1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antenna locations

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by red66toy, Nov 11, 2003.

1. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

I installed a cd player in my cruiser and I want to be able to listen to the radio. Do you guys know any good places to put an antenna. I dont want to drill and holes. Thanks for the help.

2. Mike S

Mike S

My '72 FJ40 came from the factory with the antenna mounted to the winshield post with two crhome brackets. This is the set-up you willl see if you search SOR...

Mike S

3. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

All I see is the antenna mounted to the side of the cruiser under the windsheild hinge.

4. residualboulders

residualboulders

Media:
    i recently had a CD player installed in my cruiser and I left the antenna (unextended) tucked in between my air conditioner and dash. I get great reception for the stations I'm after. I was going to mount it on the side where it goes, but I didn't want to redrill holes.

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

AFAIK fj40's did not come from the factory with and antenna, they were port or dealer installed. There is actaully a kit which has templetes for locating the antena and speaker(only one)

On fj40's(73+ at least) this is the stock location.
    [​IMG]

72 I think was the 1st year for the radio hole in fj40's, so it may have been different, I can find no 72 lit showing a radio or antenna installed. I would bet 1000's of non stock radios and antenna were installed whereever the "tech" felt like it, I have seen en on the cowl, on the frame, on the roof.....ect ect......but stock is like the pic.

John H

6. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    That is how I did mine (on my '71). It was a little painful to drill the holes, but really worth it in the end.

7. Landpimp

Landpimp

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=7417;start=msg61941#msg61941 date=1068604398]
    My '72 FJ40 came from the factory with the antenna mounted to the winshield post with two crhome brackets. This is the set-up you willl see if you search SOR...

Mike S
    [/quote]

like this?
    http://www.sor.com/sor/cat167.tam?xax=6449&page.ctx=cat167.tam
    [​IMG]

its a stock antenna(I dont see chrome) in a non stock location......I'm 99.9% sure.......not that it really matters(well it does sorta)......mount it where ever is easiest. If you don't want to drill holes they make an antenna that mounts to the inside of the window(I have one on my fj80) works well IF you use a booster, but you don't need to drill holes, just stick it on the window, on the 80 I keep busting antenna(yeah I'm a slow learner) so it's inside now.

John H

8. Mike S

Mike S

Landpimp posted the picture - I was probably not remembering clearly, as I took delivery of this truck over 30 years ago, but it was mounted similarly to the one in the photo, but with a small chrome bracket set. The bottom of the antenna did not have the black rubber/plastic bun thing on it, tho'. My FJ40 was a similar tan color to the one in the photo. Wish I had her today :-(

I just ordered a power antenna and stock dash switch from an FJ62 for my FJ60 - a cool add-on ito a 40 f you can find a place to mount it!

Mike S

9. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I really wanted to put a power antenna in my 40, too, but I couldn't for the life of me find a reasonable place to stick it.

10. Landpimp

Landpimp

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=7417;start=msg61990#msg61990 date=1068609738]
    Landpimp posted the picture - I was probably not remembering clearly, as I took delivery of this truck over 30 years ago, but it was mounted similarly to the one in the photo, but with a small chrome bracket set. The bottom of the antenna did not have the black rubber/plastic bun thing on it, tho'. My FJ40 was a similar tan color to the one in the photo. Wish I had her today :-(

I just ordered a power antenna and stock dash switch from an FJ62 for my FJ60 - a cool add-on ito a 40 f you can find a place to mount it!

Mike S

[/quote]

that will be nice to have in the 60. Whats odd is earlier 60's came with a power antenna, I think 84 and 85 years. but 86-7 don't. If you can't find a place on the 60 for the 62 switch try to find one for a fj60.....there must be on.

11. fjcruiser

fjcruiser

Funny, I have a '76 40 and my factory antenna is on the drivers side.

12. hammerhead

hammerhead

78 is on drivers side too.

13. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmm, my 76 is on the pass. side and it dosent look anything like that.

14. Lor

Lor

My '78 is on the driver side as well. Who cares! As long as it works. :D

15. Bryan-71

Bryan-71

I have a stock antenna mount on my '71, passenger side a little higher than what is in the pictures. I asked the original owner and he said that it never had a radio but it came from the factory with an antenna.

16. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Antenna but not a radio? Radio wasn't even an option in '71? That is weird.

17. Bryan-71

Bryan-71

The tag says it was made in 9/71 if that makes a differance. I read that it wasnt an option, thats why I asked him about it, yet another good thing about buying a one owner vehicle that is 30 years old. It only has 50,000 miles, and he bought it in Washington state and drove it allll the way down here to Louisiana.