Another MPG Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s an interesting point @BullElk. I gas up at Costco exclusively, I made a few experiments already, exact same driving style, same route, same vehicle setup on the LX; on 91 ron premium gas I get 390-400 miles on a 22 gallon full tank. On 87 ron unleaded gas I get 290-320 miles on a 22 gallon full tank.

However on my DD (2020 honda fit ex) premium or unleaded gas, same conditions, same driving style I get 400-420 miles out of a 10 gallon fill up.

ECU programming maybe? 🤔

Damn, I barely get 300 on a tank (bumpers, sliders, and 33's)

Interesting as well, If I calculated correctly the price per tank difference is about $13. That would pay for about 6 gallons of 87 octane getting you another 85-90 miles on that gas. Which is basically the same difference in fuel costs.

Damn, I barely get 300 on a tank (bumpers, sliders, and 33's)
Similar like yours on my 09 200 3UR GCC spec I went all out without thinking of the fuel consumption outcome. By the of the whole project and after outfitting all of the components I was only getting 9 maybe 10mpg.

Interesting as well, If I calculated correctly the price per tank difference is about $13. That would pay for about 6 gallons of 87 octane getting you another 85-90 miles on that gas. Which is basically the same difference in fuel costs.
Pretty much lol, just reduced visit at the pumps. I live 3 miles away from Costco pumps so I have a little luxury of maximizing the car’s fuel load.

Your rationale is .... ?
Nothing more than I really like brownies. Eating brownies and not worrying terribly about mpg are two ways to destress.

I usually get 18 at 65mph. I drove to Phoenix doing 60 and got 20 mpgs without a lot of effort. 500 miles to the tank on longer trips. Seems crazy ...

20210205_165325.jpg

Forgot to mention, tire pressure @ 35 PSI all around.

I usually get 18 at 65mph. I drove to Phoenix doing 60 and got 20 mpgs without a lot of effort. 500 miles to the tank on longer trips. Seems crazy ...

View attachment 2577355
I don't think that's unrealistic with a 5-speed... Maybe it's time I get another LC LOL.

I don't understand why people driving «so» fast ! Well, I'm not the mother of anyone but speed is just a way to decrease everfything, from MPG to safety. It is not because you can that you have to drive fast.

My 100 is a diesel HDJ100 and weight 7300lbs. I rarely drive over 60mph and try to stick at 2000-2100 rpm. My average from the last 21 000 miles is 13.4L/100km - 17.6us mpg.

I'm not trying to compare «my» apple with «your» orange, still, speed and RPM play a lot in MPG...

View attachment 2574252
You should try driving in Phoenix. Posted speed limits 65-75. Actual speed of left lane traffic 85-90.

Driving that fast in a 100 might be kinda fruitless, but driving a GT car at 80-100 for extended periods is downright pleasant. It's all about the car and road conditions. Phoenix has some pristine pavement.

Higher octane gas doesn't increase mpg. And if it did, it would have to significantly increase mpg just to break even with total fuel costs. And fuel cost is the reason for caring a lick about mpg and posting this thread. I would rather eat undercooked brownies than stress over my LC/LXs getting better gas mileage. That is a bed I sleep in after making it in 1996.

Higher octane definitely improves MPG (and/or power) in a car that's tuned to take advantage of it (like the 100). I ran a long term test (~2 years, I think) on my 99. I netted statistically significant more mileage on premium than standard octane. It was not quite enough to cover the cost difference, but there is definitely a difference in performance. The extra timing advance you can squeak out of higher octane levels is significant, even on a low-strung motor like the 2UZ.

I don't think that's unrealistic with a 5-speed... Maybe it's time I get another LC LOL.

Do you need that lift? That's the big killer in your setup in my eyes. That's a huge increase in drag.

Drop the lift to 1.5" and enjoy better road performance, better MPG, lessened CV wear, etc...

You should try driving in Phoenix. Posted speed limits 65-75. Actual speed of left lane traffic 85-90.

Driving that fast in a 100 might be kinda fruitless, but driving a GT car at 80-100 for extended periods is downright pleasant. It's all about the car and road conditions. Phoenix has some pristine pavement.

Higher octane definitely improves MPG (and/or power) in a car that's tuned to take advantage of it (like the 100). I ran a long term test (~2 years, I think) on my 99. I netted statistically significant more mileage on premium than standard octane. It was not quite enough to cover the cost difference, but there is definitely a difference in performance. The extra timing advance you can squeak out of higher octane levels is significant, even on a low-strung motor like the 2UZ.

Do you need that lift? That's the big killer in your setup in my eyes. That's a huge increase in drag.

Drop the lift to 1.5" and enjoy better road performance, better MPG, lessened CV wear, etc...
The LC wont be my daily for much longer. In about the next months or so i'll be purchasing a daily so i'll deal with it in the meanwhile and leave the LC for weekend trips.

the reason land cruisers last so long... is the same reason they get bad mileage....

Everything is overbuilt... overbuilt means more weight... more weight means more mileage.

Aside from checking to see if you mileage all of a sudden reduced as a diagnostic exercise, I think any discussion around mileage is silly.

The LC wont be my daily for much longer. In about the next months or so i'll be purchasing a daily so i'll deal with it in the meanwhile and leave the LC for weekend trips.
Look at the gas and necessary costs you could spend on the LC with the money spent on another vehicle. (Just thinking out loud, not really suggesting what you "should" do)

Look at the gas and necessary costs you could spend on the LC with the money spent on another vehicle. (Just thinking out loud, not really suggesting what you "should" do)
Insurance + maintenance + cost of vehicle covers an incredible amount of gas....

Insurance + maintenance + cost of vehicle covers an incredible amount of gas....
I love that y'all are low key encouraging me to daily the behemoth at the savings of another car/maintenance/insurance/gas lmao. Our household at anytime can have from 4-5 cars in the driveway but since COVID I have been selling and not replacing. Both the wife and myself commute daily to work so we need at minimum 3 cars if one goes down for maintenance. As I mentioned, the LC was never meant to be a daily :) I am NEVER getting rid of this thing. Not at least until it blows up.

Both the wife and myself commute daily to work so we need at minimum 3 cars if one goes down for maintenance.
Only if Japanese, 5 cars minimum otherwise

I love that y'all are low key encouraging me to daily the behemoth at the savings of another car/maintenance/insurance/gas lmao. Our household at anytime can have from 4-5 cars in the driveway but since COVID I have been selling and not replacing. Both the wife and myself commute daily to work so we need at minimum 3 cars if one goes down for maintenance. As I mentioned, the LC was never meant to be a daily :) I am NEVER getting rid of this thing. Not at least until it blows up.
I used to daily my 100, when it was down I’d daily the 80... unless you have some desire to use less gasoline, it’s not cheaper to buy something else to commute unless you have some insane 1.5 hr commute or you plan to buy something incredibly cheap.

I work from home now, otherwise i’d be commuting in the 100 or the 80.

There aren’t many advantages, if any, to buying and maintaining a hundy then letting it sit. However, only a few of the disadvantages are.....drying out of seals and gaskets, losing a good battery, condensation in the fuel tank, rodents homesteading, the lack of safety NOT driving it, potential excommunication from the cool cruiser club, the stress of looking at it knowing you should be driving the beast you bought while also knowing you caved to the mythical MPG dumpster fire theory, etc. etc.

Only if Japanese, 5 cars minimum otherwise
1E787245-3705-4266-B601-1A258F68F4C1.jpeg

Make sense yet? LOL.

I actually own a small transportation company so my daily would be my work truck.

That’s an interesting point @BullElk. I gas up at Costco exclusively, I made a few experiments already, exact same driving style, same route, same vehicle setup on the LX; on 91 ron premium gas I get 390-400 miles on a 22 gallon full tank. On 87 ron unleaded gas I get 290-320 miles on a 22 gallon full tank.

However on my DD (2020 honda fit ex) premium or unleaded gas, same conditions, same driving style I get 400-420 miles out of a 10 gallon fill up.

ECU programming maybe? 🤔
FWIW - the manual for my 98 recommends 91 ron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom