Any danger of running the engine with the transfer case off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I have to drop my transfer case to repair a screw up of my own making, but have another engine project I need to do that I could knock out while I'm waiting for parts. Is there any danger/risk to running the engine while the transfer is removed? It wouldn't be moved/driven, just idled in Park.

Nope

I have to drop my transfer case to repair a screw up of my own making, but have another engine project I need to do that I could knock out while I'm waiting for parts. Is there any danger/risk to running the engine while the transfer is removed? It wouldn't be moved/driven, just idled in Park.
Leave it in Park if you can.

If you HAVE to place it in gear, you may find it hard to place back into park because there is nothing to stop the input / output shaft from turning so it will grind hard when trying to put it back in Park. Better to shut it off, wait a minute, then place it in Park.

just make sure that you block the wheels or have it on jackstands so the truck dosnt roll away when you pull the tcase
Thank you. Wheels are chocked.

Thank you. Wheels are chocked.

no worries, it may be obvious but sometimes you dont remember till the truck starts rolling away. had that happen when i pulled a rear driveshaft and didnt have the truck in 4wd

One thing Harbor Freight can't get too wrong. :)

IMG_2740.jpeg

I have four of them. One behind each of the rear wheels and one in front of each of the front wheels.

It is a very good reminder! I could see being in a rush and forgetting.

Leave it in Park if you can.

If you HAVE to place it in gear, you may find it hard to place back into park because there is nothing to stop the input / output shaft from turning so it will grind hard when trying to put it back in Park. Better to shut it off, wait a minute, then place it in Park.
I will leave it in park. Thank you.

I did it last night and it seemed to work fine. Thanks!

Thanks, I will be doing that. I ordered the output seal for the transmission, the input seal for the transfer case, the hi/lo shift shaft seal, the front output seal, the rear output seal, and the large front and rear bearings.

I'm not doing a full refresh, mostly due to time and expense. I may build the one I remove with lower gears this winter if I get motivated.

I know a guy that pulled both driveshafts while parked on a inclined driveway. Rig broke several ribs when it rolled OVER him, and it made it clear across the street. It wasn't me, but I try to remember how easy you can miss a critical detail when you hurry.

The transmission output shaft might spit out transmission fluid.
@truthdetector - I should have listened to you. Anyone else that does this should heed your warning! I ran the engine briefly and it was fine. Then I ran it for longer trying to see how my engine ran and idled. After a few seconds? minutes? not sure... but I heard what sounded like running water, and then realized my transmission output was dumping fluid on the garage floor. Doh! At that moment, I remembered your advice and kicked myself for not heeding it. I finally got it all cleaned up, and now need to figure out how much to top off. Oh well, live and learn. But next time, listen to the people who have "been there, done that".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom