Builds Another LS swap? Really??? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any fuel boiling issues on this trip?

My 80 does that, I definitely need to replace the charcoal canister. Adding hood vents helped a lot, but don't solve the problem of a non-functional evap system.

After about 20mph, my hood vents start pulling air in due to being so close to the cowl. Everything cools off nicely on the highway, iat's are 15-20 degrees cooler.

IMG_20190918_122928626.jpg

Last edited:
Jason was having the problem this trip as well and he has the hood vents. He believes the issue is compounded by the wide motor and two exhaust banks , one closer to the evap canister and return.
1595796973868.jpeg

Jasons truck on the right. The multiple engineers involved will solve the issue and I’m sure report back

Any fuel boiling issues on this trip?

My 80 does that, I definitely need to replace the charcoal canister. Adding hood vents helped a lot, but don't solve the problem of a non-functional evap system.

After about 20mph, my hood vents start pulling air in due to being so close to the cowl. Everything cools off nicely on the highway, iat's are 15-20 degrees cooler.

View attachment 2384433
Yessir, I still have the fuel boiling issue. Underhood temps are just too darn high with the LS under there. More venting and a fuel system change is in the planning stages.

It is a bit premature, but I think I have decided on my next project.......before I have even truly finished this one. I am putting together an initial plan, and really doing the feasibility study portion of it. The first part will be to find a good foundation, so I am keeping my eye open for another 80 Series. My must haves are that it must be a complete rig, rust free, and with a good body(no big dents or damage. Not looking to build a beater. I am not concerned with the motor and tranny, as they will be pulled anyway. That said a good, clean 80 with blown motor would be ideal. I also dont care about paint. I just need a very good base to start from. I am probably crazy for even thinking about another build, but it is one I have had in my head since early on in this one. Let me know if you come across a good 80 that fits the need.

It is a bit premature, but I think I have decided on my next project.......before I have even truly finished this one. I am putting together an initial plan, and really doing the feasibility study portion of it. The first part will be to find a good foundation, so I am keeping my eye open for another 80 Series. My must haves are that it must be a complete rig, rust free, and with a good body(no big dents or damage. Not looking to build a beater. I am not concerned with the motor and tranny, as they will be pulled anyway. That said a good, clean 80 with blown motor would be ideal. I also dont care about paint. I just need a very good base to start from. I am probably crazy for even thinking about another build, but it is one I have had in my head since early on in this one. Let me know if you come across a good 80 that fits the need.

diesel rig?

diesel rig?
There will most likely be soot involved. looking for the 2 donor rigs now. I feel silly saying much about it at this point, but I will share more in the not too distant future.

Hi Jason, I may have a line on something. Pm me your contact info.

I did a thing this past weekend.

IMG_2714.jpg

Dibs on your LS!

I feel it is time for a check in here. I was reflecting back on this build as I teeter on the start of another, and I thought to add up some numbers.

Days since starting the build: 10/6/18 - present = 807 days and counting

Money "invested in Lexi Jo: $2X,XXX and counting

Hours of labor...this is hard to say. To average out the months I spent every spare moment on it with the months I couldn't be bothered to touch it, lets say ~30 a month. 26 months x 30hrs = 780 labor hours.

Lessons learned: Too many to count, but enough that I am looking ahead to the next build and all the details I will do differently.

Tools added to the collection: TIG welder, brake press, shear, sheet roller, riv-nut setter, certi-flat weld table, Evolution metal chop saw(amazing!), Dewalt porta-band, gobs of hand tools, new jacks and stands, taps, dies, some end mills, table saw, compound sliding miter saw, clamps(oh so many clamps), endless abrasive wheels, and so on...

Miles of enjoyment after the swap: 4800 so far

Regrets on doing the swap: See the lessons statement above.

Hours of help from friends, mudders, and random folks: A lot. @D_Web on wiring, @RockJock82 for general direction and a few big knowledge dumps, the folks on this thread for filling in gaps I had along the way, Brandon Harrop at Avid Offroad for being willing to build the bumper I wanted and no one would consider. Many others who I failed to credit here.

Must haves for the next build: MORE SHOP SPACE AND A LIFT!!!

Biggest challenge in an 80 Series LS Swap: Heat. So much damn heat under the hood. Fuel boiling, vapor locking amounts of heat. Ron Davis solved the engine cooling, but it took swiss cheesing the hood to clear it from there. By the way...anyone got an 80 Series hood to sell?

What is left on Lexi Jo: Relocate the fuel filter/regulator from the engine bay to the frame rail. Finish the electrics(most hated part of any job). This includes oil pressure and engine temp gauges, and the integration of the Rostra cruise control into the factory stalk on the wheel.

Many more thought to come, and also a new build thread to be started soon. I plan to document it a bit more closely than I did this one. I have also partnered up with a few good players that will help to yield a dream touring rig. Stay tuned.

Jason

Last edited:
While I have lacked the motivation as of late to get the last 5% of the LS build complete, I did go on a vehicle buying spree for a bit. I picked up the donor Ram 2500 shown above, and the 1996 80 series shown here. Meet Rufus. Rufus came from San Dimas, CA (name the reference if you get it). Rufus was a one owner(with a quick flip between them and me). He has done 334,000 miles and has dealer records for the maintenance along the way. Blew me away that it was so well taken care of. He has been in CA all his life and has some expected wear and tear. The amazing thing is the paint. You can tell it is getting thin on the edges from buffing, but is in great shape. He is bone stock and also has the K294 option. The good one. I had never driven a stock 80 before, and I gotta say it is pretty zippy. The oil pump leaks like a stuck pig, and the AC system has a leak, so he wont be much for the AZ summers, but I plan to go body off with this build so new AC bits are being budgeted.

I had planned to start this build in my "new" place built on 2 acres in Picture Rocks, but the land purchase fell through and construction materials shot through the roof. So, here I reside in the same house that I said I would never undertake another full scale build in contemplating when I will start. I have been amassing an alarming pile of parts for the build, and will have to start on the donor tear down at some point. The rough plan is to pull the 12 valve and NV4500 from the Ram, and get that end done first. The Cummins will get the 425hp/750lbft treatment along with all new guts and fueling. The NV4500 will get a refresh, 5th gear fix, and swapped output shaft to mate to the HF2A Tcase. Rufus will stay AWD to better handle the torque of the Cummins, and the t-case will get 3:1 low range gears and 10% overdrive high range gears. Diffs will stay at 4.10, but the axles will get a full refresh and locker rebuild. Meats will be 315s on stock wheels, and lift will be 2.5" Heavy front, 2.5 medium rear with airbag assist, and the body will elevate 1" to aid in clearing all the new bit underneath. NW Adventure Vehicles will be supporting me along the way with Q&A and parts(not sponsored, still a paying customer). New console will be the Delta system in the LHD Manual config, and all the other bits will be sourced from Toyota as much as I can possibly find. TJM light weight front bumper and Avid Off-road Dual Swing rear. The Rhino Rack, 270 awning, and accessories will transfer from Lexi Jo to Rufus, and the drawer/cargo area is yet to be determined. In all, my goal is to build the most bush-proof touring rig I can based on my experience in Australia last year. A new thread will be started in tandem with the start of the donor teardown. Stay tuned.

Jason

IMG_3416.jpg

Last edited:
Jason, congratulations on Rufus! He appears to be a fantastic example of a stock 80 and will serve as an excellent platform for your touring build. Very excited to see this unfold.

While I have lacked the motivation as of late to get the last 5% of the LS build complete, I did go on a vehicle buying spree for a bit. I picked up the donor Ram 2500 shown above, and the 1996 80 series shown here. Meet Rufus. Rufus came from San Dimas, CA (name the reference if you get it). Rufus was a one owner(with a quick flip between them and me). He has done 334,000 miles and has dealer records for the maintenance along the way. Blew me away that it was so well taken care of. He has been in CA all his life and has some expected wear and tear. The amazing thing is the paint. You can tell it is getting thin on the edges from buffing, but is in great shape. He is bone stock and also has the K294 option. The good one. I had never driven a stock 80 before, and I gotta say it is pretty zippy. The oil pump leaks like a stuck pig, and the AC system has a leak, so he wont be much for the AZ summers, but I plan to go body off with this build so new AC bits are being budgeted.

I had planned to start this build in my "new" place built on 2 acres in Picture Rocks, but the land purchase fell through and construction materials shot through the roof. So, here I reside in the same house that I said I would never undertake another full scale build in contemplating when I will start. I have been amassing an alarming pile of parts for the build, and will have to start on the donor tear down at some point. The rough plan is to pull the 12 valve and NV4500 from the Ram, and get that end done first. The Cummins will get the 425hp/750lbft treatment along with all new guts and fueling. The NV4500 will get a refresh, 5th gear fix, and swapped output shaft to mate to the HF2A Tcase. Rufus will stay AWD to better handle the torque of the Cummins, and the t-case will get 3:1 low range gears and 10% overdrive high range gears. Diffs will stay at 4.10, but the axles will get a full refresh and locker rebuild. Meats will be 315s on stock wheels, and lift will be 2.5" Heavy front, 2.5 medium rear with airbag assist, and the body will elevate 1" to aid in clearing all the new bit underneath. NW Adventure Vehicles will be supporting me along the way with Q&A and parts(not sponsored, still a paying customer). New console will be the Delta system in the LHD Manual config, and all the other bits will be sourced from Toyota as much as I can possibly find. TJM light weight front bumper and Avid Off-road Dual Swing rear. The Rhino Rack, 270 awning, and accessories will transfer from Lexi Jo to Rufus, and the drawer/cargo area is yet to be determined. In all, my goal is to build the most bush-proof touring rig I can based on my experience in Australia last year. A new thread will be started in tandem with the start of the donor teardown. Stay tuned.

Jason

View attachment 2659166

George Carlin aka Rufus in Bill and Teds from San Dimas, Ca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom