Anybody try Round Eyes headlights? Any good? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the "round-eyes" on my truck... good product.

THe only thing I've notcied or it looks like it does this to me. Is that the difference between the low and high beam (angle of the light beam )is fairly large in my view. They way it appears to me is that once you get the headlights adjusted...the low beams seem to be right on target, but the high beams seem to be pointed too high. Anyone else experience that?

Maybe I'm crazy but my low beams work great....high beams seem to be pointed to high (nothing you can do about that) with a single sealed headlight. I'm thinking to get my high beams down , its going to throw off the low beams too low. Make sense?

You know, until you mentioned it I kinda never thought about it... but now that you do I think I agree. Mine seem to do the same thing. I really really like them though. They have also gotten pretty roughed up from road trash like rocks. Not cloudy, just kinda pitted. I wonder if I would have gotten glass (IPF Housing) if they'd be broken by now. I think the Roundeyes probably outlived a glass housing that would have been subjected to the same conditions

who do you see for a better headlight harness to use with the round eyes? I may buy some "bright" bulbs next time around. Also is the "improved" harness a plug-an-play upgrade?

The upgraded harness improves light output even with low wattage bulbs because it is capable of delivering more current. The stock wiring is pretty lossy given the small gauge and switches, ect.

I upgraded to the Roundeyes about 3 years ago and really liked the housings. I kept whatever bulbs they came with and noticed a nice improvement over sealed beams. It was not like night and day, but it was something I'd TOTALLY do over again. The sealed beams just suck. Anyways, a few months later I upgraded the harness from Kurt (Cruiser Outfitters) and kept the same bulbs the Roundeyes came with. Noticed the same improvement all over again. It was like twice as good. About 2 years ago I threw in some 90/100 bulbs. Then it got really nice.

Those burned out in like a year.

I replaced them with 100/130 watt bulbs off of ebay.. those are REALLY nice and are still running today. Big thing was I had to aim them down a bit to keep from getting flashed. I figure if folks aren't flashing they aren't too bright.

So, what are my next steps??? I want the same light output but want to lower the power consumption...130 Watts per side seems like a lot. A friend of mine with a Rubicon bought this kit with the IPF headlight housings and I have to say that the cutoff is very very sharp, and the lights work really really well. Like REALLY well. Brighter than my 130W hi beams it seems like. The IPF housings do appear to have a nicer cutoff, it looked just like the videos the guy has on his site.

Jeep HID Conversion : Skinny Pedal Products!

Erik @ wired wagon / wagon gear is great to deal with and the harness is perfect. He customized the layout for my BJ 60. It took minutes to install and made 100% difference with my Bosh "upgraded" sealed beams. Ready to really upgrade the sealed beams. (since they have both taken rocks) Round eyes or Hella?

if you take alot of rocks, roundeyes may be a better choice-they have clear, polycarbonate lenses versus glass in most others...

but there my be other factors to conisder in each individual case.

swamp60

Love my Roundeyes, best 15 minute mod I've done.

What options are availbile for us with square eyes?

I have Bosch units from Daniel Stern:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...s-fire-headlight-harness-upgrade-my-62-a.html

If I were to do it again, I think I would start with one of SLCs harnesses, and then go from there (you'll see a pic or two that show the improvement with just the harness in that thread). The harness alone will give you more light, add the new lamps and bulbs and you'll get more light yet and a more controlled pattern.

all around a worthwhile upgrade....I'll see about getting the improved light wiring harness and maybe some stronger bulbs. Great improvement over stock just the way it sits now. I have some aftermarket driving lights to install on the bumper and I'll be good for the front.

Any good ideas for a flood type light to use as a backup light?...maybe mounted on my bumper somewhere with dual swingouts...Its really hard to see at night backing up offroad...all I have at present is stock lighting. Something bright to see well enough to the rear on the trails at night.

all around a worthwhile upgrade....I'll see about getting the improved light wiring harness and maybe some stronger bulbs. Great improvement over stock just the way it sits now. I have some aftermarket driving lights to install on the bumper and I'll be good for the front.

Any good ideas for a flood type light to use as a backup light?...maybe mounted on my bumper somewhere with dual swingouts...Its really hard to see at night backing up offroad...all I have at present is stock lighting. Something bright to see well enough to the rear on the trails at night.

Elbert - pic request on your light pattern against a wall or something?

As for the backup light - check out the lightforce lance 140 - with a wide angle diffuser i bet it would be perfect! Or some of the new LED ones...

I have noticed some of the new LED lights (like on the slee web site)....but they are priced pretty steep in my view. I would like to get a single "bright" light to use as a backup light and maybe mount it high up on the spare tire swing out or on the gas can swing out...whatever works.. Thats one of the small future projects.

I'll see about getting a night time pic to post.

I've got a couple of Hella work lights attached to the back of my roof rack that I'm wiring to a toggle switch. I'll just turn them on when I'm backing up. I think I paid $15 a piece for them.

I've always been curious about the Round eyes - anyone have a shot to compare with the above? 3-5' from garage door or wall to show light pattern? They are DOT, so probably do not have the same light pattern... unless they started selling e-code lenses recently (or just offroad only lenses) - i'll have to double check.

sl33py-

I will snap a pic tonight, but the RE's throw a pretty simillar beam pattern to the one one the left in your pic. It's like a rectangular bar of light, very sharp vertical cutoff, although it does not really seem to have that kick up pattern to the right....

swamp60

Thanks Swamp and Elbert! I was wondering how the newer lenses like RE compare to the e-code pattern. I KNOW it would be an improvement over stock (just about anything is!), but apples to apples just pattern wise it would be good to see. Especially as the RE's are nearly 1/2 the price of the Hella's or Cibie's.

As for the LED light - i wasn't talking about some of the new LED 7" headlight equivalents (though pretty sweet looking), rather one of the work lights like...

this is a worklight from superbrightleds.com (probably too narrow a beam, but what i imagine might work)
work-light-3.jpg

beambehind.jpg

they also have these (bumper mount?)
smrt-1.jpg

pt-whp10.jpg

and here's the lance 140 i was talking about:
K6LTF200.1.1.jpg
K6LTF200.1.2.jpg

and some covers light patterns:
K6LTF200.1.jpg

I really should get around to upgrading my headlights. Is there any real difference between the available wiring harness upgrades: SLC, ARB, or WagonGear?

:beer: Chad

SLC = WagonGear

I have his harness for my 40; I doubt very much you could do better with anything else. It's a work of art.

I really should get around to upgrading my headlights. Is there any real difference between the available wiring harness upgrades: SLC, ARB, or WagonGear?

:beer: Chad

I installed the ARB harness and IPF lights in my 60 quite a few years back.
It was the greatest thing i did to improve the rig. Other than the OME suspension.
100X better night vision.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'll go with WagonGear.

you wont be dissapointed-

slcfj62 makes these to order which takes a little longer but the harness is made for you personal needs and can be very simple or made to include provisions for your AUX lighting (or other accesory) needs as well, plus the service after the sale is over the top.

and you are supporting a really great mud member/vendor

i posted a link to his harness thread earlier in this thread...

swamp60

so all this RE talk has me thinking.......

i'm a roundeyes dealer and like them a lot. anybody interested in a group buy? i could set it up.......

georg @ valley hybrids

I'd be in if they give some kind of price break, I've been meaning to order a pair for a while this would be a great excuse.

they're usually $109/pair. if we can get 10 or more people together then i know i can do better than that. i'd say $95-100 per pair.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

sorry about the hi-jack.......:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom