Another Heater Help Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
Okay. I feel like a complete duffas. I installed a rear heater using OEM "Y" fittings, but it doesn't seem that water is flowing to the rear heater. The hoses are not even warm to the touch. I have tried bleeding the system. with the funnel do-hickey. The font heater is working. Is it possible that the hoses to the two rear ports need to be reversed? Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Is there possibly a shut off valve in the engine bay where the little piece Ts off the coolant lines? I've heard of, and seen, some people put a manual shut off valve near there to purposely shut that off. Just a thought, but I would imagine you would have seen something like that already.

I would check for shut off valve. The front heater can still get hot with that closed just from the hot coolant back heating the other line.
Next up would be make sure there’s no air bubble or pinched hose to heater. I fill up then squeeze the radiator hose to push bubbles out. I even squeeze the heater hoses going to the rear heater sometimes. Parking nose up on ramps can help too.

Possible could be air locked. Might try pitching one of the rubber hoses feeding the front heater while the engine is running. Simple thing to do without draining any coolant or tearing anything apart.

Possible could be air locked. Might try pitching one of the rubber hoses feeding the front heater while the engine is running. Simple thing to do without draining any coolant or tearing anything apart.
Thanks. I will give that a try in the morning. Is there a preferred method of pinching the hose without damaging the integrity. Would a small C clamp work? I was thinking vice grips may damage the rubber?

Thanks. I will give that a try in the morning. Is there a preferred method of pinching the hose without damaging the integrity. Would a small C clamp work? I was thinking vice grips may damage the rubber?

For what your trying to do just pressure between a thumb and finger may work. Would do it for at least a minute. Doing it when the engine is cold won't have to worry hose being too hot. All your trying to do is make the rear heater coil the path of least resistance, which may or may not work. You don't have a 81+ with the heater in the center console? Those have a separate valve.

Burp it...

30D957C6-CB24-47B3-8DF2-CAAE89DFC1B1.jpeg

Got it. Re-burped the system, but this time for much longer. Also, followed Living in the Past's suggestion and clamped off the supply to the front heater. End result, good water flow to and from rear heater.
Many thanks.
:bounce::bounce::bounce:🍺👈

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom