Another MPG Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just noticed you are in Oregon. Terrain is also a big player. If you have a lot of elevation change, that will impact mpg. I used to have a 120 mile round trip commute, with ~2500' altitude change (and a lot of up and down in the middle). Even though it was all highway and no traffic, it was not great on mpg. Pre-land cruiser, so no numbers to compare.

I live in the middle of nowhere in the dirty south and routinely used to set cruise control 110+ on deserted highways in my IS350. My 4 speed LX has completely shifted how I drive roadtrips... I don't exceed 65, even if the speed limit is higher.

Normal config is steel front (like yours) /rear, stock ahc, 285/75/16 KO2s, snorkel, roof rack + tent. Worst I've gotten was 8 doing 90 caravaning to Dega the other year (decent hills for the south on the second half of that trip), and best I've gotten was 14 - had to remove the roof rack to get that. I average probably around 12.5.

So I have a similar set up to you the biggest difference id say is my tires and the extra weight I have in the rear, I run 34's. with that said I still see about 12-13 mpg on the highway and IMO it not hateful for a vehicle that is as heavy as mine. They aren't sports cars I don't see the point in taking mine above 60 mph. the "aerodynamics" on these trucks are about as good as a brick.

100 2.jpg

Are people actually surprised their gas mileage sucks when driving a lifted and armored 6k lb, V8 equipped full-time 4x4 80mph? the frequency of these threads is astounding. slow down, you'll gain a few mpgs back.

Hear me out, though... 2000 LC with the 4 speed transmission. I am not here to complain about MPG but more wondering if this is about right based on others experience.

I am consistently getting 10 MPGs, lucky to hit 250 miles before the gas light comes on. My commute is ALL freeway, 40 miles round-trip, some side roads...

3" lift, front metal bumper, 265/75r16's KO2's, all fluids routinely changed and fresh. Current mileage @ 250k.

Factors that I think MAY be contributing to this MPG:
-75-80 MPH freeway commute (3k RPM?)
-Fuel filter last changed 100k miles ago
-Possible poor alignment?
-Exhaust header leak (does that even make an impact?)

I'm about to install ditch lights and sliders, would hate to be in the single digit MPG range, if so, woulda got a Hummer LOL.

Current setup for reference:
View attachment 2573727

Any thoughts?
Just to add to your references I've got a very similar setup to you and achieve 10-12 when there is snow and slush on the road / or I am hitting the forest roads.

13-15 when consistently between 60-65mph ( 2-2200rpms)
All week long is highway commuting to work

Drop down to that RPM range for a tank and see if you get an improvement.
2,000 RPMS - just under 60mph
2,200 RPMS - just under 65mph
2,400 RPMS - just under 70mph

Are people actually surprised their gas mileage sucks when driving a lifted and armored 6k lb, V8 equipped full-time 4x4 80mph? the frequency of these threads is astounding. slow down, you'll gain a few mpgs back.
No. The point of this thread as stated originally is to determine if I’m being robbed of MPGs from failing or tired equipment.

The consensus here seems to be that finding that sweet spot, 60-70 mph is the biggest contributor to MPGs.

To answer a few questions;
- The terrain in my stretch of Oregon is all flat, paved freeway. For my work commute anyways.
- Tire pressure, let me check on that when I get home. I don’t air down frequently but sometimes stop by a tire shop to make sure it’s in the correct spec. I since then have an air compressor.
- All fluids, tranny, diff, and TC recently changed.
- Air filter 2 months ago.
- Freeway speed limit is 65, meaning traffic is @ 80-85 lol.
- Serviced the throttle body and MAF sensor (cleaning).
- New spark plugs a few months back.

The Land Cruiser was never intended to be my daily after selling my work truck (and daily BMW) but since COVID and the financial health of the economy declined we decided to put off putting more cars in the driveway. With increasing gas prices I am starting to be more alert to the numbers I am getting.

Last edited:
I'm ordering new PCV valve hoses and etc. and seeing if it makes a difference. Will report back.
I'm currently averaging 220 miles to a full tank... no mods, but lots of city driving. Ugh.

From Wit's End (sold out, ordering from ToyotaPartsDeal)
•(1) Valve sub-assembly, ventilation (12204-50020)
•(1) PCV grommet (90480-18001)
•(1) Ventilation cap (12235-50010)
•(1) Ventilation valve cover (12236-50010)
•(1) Ventilation hose (12261-50050)
•(2) Hose clip (90467-15021)
•(1) Ventilation hose (12262-50080)

•(2) Hose clip (90467-20010)

Here's more info on how speed affects MPG ... especially towing.

Bone stock 01 LX + "6500 lb." trailer @ 70-75 mph on flattish terrain - 5.5mpg with OD off
Bone stock 01 LX + "6500 lb." trailer @ 65-70 mph on flattish terrain - 7mpg with OD off
Bone stock 01 LX + "6500 lb." trailer @ 60-65 mph on flattish terrain - 8.5mpg with OD off

Granted, above 70mpg my time was about half and half between not drafting a semi trailer, and drafting a semi trailer
Below 70mpg, the majority of time was drafting a semi trailer.

Avg speed and combination of frontal area/coefficient of drag make very large differences, which is supported by the math

If your truck is a daily driver, losing 30% of your MPGs add up quick.

I was recently considering two sets of tires (Stock defender vs oversize KO2). By my reckoning, the KO2s would cost me $1800+ more in fuel over the life of tire. Whether or not that is worth it, really depends on how you use the truck. My point in mentioning it, is that if $1000 in fixes gets the OP back to 13MPG I'd be all over it too. Better for the truck, better for me.

To answer a few questions;
- The terrain in my stretch of Oregon is all flat, paved freeway. For my work commute anyways.
- Tire pressure, let me check on that when I get home. I don’t air down frequently but sometimes stop by a tire shop to make sure it’s in the correct spec. I since then have an air compressor.
- All fluids, tranny, diff, and TC recently changed.
- Air filter 2 months ago.
- Freeway speed limit is 65, meaning traffic is @ 80-85 lol.
- Serviced the throttle body and MAF sensor (cleaning).
- New spark plugs a few months back.

After that and tire pressures at 34ish, I'd be looking for exhaust leaks (when hot) before the primary 02 sensors, bad O2 sensors, dirty injectors and/or fuel supply problems. Or, said differently -I'd start with a soapy water test test on the headers, a few cans of techron, a new fuel filter and a peek at the fueling info in Techstream. That seems like $50 and some time for a shot at some good info.

If your truck is a daily driver, losing 30% of your MPGs add up quick.

I was recently considering two sets of tires (Stock defender vs oversize KO2). By my reckoning, the KO2s would cost me $1800+ more in fuel over the life of tire. Whether or not that is worth it, really depends on how you use the truck. My point in mentioning it, is that if $1000 in fixes gets the OP back to 13MPG I'd be all over it too. Better for the truck, better for me.

After that and tire pressures at 34ish, I'd be looking for exhaust leaks (when hot) before the primary 02 sensors, bad O2 sensors, dirty injectors and/or fuel supply problems. Or, said differently -I'd start with a soapy water test test on the headers, a few cans of techron, a new fuel filter and a peek at the fueling info in Techstream. That seems like $50 and some time for a shot at some good info.
I used to use that Techron fuel system cleaner stuff all the time in my bmws. Not in the LC. Is that what you are referring to? I have a bottle of it sitting at home if that is recommended?

Another reference point for you. Today I checked 2700 rpm at 80mph (76 indicated, adjusted for my 33s). I run 35 psi.

Seems you need 10%more rpm to get the same speed, IIRC.

A little update.

have been averaging 65 on the freeway the past few days, I am a tad over the half line mark on the gas gauge and my odo is sitting at 120 miles. LOL. I have even been feathering it to get moving everywhere.

Mine is drinking in urban. I am seriously afraid to calculate it. But I guess well over 23 lt/100 km (12 MPG)

But on highway if I be gentle, it's like 15 lt/100 km (19 MPG)

What drives me crazy is the difference. On highway it's not consuming that much, but in urban conditions (I live in a 15+ million populated city) it's waste of gas. I think it's due it's weight, accelerating such a heavy mass is consumption. But once you cruise it to certain speed, it's okay. And that highway speed is no more then 65 mph for me.

Also have some equipment on the vehicle, adding weight.

A little update.

have been averaging 65 on the freeway the past few days, I am a tad over the half line mark on the gas gauge and my odo is sitting at 120 miles. LOL. I have even been feathering it to get moving everywhere.
Same been driving 55-65 and at the midway pt it was at ~130... there's definitely an EVAP leak that I'm going to attempt to suss out this weekend.

Same been driving 55-65 and at the midway pt it was at ~130... there's definitely an EVAP leak that I'm going to attempt to suss out this weekend.
Let me know if you find anything of interest.

Here's more info on how speed affects MPG ... especially towing.

Bone stock 01 LX + "6500 lb." trailer @ 70-75 mph on flattish terrain - 5.5mpg with OD off
Bone stock 01 LX + "6500 lb." trailer @ 65-70 mph on flattish terrain - 7mpg with OD off
Bone stock 01 LX + "6500 lb." trailer @ 60-65 mph on flattish terrain - 8.5mpg with OD off

Granted, above 70mpg my time was about half and half between not drafting a semi trailer, and drafting a semi trailer
Below 70mpg, the majority of time was drafting a semi trailer.

Avg speed and combination of frontal area/coefficient of drag make very large differences, which is supported by the math
Speed has the biggest impact as drag = f(vel squared)

Next up would be accel, since you can control that easier than the drag coefficient (requires body mods).

Higher octane gas doesn't increase mpg. And if it did, it would have to significantly increase mpg just to break even with total fuel costs. And fuel cost is the reason for caring a lick about mpg and posting this thread. I would rather eat undercooked brownies than stress over my LC/LXs getting better gas mileage. That is a bed I sleep in after making it in 1996.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom