Anyone put down a deposit yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

beaufort-fj60 said:
i filled out the "give me more info" on toyota.com after the unvailing

about two days later i got a call from the local toyota dealer, it was kinda funny, they had no clue what a fj cruiser was/is, the person i talked to sounded completly confused. I told them i want one and asked what do i need to do to get on a list, give you a deposit, sign somthing, what? At the end of our conversation, they still had no idea about what i or toyota was talking about, all they knew was toyota sent them an email saying to call me. i told them to write my name and number on a sticky and put it on the wall, call me when they figure out what to do.

so i guess i am first on the list

I also filled out the give me more info, but didn't hear a word from them... either phone or e-mail. :mad:

Yup, I did the same VIA Yota's website and nadda yet. I also added my name to a growing list at my local D as well, no $$ needed as of yet so we'll see ! I'd be ecstatic to get a new FJ man, they look GD BEAST !!!!!! I mean it's no benchmark of the sport yet but hell it's not even a production ride yet so give it time, I'll be waiting !

1st on my dealers list $500, the salesman knew some about it said they are makein 3700 the first year and it would be priced in the 20's

kc_chevota said:
1st on my dealers list $500, the salesman knew some about it said they are makein 3700 the first year and it would be priced in the 20's
No, they are not making 3700/yr, they are making 40,000/yr with possible increases in following years.

firetruck41 said:
It would be pretty sleazy of a dealer to take a deposit on one IMHO.

still think it's sleazy of a dealer to take a deposit for this thing? seems like lots of interest and deposits going down....

jjbodean1970 said:
still think it's sleazy of a dealer to take a deposit for this thing? seems like lots of interest and deposits going down....
Still? ...sorta'. They don't know what the price will be, what options will be available, how much inventory, what colors/trim levels that they will be alotted, etc. But if people are willing, I guess I can't blame the dealers.

I bought a brand new Honda Element for the wife 2 years ago (when they first came out), they were actually in very high demand locally and I decided to wait about 7-8 months after they were released to buy ours. Instead of paying $2500 Additional Dealer Markup (read: profit) when they were released, I got it for ~1k under MSRP by waiting and shopping a little. Unfortunately I think people that put a deposit down now are basically saying "I am willing to pay $2k extra to get an FJ before everyone else", fine if that's what you wanna do. I probably won't have the $$$ when they come out but if I did I would just wait a few months so I could get a decent deal, or just find a dealer that had one, not tipping my hat that I was desperate enough to get one, that I put a deposit down w/out even seeing or driving one. Just my opinion. :)

i remember before the lexus sc 430 convertible came out people had deposits for almost 2 years before the intro of the vehicle. there have been deposits on the hybrid lexus rx 400h for over a year now. in 99% of the cases when a deposit is placed, especially if you don't have pricing, options, etc, the deposit is refundable. i see no harm in taking them if that's what the buying public wants to do. that said, i would make sure that i have in writing from the dealer on my order that i will not be charged any amount over msrp for the vehicle. most dealers won't charge over sticker, but there are those who will. i wouldn't buy from them.

Aseif007 said:
I'm pretty sure they know everything about it already since it is coming out in less than a year.
I would beg to differ, I would bet money that those who have been following the FJ Cruiser on this board know more than most dealers and their salespeople, also what they actually do know if they have bothered to find out, is almost certainly the same thing the press release and online brochure tell us. Toyota did not tell the dealers anything new before they revealed the FJ Cruiser on Feb 9th, I'm sure they will get some limited info close to the release date, but if you followed the release of the new Taco, the dealers were not privy to much special info other than the new Taco showing up on their inventory sheets for the following month. At this point, if they say anything different than what you see in the online press release or brochure, I would bet it is just speculation or wishful thinking. I guarantee you they do not "know everything about it already" as it doesn't even have an interior yet. Just ask Cdan and I am sure he will confirm this.

Toyota parts departments got some lit on the FJ about 1 month ago, mentioning all the "stuff" that will be availible for it.

my dealer is asking me to buy a FJ at a specail price(aka a decent deal, not 2nd sticker)......I just may.

firetruck41 said:
I would beg to differ, I would bet money that those who have been following the FJ Cruiser on this board know more than most dealers and their salespeople, also what they actually do know if they have bothered to find out, is almost certainly the same thing the press release and online brochure tell us. Toyota did not tell the dealers anything new before they revealed the FJ Cruiser on Feb 9th, I'm sure they will get some limited info close to the release date, but if you followed the release of the new Taco, the dealers were not privy to much special info other than the new Taco showing up on their inventory sheets for the following month. At this point, if they say anything different than what you see in the online press release or brochure, I would bet it is just speculation or wishful thinking. I guarantee you they do not "know everything about it already" as it doesn't even have an interior yet. Just ask Cdan and I am sure he will confirm this.

Pimp,

Did the dealer mention the special price and did you hapen to get a copy of what "stuff" was available.

thanks

Currently, there is very little information at my local dealership. A sales person cave me a little information that they recieved and nobody else has said a word about anything new.

The dealership is pretty small with low sales. I was told that up to this point they have sold one RAV4 4wd. I don't think a waiting list will mean much here. :)

nope, no price(they don't have pricing) besides they wont rape me ;) I doubt I would buy one the 1st year, but who know......maybe in person I will love it?

I have an extra copy of the parts stuff.......just need to go get it. its not much more than a few pages in Toyota Today.....nothing to exciting

beaufort-fj60 said:
Pimp,

Did the dealer mention the special price and did you hapen to get a copy of what "stuff" was available.

thanks

just got an email back from local toyota dealer. Same crappy info they have been feeding me for months.

"I just came back from a meeting with Toyota. The FJ Crusier is scheduled to arrive to the dealership the first quarter of 2006. I will forward information to you as Toyota provides it to me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Sylvia"

When the New Beetle from VW came out, they had some serious issues to fix the first model year, especially the cars sold in the first few months. Toyota has a better track record than VW for quality, but I would still hesitate to buy the new FJ until it's been out 6 months. Although you'd miss the fun period of "What the heck is that?" Putting up with a few recalls might be OK just for the joy of being the first on the block with an FJ.

80and100cruisers said:
Yea, price has to start in the 20s to attract their target market.

Just for fun...

Wrangler starts at about $19,000
Exterra starts at about $21,000
Rav 4 starts at about $19,000
Highlander starts at about $24,000
Escape starts at about $20,000

-Matt

Toyota may price it like that, but that doesn't mean the dealers will sell it for that much.

Corvette ZR-1-- priced near 35,000, dealers sold the first ones for close to $100,000

VW New Beetle: VW originally priced at around $15-20,000. Dealers sold them for more than twice that the first year.

Mini Cooper: listed for between 18-22,000 -- Sold for close to 50,000 it's first year.

Honda S2000-- Listed at around 35,000 -- there are known examples of dealers selling them for $100,000 when they first came out. Even when the car was a few years old, it was still selling for more than MSRP. In some instances, a USED s2000 would go for more than the NEW MSRP.

With the exception of the vette and the s2000, those cars I have listed are newer versions of old cars that have a cult following. Ahem! Sound familiar?

Toyota can price it any way they want. The delaer will determine how much people are willing to pay to be the first on the block with one, and will charge accordingly.

When I lived in California, a local dealer got stampeded when they announced they had new Mini Coopers in stock and, unlike their competing dealers, would sell them for MSRP only. They had hundreds-- maybe thousands of people showing up with checkbooks in hand.... That's how expensive those cars were the first few years. The manufacturers do not condone price gouging, but really can't do much about it. THe dealer isn't gonna complain, and most likely, neither is the customer, so it hardly get's noticed. Several Honda dealers were sanctioned by Honda corporate when they found out the dealers ware having sealed bid auctions on S2000s, but nothing major happened to them...

Steve

Last edited:
Don't forget the Xterra. The first ones were selling for the same $$ as much nicer 4runners. People are so f'in stupid. Yea, I'll give you $5000 over sticker:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom