Arb compressor dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Arb twin compressor died. Tried changing the fuses; no luck. I hear a hum when it turns on, but there no air output.

Anyone else have this problem?

Very frustrating. I don't really want to have to take this thing out and dissect it. I'm temped to toss it and get something portable.

My Arb twin compressor died. Tried changing the fuses; no luck. I hear a hum when it turns on, but there no air output.

Anyone else have this problem?

Very frustrating. I don't really want to have to take this thing out and dissect it. I'm temped to toss it and get something portable.

These things are very serviceable. Almost a part number for everything. One easy check is the internal relay.

These things are very serviceable. Almost a part number for everything. One easy check is the internal relay.

Good to know. Thank you. Would a relay issue still allow the the compressor to turn on? I hear a mild hum. It's doing something. There's just no output, and the hum is softer than normal.

You change any electrics or disconnect anything setting up other stuff recently?

I believe there is a cooling fan which may be the hum you are hearing.

Maybe check the large fuses associated to the pumps?

everything has a part # on those... probably the pressure switch if neither turns on.. its on the internal manifold.
summit carries most of the repair part #'s or call ARB and ask them for advice/part numbers they are good at that

I also think each fuse is for one of the motors, and possibly they have separate relays as well. If both stopped at the same time it suggests something is wrong with the signal or ground wire telling the relays to activate.

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions. I will take a look. Tough to go digging in there, giving how tight everything is in that area!

Curious...

How old is it?

Seems the dual compressors either crap out in the first few months, or run forever, with no real in between.

Curious...

How old is it?

Seems the dual compressors either crap out in the first few months, or run forever, with no real in between.
I would think that most ARB compressors see very limited actual use. I've had mine installed for soon to be 2 years and have not had any issues but I only actually use it 2 to 3 times a year. I wonder if just sitting there not used for long periods of time is a factor? Now that I have front/rear air lockers, I'll use it more wheeling but still pretty limited. I do cycle through CDL, 4lo and now the air lockers about once a week so maybe that will help the compressor not sit idle for months at a time. I do know the CDL likes the exercise. When I initially started wheeling with my 200, it would often not want to lock in or once in, not unlock. Now it is totally reliable.

I would think that most ARB compressors see very limited actual use. I've had mine installed for soon to be 2 years and have not had any issues but I only actually use it 2 to 3 times a year. I wonder if just sitting there not used for long periods of time is a factor? Now that I have front/rear air lockers, I'll use it more wheeling but still pretty limited. I do cycle through CDL, 4lo and now the air lockers about once a week so maybe that will help the compressor not sit idle for months at a time. I do know the CDL likes the exercise. When I initially started wheeling with my 200, it would often not want to lock in or once in, not unlock. Now it is totally reliable.
@kcjaz

100% agree.

There are a lot of compressors, winches, and drivetrain settings that never get used—which is akin to leaving a car in the garage and never running the engine for months/years.

I’ve an ARB dual with tank (suitcase model) which we rotate between vehicles. I fire it up 1x per month just to keep the seals lubed and parts moving (while checking tire pressures and looking over the vehicles on the lift).

Of note—the environment under hood is a lot harsher than that of a suitcase compressor which lives indoors.

Same goes for my winches, under hood compressors, transfer case (2h/4h/4l/n), and other electro-mechanical parts.

I’d rather find out the stuff isn’t working while in my garage vs. when the poop hits the fan.

Note: Love these sort of posts as it’s a good reminder for those who don’t have a bit of OCD—and even then life gets in the way and I forget.

Agree 100%

I use the piss out of mine, my truck/camper is on bags at all 4 corners so between all the bags and tires it gets WORKED!! Not a single issue in 3 years

2 different Buddies that only use theirs a couple times a year have had issues. One blew up.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Note: Love these sort of posts as it’s a good reminder for those who don’t have a bit of OCD—and even then life gets in the way and I forget.
I definitely have OCD but the problem is I also have ADD so I get distracted and forget about the things I was OCD about...

I definitely have OCD but the problem is I also have ADD so I get distracted and forget about the things I was OCD about...

Same 😂👍🏼

More testing today.

Not the hose. Tried a new one and no go.

Does not seem to be electric. What happens is when I press the power button on my Switchpros, the Arb twin compressor turns on with its normal sound. Doing a "feel" test, I find the unit vibrating normally. There is also an accompanying baseline hum. Previously, when using the unit, I would hear the same baseline hum, and then the hum would get louder during inflation.

No fans can be seen spinning while the unit was just turned on and remains cool.

So it seems not to be the compressors. Something is definitely moving and humming inside the case.

Just no air.

To answer other Qs here, the Arb was working fine a few days ago. I use it a couple times a month. I may have removed the positive lead from the battery during my winch cable install. But if so, I reattached it just fine.

Mine is five going on six years old now, been under the hood of three different Toyota's at this point. I make sure to cycle it on once a weak, nary a problem.

when they turn on it should be extremely obvious - they are loud.. you can always unscrew the main hose and turn it on - that will just allow the manifold to vent directly out. should be really obvious.
Anyway eliminate as many parts as possible troubleshooting working back from the outlet

I’m wondering about the pressure switch, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom