Another "what's this noise" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, sorry to bring up another one of these, but I feel like a moron riding around with this noise. Just started a day or two ago, with no recent maintenance done that would've affected it (I did replace window trim moulding finally, but doubt that messed up my driveline).

As a starting point, it seems to be speed dependent vice engine rpm, and happens both in straight lines and turns. Wheel bearing? Something rubbing brakes? I'm at work, so I can't start taking stuff apart at the moment.

Any help is much appreciated.

I would say it's something rubbing on your brakes. look around both sides of the rotor surface and around the brake shield. Rotate the wheel while in the air to see if you can duplicate the sound.

Sounds to me like brakes dragging.

Drive next to a curb or wall and try to see if you can duplicate it. Then step on brakes to see if it goes silent.

You have drums on the rear and disc on the front.
Roll down a window when next to a curb or wall to see if it is rear or front based on which window it is loudest.

Odds are it's rear drum brakes dragging. Check to make sure your parking brake lever is not pulled up a little.

Getting it towed to a local shop that does a lot of LC work. Always something right!

This don’t seem right…lugs aren’t lose…

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
How was this thread not posted months ago with the title: "this car won't handle or stop for crap and steering down the freeway is a near death experience"?
seriously though, did you not feel like something was up before there was a noise? that is a crazy loose/worn set of bearings.

Time for wheel bearings and seals.

make sure they torque the inner nut to 35 LB-FT and the outer nut to 45 LB-FT. NOT per the FSM, as it is incorrect.

Also make sure they pack the birf with grease as well as the space between the wheel bearings.

Also, hope the spindle isn't ground down with it that loose.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
How was this thread not posted months ago with the title: "this car won't handle or stop for crap and steering down the freeway is a near death experience"?
seriously though, did you not feel like something was up before there was a noise? that is a crazy loose/worn set of bearings.
No! Literally nothing until two days ago! No wobble, no steering feedback, no wandering. I’m thankful for Mr. Toyota’s engineering

Are all the bottom studs in the knuckle?
I just did rebuild on my white 80 new seals, spindles, knuckle stud hardware, koyo wheel bearings, and couple misc bolts bout 600 bucks with shipping in parts

Are all the bottom studs in the knuckle?
I just did rebuild on my white 80 new seals, spindles, knuckle stud hardware, koyo wheel bearings, and couple misc bolts bout 600 bucks with shipping in parts

Not sure, being towed to the shop this morning. I'll update when we find out what's wrong for anyone searching in the future.

I've gotta pull up my records, but I had my truck lifted by a shop in San Diego back in January/February timeframe. I had originally asked for full oil and grease work specifically mentioning knuckles. Not sure what all they did, but wondering if that service might've had something to do w/ it.

Again, I'll update later w/ what the shop finds.

get a grease gun and grease all the u joints and the driveshafts. check back after. that should solve your problem

get a grease gun and grease all the u joints and the driveshafts. check back after. that should solve your problem
That's not gonna help OP when his wheel is about to fall off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom