80 series landcruiser steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 Toyota landcruiser that is in need of a new or good condition redhead steering box. Redhead is currently out of stock. So just reaching out to see where the best place is to buy a new or used one. I am always willing to buy one off of someone if they are willing to sell.

You have to have a Redhead? @slow95z has OEM parts.

Just send them yours ?

Are you basing they are out of stock because it says so on their site?

Are you trying to avoid downtime of your 80 due to it possibly being your DD?

Brand new OEM from Partsouq.com is $1975 before shipping, shipping roughly $160.00.

P/N: 4411060212

Red Head quoted me a lot less even with their updated prices.

If you can afford to take the 80 off the road reach out to them about rebuilding your steering box. Per an email I have the turnaround time is 7-10 days.

I don't know where you're located, but there is a used one on the Portland Craigslist for $200. I thought it was a but steep, but seeing those prices, maybe it's worth it.

Are you basing they are out of stock because it says so on their site?

Are you trying to avoid downtime of your 80 due to it possibly being your DD?

Brand new OEM from Partsouq.com is $1975 before shipping, shipping roughly $160.00.

P/N: 4411060212

Red Head quoted me a lot less even with their updated prices.

If you can afford to take the 80 off the road reach out to them about rebuilding your steering box. Per an email I have the turnaround time is 7-10 days.
It’s about to be my DD so I need it on the road really soon

The box can be redone DIY for about the same price. Tho it does require one to DI-themselves.
The last Redhead box I saw on a rig had crazy leaks. But dude was on 40's, with assist as well so...:meh:

FWIW, were one to endeavor to DIY a box, these are the parts required:
1 - 04445-60050 - Steering box reseal kit
1 - 44154-30020 - Power piston plunger guide nut
1 - 18-32-7-DL - Input shaft seal (not Toyota, may or may not come in the reseal kit above. The OEM kit I snagged did not include it)
1 - 44120-60180 - VALVE ASSY, W/BALL NUT - This is main contributor to worn box behavior. Replacing this part also avoids your playing with balls. lol

The last Redhead box I saw on a rig had crazy leaks. But dude was on 40's, with assist as well so...:meh:
Tire size and assist have nothing to do with leaks !!
200$ is a deal for a steering box, I payed 350$ for my spare :rolleyes:

The last Redhead box I saw on a rig had crazy leaks.
Same. And his was just about brand new and the adjustment screw seemed to be installed upside down. I know things happen when you're doing a lot of these, but that made me decide to do mine myself

I did a Redhead install last April the box was perfect🤷‍♂️
There’s also West Texas, Off Road
Home of the redneck ram they rebuilt and ported my steering box hasn’t leaked a drop or giving me an issue in five years.

Last edited:
Tire size and assist have nothing to do with leaks !!
Agree, in part.
Just relaying what I saw.
There's always the poor install or one bad unit.

I did a Redhead install last April the box was perfect
🤷‍♂️

There’s also West Texas, Off Road
Home of the redneck ram they rebuilt and ported my steering box hasn’t leaked a drop or giving me an issue in five years.
Dam that's big. (that's what she said lol)
I don't doubt your experience.
Also agree WTO is a respected outfit. Have no experience with their products tho.

Last edited:
Same. And his was just about brand new and the adjustment screw seemed to be installed upside down. I know things happen when you're doing a lot of these, but that made me decide to do mine myself
Ok, 2 bad units.
lol
Yeah, even tho the cost is little higher you get the added knowledge of the workings of a critical part of your rig.
Worth it all day long in the long run, ime.

Last edited:
I'm still prepping to rebuild mine, leaking plenty but I just keep topping up the fluid :lol:. I've got a spare to rebuild and most of the bits and bobs, but need to save up my pennies for the valve assembly. Going to mess around with the original and see how good I can get it, but I'm still going to swap in a new one while they're available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom