Atmospheric river interior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73C53877-C473-4576-ACE2-FAB08172D39D.jpeg

23EE6BDF-7F9A-4EED-8882-C9CB8058823F.jpeg

9ED490FB-E903-4E30-ADAB-752EA0BDC4A8.jpeg

FB09B25C-315B-415A-B59E-8963A9395B5A.jpeg

Start looking for a body shop?? The big shops IME generally won't want to do that job but smaller 1-2 man shops might. Seems like it depends how busy they are with insurance work.

Progress.
Took it back to my local glass installer, my gawd they are good people. Same place that installed a few years ago.

They pulled the glass out, ground off the rust in the effected areas, taped off and primed it. He found two pin holes. It was supposed to be back yesterday, but they called and wanted to keep it overnight to do a second coat of urethane to seal up the area.

Then, reinstalled the windshield, but broke it accidentally, so they reorder a new one and got the new one installed today.
Showed me progress photos, and followed the FSM.

Grand total. $0.

Nada.

Said I’ll get 2-3 years out of this fix, but going to have a body shop get an estimate anyway.

Glass Tek in Alameda,CA. 5 star recommendation

Not progress.

So I found the same dang weeping leak in the inside corner of the windshield after the glass and sealing job.

Last night I thoroughly taped every edge of the exterior seams around rhe windshield with 2” vinyl tape and I am still getting a puddle on the inside corner.

So confused. I don’t think anything is coming down the A pillar as I have paper towels stuffed in there and they are dry.

Gonna have the body shop look at it on Monday. And also going to leak test this weekend everything I can think of.

The moisture on the glass is on the exterior.
This is pre tape job.

8BB81B81-CE33-43FB-883B-36C8F0F9FB85.jpeg

Living in the rainforest climate lower half of BC we deal with water ingress issues regularly.

Generally, best thing to do is replace all seals if they start to feel hard or have tears. It gets expensive but, for now, Toyota parts are still available.

Anything related to the driver or passenger footwell, if cleaning the drains doesn't solve it then it's more often the windshield seal or non-FSM installation. Any shop that bats an eye at being told to follow the FSM walk away and find another. Make sure it's new seals and OE recommended sealants.

Also, check the condition of the grommets in the firewall and make sure they haven't pulled loose enough to let water through.

Yeah, don't be fooled, they re-did it free and with a smile due to the liability they incurred by not doing it correctly the first time. I got $4500 from a national chain when they (twice) installed my windshield incorrectly causing rust around the frame and on the floor and for possible future issues from the chronic water leaks.

The OP's shop "fix" of the rust is definitely not the right way to do it, needs to be done by a competent body shop, then have the glass installed by a competent glass shop. Then IMHO I would send the bills to the first glass shop. If they balk you mention that you've "talked to a lawyer" but would rather not go that route----.

Last edited:
Yeah, don't be fooled, ...

This. When my windshield was redone the installer came to a shop where my friend was the service department manager. He checked during install that the FSM was being followed. In this instance, installer is more inclined to follow the FSM since, if he screws it up, he'll not only have to redo my windshield but could potentially lose business with the dealership. This is in Canada so if you don't have a buddy with a shop to oversee an installer, book an appointment on your day off and hangout. If they give you any "can't let customers in work area" tell them you'll find another shop.

@Dirt Ferguson
Definitive leak that filled up my jack cup.

The little trim piece underneath the quarter window has 3-4 little through body clips.
BBE29B76-C7A1-42E0-81FE-C86F8C1402BE.jpeg

water test showed one was leaking.
I popped that trim off very delicately, and added a little silicone to each clip. 20 min soak with no leaks. I had done this last year and made delicate foam gaskets for each, but didn’t last
7983A097-B533-4D45-97F8-42F17F69C203.jpeg

@HardyDanger nice man! I’ll give it a shot. I think my leak is coming from up higher on the pillar. I need to try your paper towel technique and see if that is actually the case. My belt moulding below the window is new within the last 6 months, but I have some clear silicone around and I’ll try applying some of that on the clips

Thanks for keeping me in mind!

@Dirt Ferguson

I did a progressive water test. Started low right on that trim piece. Then moved higher up. Only saw it coming from the low holes.

The louver vents stink to remove…so was happy nothing was coming from there again.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom