Power Steering Gear Box 105 Series Sector Shaft/Pitman Arm Upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gah!!! I had been meaning to take a look at mine and this thread motivated me to go look. With out removing the Pitman arm it looks like my sector shaft is twisted as well :bang:

I'm going to pop the pitman arm off in the next few weeks and see if they are in fact twisted, not looking good so far though. :doh:

Gah!!! I had been meaning to take a look at mine and this thread motivated me to go look. With out removing the Pitman arm it looks like my sector shaft is twisted as well :bang:

I'm going to pop the pitman arm off in the next few weeks and see if they are in fact twisted, not looking good so far though. :doh:

The sector shaft twists between the pitman arm and steering box. So there's no need to take the pitman arm off, it doesn't (can't really) twist where the arm is attached.

You could post a pic if you want confirmation, but if it looks twisted, it likely is.

The sector shaft twists between the pitman arm and steering box. So there's no need to take the pitman arm off, it doesn't (can't really) twist where the arm is attached.

You could post a pic if you want confirmation, but if it looks twisted, it likely is.

Yeah I know......It looks twisted a bit, the splines are not going straight down from what I can see. Need to get the Pitman off to make sure (easier to tell if there is a twist).

I am a little curious about the rebuild of the gear box. Does anyone know is West Texas replaces any of the ball or needle bearings and balls on the worm shaft etc... when they do a rebuild. Maybe it is not needed but seems that if the balls were worn or the groove in the shaft that it could cause play or binding? I have a spare gear box that I plan to rebuild in the near future to replace the one on my rig which seems to be binding. I am assuming at this point it is the gear box anyway.

I just had my steering box rebuilt by West Texas Offroad and had a good experience. I had a leaking input shaft seal. I pulled the box and sent it to them. They had it rebuilt in 6 business days. I asked them to call me if anything was out of spec besides the seals as I wanted it made right. The box was good. The whole job is pretty simple but separating the yoke is a huge PITA. It was a much cheaper option that getting a reman box from an auto parts store and turning in a core. Also, I could not find a lot of feedback the quality the A-1 Cardone remans.

I have been going through my rig and noticed a leaky ps gear box. I've been reading through all the threads and have a few questions. I'm in a bit of a bind as I'm due to move across the country in less than 2 weeks. Can I get by with a leaking gear box until I have some time to rebuild it? i do have some camping and light wheeling planned during our cross country trip. I have some slop in the steering, but no noticeable noise? Any recommendations? Thanks.

I have been going through my rig and noticed a leaky ps gear box. I've been reading through all the threads and have a few questions. I'm in a bit of a bind as I'm due to move across the country in less than 2 weeks. Can I get by with a leaking gear box until I have some time to rebuild it? i do have some camping and light wheeling planned during our cross country trip. I have some slop in the steering, but no noticeable noise? Any recommendations? Thanks.

You will be fine. Keep the reservoir topped off and drive away.

Safe travels.

:cheers:

Digging up an old thread here...

A. I'm wondering if the WTO rebuild, along with a new sector shaft would eliminate any PS box slop if present?

B. In reading about variable pressure steering systems, I'm wondering if steering feel at neutral/center would be better if the pressure control valve werex modified to allow flow sooner or at a higher rate, or eliminated completely somehow? Anyone have enough knowledge to offer feedback about these effects?

Two-hammers method is what worked for me when I replaced the original steering box with a fully re-co'd one a couple of years ago. I broke every commercial pittman arm puller tool I found in auto-parts stores. ;)

Supposedly later 105 series boxes and pittman arms are the way to go for actually upgrading to a much stronger steering gear setup.

The 105 sector shaft is the same nominal diameter and fits in an 80 box. The splined section where the pitman arm fits is 2mm greater in diameter (32 vs 30mm).

I tried once to remove the pitman arm with no luck.

So if you go with a 105 series box and pitman arm, it will hook up to the rest of the steering with no mods?

Or, you can get a new 105 series pitman arm and install it on a rebuilt 80 series box with no mods?

If you find a rebuilt 105 series box, would you lose your core charge if you returned the 80 series box?

If I every replace the steering box, is there a way to remove the box with the pitman arm still on it and just send the pitman arm with the steering box for a core charge? Been years since I have looked at the steering box.

Kurt- I think you are confused on the concept here,

The 105 sector shaft is a direct replacement for the 80 series sector shaft and can be used to rebuild the 80 series box. Because the splined of the 105 shaft section is larger, it requires the corresponding Pittman arm, which has the appropriate sized splined section.

So it you want to do this upgrade, you need the existing 80 series box, a rebuild/seal/oring kit, a 105 series sector shaft and a 105 series Pittman, which then do in fact bolt up to the 80 series drag link end.

If you want some sticker shock, price a new box from Mr T. I think it's in the $2500 range if it's even available.

I get it now.

Can the box be removed with the pitman arm still on it? Is that easier to do then trying to remove the stuck pitman arm from box while still on frame?

Anybody know if these West Texas Guys are still servicing these steering boxes and if so, how to contact them.

Thanks.

Anybody know if these West Texas Guys are still servicing these steering boxes and if so, how to contact them.

Thanks.
Here is here website wtor
Here is their facebook page. If you send them a message they usually respond pretty quick. West Texas 4 Wheel & Offroad

I recently got my steering box rebuilt by them.. like last week.. It was due to be delivered on Wednesday and I got a call from them later in the afternoon to get my payment info so they should ship it back out... Super quick turn around time. They assured me that the box I sent them is the one they rebuilt.

Here is here website wtor
Here is their facebook page. If you send them a message they usually respond pretty quick. West Texas 4 Wheel & Offroad

I recently got my steering box rebuilt by them.. like last week.. It was due to be delivered on Wednesday and I got a call from them later in the afternoon to get my payment info so they should ship it back out... Super quick turn around time. They assured me that the box I sent them is the one they rebuilt.

Thanks Pal.

Looks like I'm in the market for this upgrade. Wife was pulling out of a parking spot night before last and 'heard a pop' and lost steering control.

P1050180.JPG

Curious to know if this component was ever in a recall or service bulletin? We're pretty lucky this didn't happen at highway speeds on a corner.
P1050179.JPG

No bulletins or campaigns. In fact the "upgrade" is unoffical. A sanctioned repair would use original parts.

The rust pattern indicates it has been working at it for some time.

No bulletins or campaigns. In fact the "upgrade" is unoffical. A sanctioned repair would use original parts.

Good to know, just a 'coincident' that they designed a beefier part that's backwards compatible.

The rust pattern indicates it has been working at it for some time.

Yes, the rust indicates it's been cracked a while. Not sure why/how it cracked in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom