Anyone have an AC crimp tool they'll rent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning for my AC install and I dont really want to buy a tool or run all over the country finding someone that crimps AC hoses.

Planning for my AC install and I dont really want to buy a tool or run all over the country finding someone that crimps AC hoses.

I think these might require more than a hand tool to get a good leak-free line...
What compressor are you connecting to?

I think these might require more than a hand tool to get a good leak-free line...
What compressor are you connecting to?

Yeah, in the investigatory phase of this at the present time. I may give in and spent time on the phone to find where I can get these crimped and I'llprobably also want them to do the vacuum and charging.

Lot's of guys use the hand-held hydraulic crimper tool with good results.

Connecting to the stock GM compressor in the 5.3 via an adapter block.

Planning for my AC install
What A/C unit did you end up with?
I know most of them will rent you a hand held crimper that works with their hose and fittings, you'll need to know exactly what fittings you have and use the correct crimper or you'll have issues. FYI the Parker fittings and hose that came in my Restomod kit are a different size than the Parker fittings and hose our local fitting store sells and every one of my hoses developed a leak at some point from using the incorrect crimper.

I went with the Classic Auto Air unit Street Rod Cooler III (which I believe is equivalent to the RestoMod unit).

They don't rent the crimper tool. I've read Vintage Air will rent a tool but I haven't reached out to inquire.

What A/C unit did you end up with?
I know most of them will rent you a hand held crimper that works with their hose and fittings, you'll need to know exactly what fittings you have and use the correct crimper or you'll have issues. FYI the Parker fittings and hose that came in my Restomod kit are a different size than the Parker fittings and hose our local fitting store sells and every one of my hoses developed a leak at some point from using the incorrect crimper.
Could Hydraulic shop crimp those for you?

Could Hydraulic shop crimp those for you?
They take different dies to crimp A/C lines and they are specific to the brand from what I was told.

They take different dies to crimp A/C lines and they are specific to the brand from what I was told.
Interesting, always something to catch you up...meh.

Interesting, always something to catch you up...meh.
Yes, for once I just want to press a big red "easy" button.... I don't think it really exists.

we've got one at work, it's been a while since I last used it. going from memory, put the crimp in the vise and use an air gun to run the 2 pieces together until the 2 halves come together. there are different size holes/crimps for different size hose

Specialty shop? We have a Tubes N Hoses locally, looks like they have a lot of them: System Locations

My favorite local repair shop invested in the tools to make custom AC lines, so I think that is where I will go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom