Another Radiator Replacement Question for August 2022- **1997 FzJ80** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I've been going through as many radiator posts as I can find and there's ben some really good information, like THIS POST HERE where it mentions on Page 3 about a good Koyo

Sidenote: I'm not seeing any discoloration on my radiator top tank housing, and the dash gauge never (as of yet) gets above "Normal"; coolant is still green after the last several years...I don't think I NEED to replace the radiator, BUT, I'm redoing the cooling system (Mentioned in previous posts) so I'm kind of assuming I should just replace the radiator as PM and keep the old one "on hand" as a back up.

I've narrowed it down to either Denso or KoyoRad (for OEM Part # 16400-66081) and I'm leaning towards Denso.

Does anyone know if THIS DENSO RADIATOR is a straight swap into a 1997 rig?

Pros? Cons?

I'm trying to stay at the $300 or less budget mark but can/will (with some side-eye and grumbling) go to $500-ish if NEEDED.

Thanks in advance!

If you wanna go cheap tyg I think is the brand, my buddy has put in numerous denso with not issues

Check your actual temps with a gauge, whether a dedicated one like scan/ultragauge, or a cheap wifi plug with your phone. The dash gauge doesn’t move until you’re already well on your way to overheating. If it’s running warm, and you’re overhauling the cooling, definitely do a new rad. If your old one isn’t leaking or underperforming, keep it as backup like you said. If temps look normal, I’d probably still do a new one anyway, if you don’t mind spending the $$

I replaced the PO’s cheap rad last year with a Koyo that I bought from a dealer (not ebay or amazon) and it has been trouble free for just over a year. I’d prefer OEM, but price with shipping to me was over twice what I paid for the koyo, and I felt fine about the choice.

Last edited:
I just do oem if I were you bought mine for for 325
Except they're not available, at least at the moment:
16400-66081
1659386293600.png

I'm in the same boat...

Check your actual temps with a gauge, whether a dedicated one like scan/ultragauge, or a cheap wifi plug with your phone. The dash gauge doesn’t move until you’re already well on your way to overheating. If it’s running warm, and you’re overhauling the cooling, definitely do a new rad. If your old one isn’t leaking or underperforming, keep it as backup like you said. If temps look normal, I’d probably still do a new one anyway, if you don’t mind spending the $$

I replaced the PO’s cheap rad last year with a Koyo that I bought from a dealer (not ebay or amazon) and it has been trouble free for just over a year. I’d prefer OEM, but price with shipping to me was over twice what I paid for the koyo, and I felt fine about the choice.

I'm picking up an ODB2 bluetooth plugin to connect to an old Samsung tablet that I have...I'd like to use ACTUAL gauges but there's not enough room, in my opinion...and I like my gauges to be near eye level/line of sight and not down by the shifter. Plus, with a tablet, I can have ALL THE GUAGES, haha!

I found an OEM (through a local Toyota dealership) for $385.00 but I'm leaning towards the Denso since Toyota owns like some 49% of Denso and they make parts for Toyota. Still, nothing beats the one and only OEM. BUT, the OEM is a $100 difference...and that's something to consider too. It's NOT that much more, all things considered.

Thanks,

At the moment, McGeorge shows them as N/A.

Olathe Toyota shows them as $385.

Olathe Toyota

Another vote for TRad. I get the idea that you plan to keep your 80 long term. Many original radiators went 20 plus years and who knows how many miles. I got mine from McGeorge 2-3 years ago for $345. $385 from Olathe isn’t too much above your desired $300 limit.

Another vote for TRad. I get the idea that you plan to keep your 80 long term. Many original radiators went 20 plus years and who knows how many miles. I got mine from McGeorge 2-3 years ago for $345. $385 from Olathe isn’t too much above your desired $300 limit.

I'll probably go with thee TRad...it's an additional $65 for shipping (making it $450) inching it close to my max.

I wish I could get them shipped that cheap! That’s my estimate on the Toyota sites, but becomes $491 at checkout (yes, shipping alone). The place I bought my Koyo was the only shop I found that was willing to find me a realistic shipping quote.

TYC1918 from Rockauto.com for $197. This is one of the few parts I would suggest from them. The Arizona guys run them because they are physcially thicker than OEM, Koyo, Denso.

That’s not live inventory.

It’s readily available.

They are merely not allowing it to be sold.
My local dealer told me the same thing. So how do I get one?

I just did the OEM (brass version, 16400-66040). $335 and free shipping from Rohrich. They also have the aluminum for $410.

Been using Rohrich for a lot of stuff, they're always very close to the cheapest online parts depts but not all of them offer the free shipping deal. Radiator showed up a few days after I ordered, packaged well.

Partsouq?

I just did the OEM (brass version, 16400-66040). $335 and free shipping from Rohrich. They also have the aluminum for $410.

Been using Rohrich for a lot of stuff, they're always very close to the cheapest online parts depts but not all of them offer the free shipping deal. Radiator showed up a few days after I ordered, packaged well.

When you say brass and aluminum, do you mean the tubes or the tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom