Anyone done a power steering swap to the GX? - Needed for Comma Ai (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Being done all the time. Theoretically, all you need is adaptive cruise & eletric power steering. You can either upload vehicle specs yourself, or find someone on discord to help you out. This is called 'finger printing' process. Once this is one, your vehicle specs gets merged with the main open source code. From there on, your car is automatically supported with every updates & enhancements. Like I said, I have this done on my Ram 3500 (AEV Prospector XL). It's works flawlessly, and AI is much better than LTA or anything else out there.

Being done all the time. Theoretically, all you need is adaptive cruise & eletric power steering. You can either upload vehicle specs yourself, or find someone on discord to help you out. This is called 'finger printing' process. Once this is one, your vehicle specs gets merged with the main open source code. From there on, your car is automatically supported with every updates & enhancements. Like I said, I have this done on my Ram 3500 (AEV Prospector XL). It's works flawlessly, and AI is much better than LTA or anything else out there.
As mentioned above, OP vehicle is hydraulic power steering and there currently is no donor electric steering motor or rack that is known.

Hopefully someone who is very mechanically inclined can join in the conversation and provide some constructive feedback to make it happen. Either adapting the Tundra's rack & column or wait and see what mods are required to make the GX 550 components to work on the 460. I would prefer the entire swap so that I can remove all the hyraulic components. would be much cleaner and less maintenance.

Looks like I'll just be a fly on the wall throughout this thread since I don't have electric steering boost or adaptive cruise.
Wasn't available on 2013's.

You're probably going to need to find a competent shop look at doing this, including one that has access to one of the TNGA-F rigs, can do the required fabrication, and figure out the electrical system integration (steering angle sensor, CANBUS, skid control, etc). I can see the latter effort possibly needing a very knowledgeable electrical person (potentially a electrical engineer) and some other software work to get the systems to talk to each other. There probably aren't many shops that would be willing to look into it. I'd start with various high-end Toyota off-road shops and see if any are willing to tackle it.

This just isn't a mod that many of us on here would have must interest in tackling, we really focus on our rigs for off-roading/overlanding/etc. A few folks have done the 200-series rack swap as part of installing RCLT front suspensions; however that mod is much easier as it's a straight physical modification without any electronic sorcery.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll take it that far to bring in an electrical engineer. Steering just needs to be converted to electric and connect it to the canbus like many other EPS upgrades out there. Once connected to Canbus, Commai Ai controls it by giving it left or right commands. Commai AI has all the tools it needs. I don't see the electrical configuration as the issue. The issue here is to find, or find & mod a EPS steering rack that would be the best candidate. Similar to what is being done now (land cruiser rack into GX). Mounting brackets and other minor mods are required. Where similar mod can be done using the latest Tundra / GX 550 rack is the unknown. It'll be an interesting and process, but I'm determined.

Once the part number for the GX 550 is known, I'll compare it to Tundra & Highlander components to see which systems would work the best. I'll then buy a set and get to work. If it doesn't work then it's not the end of the world. If it does, I'll have my dream SUV + others who wants the same will benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom