AOAA this Saturday 8/14 with Keystone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I'm not mistaken they are looking to run blue/black trails, so keep that in mind.

I can’t make this month’s trail ride.

If I'm not mistaken they are looking to run blue/black trails, so keep that in mind.
ahh if that is the case.... nope... green/blues is where id rather staty

Yeah, we're looking to stick to more manageable blues given that my understanding is a green at AOAA is similar in difficulty to a blue a Rausch. Maybe we can join them for some easier trails and split off rather than do the harder ones.

Yeah, we're looking to stick to more manageable blues given that my understanding is a green at AOAA is similar in difficulty to a blue a Rausch. Maybe we can join them for some easier trails and split off rather than do the harder ones.
Well I am up for greens/blues but I have never been to AOAA so I don;'t know my way around there... would we have a trail leader that knows the place?

From my first experience in July, it’s easy to navigate if you have the map. Look for the Maprika official map used for CMCC (there’s an East and West). Stay on greens and enjoy what you get. Keep in mind that the tighter, shorter, and twistier the trail, the worse Maprika is. And there are some mud pits on greens that are deceptively evil or surprisingly shallow…just probe them first with a stick.

Maybe @captainva can chime in on what he did in an almost stock GX. I did it all in a stock 80 but got some body damage in the trees (the only part of the trail that wasn’t green) because I forgot I wasn’t deflared and armored!

I think it was a great time and would recommend AOAA. Just pay attention to the map and don’t lose sight or comms with the guys ahead of and behind you.

Every trail exit is well marked with pink and black signs to get back to the parking lot. That’s a nice touch. It’s far harder to get lost there than it is at Rausch or Cove.

Also, the majority of the trails on the map are green. Like 80%. That makes it unlikely to stumble upon a black or red but just be cautious and turn around if you’re hesitant about continuing; just find another trailhead and try again.

I'll be putting together another green/blue trail run in the Fall, either at AOAA or Rausch Creek.

Will post here when date is decided.

The eastern side has plenty of greens and I've mapped out some we've done before. Anyone in for this Saturday?

From my first experience in July, it’s easy to navigate if you have the map. Look for the Maprika official map used for CMCC (there’s an East and West). Stay on greens and enjoy what you get. Keep in mind that the tighter, shorter, and twistier the trail, the worse Maprika is. And there are some mud pits on greens that are deceptively evil or surprisingly shallow…just probe them first with a stick.

Maybe @captainva can chime in on what he did in an almost stock GX. I did it all in a stock 80 but got some body damage in the trees (the only part of the trail that wasn’t green) because I forgot I wasn’t deflared and armored!

I think it was a great time and would recommend AOAA. Just pay attention to the map and don’t lose sight or comms with the guys ahead of and behind you.

Every trail exit is well marked with pink and black signs to get back to the parking lot. That’s a nice touch. It’s far harder to get lost there than it is at Rausch or Cove.

Also, the majority of the trails on the map are green. Like 80%. That makes it unlikely to stumble upon a black or red but just be cautious and turn around if you’re hesitant about continuing; just find another trailhead and try again.

I'm all stock except for sliders, skids, 2.5" lift, and 285/70/17 mud tires and had zero damage (or real use of my protection) other than a sticky brake caliper finally seizing after getting home. I'd say for the most part the greens are manageable on a 100% stock GX but street tires would be the limiting factor. Everything I did with John on Friday the GX walked through slowly (with help spotting). A lot of the greens would have been blues at the cove and some blues would be blacks but luckily we avoided those. The blacks it seemed like you would basically need a rock buggy to tackle. The green trail ride I did on Saturday up to the overlook was really easy and I did something like that in my old CRV back in the day so its a little bit hit or miss on easy vs hard green but the greens get much harder as you go off the main paths. The western side overall seemed much easier than the eastern side from the exploring I did over there. John's summation on the mud is 100% accurate. I went off on the western side to explore a bit and there were a few mud holes on some greens that were 2-3ft deep but didn't look that way at all.

Last call, making a final decision tonight and no takers so far. We're looking to do the harder greens and the milder blues if anyone is interested.

The Keystone crew convinced me to join them, seems like we can bypass when it gets hairy.

love to go but found my GX leaning drunkenly to the side on a flat tire this afternoon.... wont be able to get it replaced in time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom