Any idea what this noise is? 2013 Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This noise has started on my 2013. Seems like it happens when it gets below 30 degrees overnight. The sound goes away after it warms up. 336,000 miles

2011 with 200k miles heard a ticking noise from bank 1 after vehicle sat for more than usual. It was cold as well. I did an oil change less than 1k miles. Left the oil filter ran the engine idle for 10 - 15 minutes flushed it again 0w - 20, and refilled with 5w-30. Never ran 5w-30, and was recommended by a prominent landcruiser shop once you hit high mileage.
Since the 5w-30 the noise has subsided only 60 miles so far on the oil change. Took it to the dealer for another issue and no issues were brought up.

Mechanic's stethoscopes are dirt cheap and super, super useful for tracking down noises like this.

Why do you think this is a good idea? Serious question.

It's a good idea because the dealer is "fixing" the wrong thing. They gave you a bad diagnosis - it's not the lifters. It's the driver-side timing chain tensioner.

...or you can just let the dealer tear the motor apart twice. Maybe not a bad option since you'll get new parts for free out of the deal. LOL

It's a good idea because the dealer is "fixing" the wrong thing. They gave you a bad diagnosis - it's not the lifters. It's the driver-side timing chain tensioner.

...or you can just let the dealer tear the motor apart twice. Maybe not a bad option since you'll get new parts for free out of the deal. LOL
After the repair is done if the car is still making the same noise then I’ll reassess but I’ll be shocked if that’s the case as well as have serious concerns with their mechanics.

Except they've said they won't cover the tensioners.

After the repair is done if the car is still making the same noise then I’ll reassess but I’ll be shocked if that’s the case as well as have serious concerns with their mechanics.

I don't know how people can be more clear, based on thousands of posts online, the dealer misdiagnosed your issue. I outlined a way to fix the problem even if they did.. if they put it all back together and it starts clattering again they'll say the tensioners aren't covered and send you on your way.

There are dozens of mechanics who have killed Land Cruisers. One of the only ways they die.

You do you.

There are dozens of mechanics who have killed Land Cruisers. One of the only ways they die.

You do you.
The tensioners are covered…I posted it earlier and even with a screenshot from my warranty. I also can’t make Toyota do what they don’t want to do and I’m not in the position to fork over $3k. Logically if the truck makes the same noise after the lifter work then I’ll bring back up the tensioners. Maybe Toyota is trying to milk the warranty company?

Update: Toyota said the noise was engine lifters and the warranty company is going to cover the $3k bill!

I'm not sure if you clicked on my link in post 2 of this thread, but I experienced this exact same noise and problem as well as many others here in addition to many more on the Tundra forum. The noise you are hearing is almost certainly the driver side timing chain tensioner, so if they have diagnosed it as lifters, it likely will not resolve the problem. Has the warranty company sent an adjuster to confirm the work? Did you tell the shop you thought it was the tensioner? Here is what my post said along with a list of part numbers to fix it and a video with the same noise. We are trying to help you out and save you time/hassle/money, so I suggest asking for a second opinion and providing the suggestions found in this thread to the shop and warranty company.

"I noticed about 45 seconds after a cold start, there was a very loud intermittent ticking sound that lasted about 3 minutes then stopped. After lots of research, mostly on the Tundra forums, I found it was likely the left hand side timing chain tensioner. The good news is the part is pretty cheap - the bad news is the labor is very expensive, and there are a lot of "while you're in there" parts to change. I purchased a third party warranty when I first acquired the vehicle, but like most aftermarket warranties the fine print is a huge buzzkill. It ended up only covering less than half the total cost of the repair, but it was better than nothing I suppose. My share of the cost plus the cost of the warranty ended up being nearly what the total repair bill was, so the way I looked at it was any additional repairs covered by the warranty would pay for the warranty. Also, here is a list of all the parts that were replaced along with list prices and how much labor was. Not a cheap repair, but in the five 200s I've owned, this is the only one that required the service.

1704238540673.png

Here is a video of the sound the engine would make upon startup:

The tensioners are covered…I posted it earlier and even with a screenshot from my warranty. I also can’t make Toyota do what they don’t want to do and I’m not in the position to fork over $3k. Logically if the truck makes the same noise after the lifter work then I’ll bring back up the tensioners. Maybe Toyota is trying to milk the warranty company?
Did you ask Toyota whether they plan to reuse the tensioners/chains/guides as suggested?

It won’t cost 3k.

Even if I had to pay for those specific parts out of pocket I’d do so to prevent having a mechanic in there twice.

You can’t make them but you can suggest they change it. You asked the forum about the noise, got a pretty definitive answer now you’re saying you don‘t care if they don’t fix it and have to go in again? Kind of a weird approach, I would want it all done right the first time by having a short conversation since the part is cheap anyways.

Yup, I've seen your post and appreciate it! I've already brought the tensioners to Toyota, and they assured me they aren't the problem. Also, I've asked for the cost to do the tensioners since they are already doing engine work, as well as what's the plan with the current tensioners.

Based on how the above goes tomorrow, I could call the warranty company to bring in an adjuster but I'd imagine it might rub Toyota the wrong way.

I appreciate everyone's help and time!

Honestly this is a much deeper issue than “welp Toyota says lifters give it a go, if it’s not the warranty will smile and write another $4-5k check”. It’s very possible, almost probable, that unless you luck upon a very experienced Toyo tech you are going to get burned. Third party warranty companies are notoriously sleazy. They generally argue with the dealer to pay dirt bottom rates. They know that no attorney will take your case for $8-10k of damages. And if he/she does, it’s going to cost you $4k-$10k+++ upfront to pursue. And you risk losing for some contract you didn’t know you signed or fine print or whatever else.

It sounds like they have to mess with the timing chain anyway. Pay out of pocket to have the dealer replace the guides or whatever while they’re in there. Give the dealer some meat on the bone with the repair. Give yourself FAR less of a headache. I pretty much promise that this warranty is going to point to something in the contract and push back on paying for another repair due to misdiagnosis. These warranty companies have full time salaried attorneys whose entire job and life is mitigating cost when these situations get sticky. Over 30 years on car forums and some of the stories are insane.

Toyota told me it was the VVTI gears even after I insisted it wasn't after doing tons of reading and research. I was paying for it so I told them skip the gears and do the tensioner. Problem solved.

Glad you got the tensioners. You have WAY too much faith in mechanics. They get it wrong all the time. I had a weird clunk that I couldn’t find the source of. Took it into Toyota and they quoted about $4k in parts to fix it. I said no thanks and kept looking - finally found the source. It was a mudflap.

Toyota told me it was the VVTI gears even after I insisted it wasn't after doing tons of reading and research. I was paying for it so I told them skip the gears and do the tensioner. Problem solved.

Glad you got the tensioners. You have WAY too much faith in mechanics. They get it wrong all the time. I had a weird clunk that I couldn’t find the source of. Took it into Toyota and they quoted about $4k in parts to fix it. I said no thanks and kept looking - finally found the source. It was a mudflap.

I cannot agree more. The days of "dealer serviced" being a good thing are gone. Dealer techs are underpaid, vastly overworked, the good ones go to independent shops for better working environments and more pay. Yes there are outliers, but any nice car I plan to keep very long term I take to indy shops even under warranty. Things like alignments, tires, oil changes, and general maintenance are typically ok at the dealer. But pulling heads off a motor, is a very luck of the draw situation.

Work is done. I am a little frustrated as there was a "miscommunication"(switching of service managers over the weekend) on them getting back to me to explain any possible options on replacing the timing chain while working on my engine. I was only out at the cost of an oil change. Over the next few days, I'll check in the morning to ensure the rattle is gone. I'll explore any LC or local Toyota shops in my area for future work. I learned a lot over this experience, and again, thanks for everyone's input/time.

IMG_5445 Redacted.jpeg

Work is done. I am a little frustrated as there was a "miscommunication"(switching of service managers over the weekend) on them getting back to me to explain any possible options on replacing the timing chain while working on my engine. I was only out at the cost of an oil change. Over the next few days, I'll check in the morning to ensure the rattle is gone. I'll explore any LC or local Toyota shops in my area for future work. I learned a lot over this experience, and again, thanks for everyone's input/time.

View attachment 3527119
Don’t let your guard down. Sometimes fresh oil will prevent the rattle for a while, so don’t be surprised if it’s gone but comes back later.

That said, I really hope they fixed your rig and you have a bunch of problem free miles ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom