (outside) no residue. Peals right up. YMMV. APT, Multi Color Marking Tape,... Amazon product ASIN B07P5HQCN8
Todays report, after hail. Lighting and flash mob deluge event. Still no new wetness. Interior still damp. All the paper towels in all pillars are dry and corner of windshield towels are dry.

All the taped doors must be working.

25CC242F-9815-4AB9-81A6-FC8065B68CF7.jpeg

I was referring to the Weatherstrip, Back Door 67881-60060, but IME
not all that likely to go bad unless ripped. What can happen is water gets under that weatherstrip (any of them) causing rusting of the pinch weld or lip that it clamps onto. If the rust gets bad enough and the lip completely crumbles then the weatherstrip might droop losing it's seal. FWIW.

If the windshield has been replaced that's another area to look at as many of us
have experienced leaks after a windshield replacement due to faulty installation.

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack but where does one buy weatherstripping for an 80? Is it difficult to install or should you have a reputable paint and body shop do it?

Dealing with the same rivers in SoCal, with more on the way. Have found water in the following places on the hatch. Suggestions welcome. The first one's obviously coming from someplace else, as it wouldn't be here if the hatch wasn't open. The second one (likely related to the first) drips on the rear right corner of the cargo box when the hatch is closed (so, pretty much leaking from this same spot when closed). I cleaned leaves and sludge out of the channel over the hatchway after first spotting this--and made the mistake of forcing the drawer open while the wood was swollen. Hafta glue that up now. The leak is either not as bad now, or I'm just more on top of it/checking more frequently--but even with the channel scooped out, it's still leaking. Not sure where that's coming from?

1A9F00D5-62EB-4F8A-AE2E-4D5F39E4EB99.jpeg

428B59E4-8BE9-46DB-886F-57A145317A7B.jpeg

24D03498-0242-4723-92F5-505A653938CE.jpeg

9B752578-A7FF-4B22-89E0-E15B8546AEE7.jpeg

Last edited:
welcome @jaymar to the fight. The struggle is real-ly frustrating!!! Not too sure about your leak, I might check mine for the same.

Here’s a result of sorts.

I added a little 1mm adhesive foam tape I had to the tailgate. I noticed that the water seemed to be coming in at this junction (upper red arrow).

Blue swingle is observed water path. It came down the gasket seal, and then followed the strip of foam I laid (left red arrow).

Inside tailgate has been dry last few days.

Mainly a test to see if I could get a result.

1673502849434.jpeg

@Haggis most fixes on the 80 are pretty straightforward, having the right tool helps, plenty of advice here as well. I’ve never done it, myself but should be straightforward to replace. I always try to be diligent about how I take things apart so I can learn about how it goes back together.

Unless your captain money pants, you kinda need to do a lot yourself. For me that’s half the fun. (But I hate chasing leaks).

Parts. Finding the part number is half the battle. Usually you can ask, someone knows.
There are places to buy like amayama, partsouq, eBay, wits end, Toyotapartsdeal, your local stealership.

@HardyDanger At least you're channeling it. :) Worst of my leaks plugged (sort of). Without this, I get water dripping from a spot by the top of the windshield / in front of the headliner. They stay in place if it's not too windy. I'm afraid that when I wire wheel into this, I'm gonna need a patch weld to fix it. I can't do that, and don't know anyone who can. There's another one of these on the DS A pillar; no leak-through that I know of. (Does this conversation remind anyone else of comparing scars in Jaws...?)

956D4A31-4DEA-439F-A7B5-8546ADB75885.jpeg

8D201205-7570-44C7-8DDC-02CD6FB0AE06.jpeg

4811E98A-6839-4F3B-8699-F0F6B2EF7291.jpeg

Last edited:
@jaymar IMHO I would attend to those rusty areas asap, there is a hole(s) under all that bubbling paint and it will only get worse. Windshield needs to come out to fix it, maybe headliner too.

@HardyDanger Can you post up a photo of the rear "door" area ie: with the liftgate down and the hatch up, ie: to show the condition of the body weatherstriping around that opening. I just replaced that weatherstrip on my 97 model just because it was old and I had pulled it off to repair rust on the pinch weld but even after 25 years it wasn't leaking.
So a bit surprised you're getting leaks back there.

Dealing with the same rivers in SoCal, with more on the way. Have found water in the following places on the hatch. Suggestions welcome. The first one's obviously coming from someplace else, as it wouldn't be here if the hatch wasn't open. The second one (likely related to the first) drips on the rear right corner of the cargo box when the hatch is closed (so, pretty much leaking from this same spot when closed). I cleaned leaves and sludge out of the channel over the hatchway after first spotting this--and made the mistake of forcing the drawer open while the wood was swollen. Hafta glue that up now. The leak is either not as bad now, or I'm just more on top of it/checking more frequently--but even with the channel scooped out, it's still leaking. Not sure where that's coming from?

View attachment 3216983
View attachment 3216984
View attachment 3216985
View attachment 3216986
Im thinking thats your hatch glass weatherstripping. I believe the hatch also has drains in the bottom of it that can get clogged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom