Am I ridiculous for preferring a Land Cruiser over a LX470? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those who think the Lexus is pompous, well, it ain't. The youngest 100 series is a decade old, and for people that aren't us, it's just an old-ass truck. Far from pompous.

View attachment 1561812

Try telling that to the Canadians who visit me and keep making jokes about me being a "trust fund baby" because they think I bought a brand new $85,000 truck because it wasn't here on their last visit. I drive a 2004 LX with 250,000 miles on it.

Try telling that to the Canadians who visit me and keep making jokes about me being a "trust fund baby" because they think I bought a brand new $85,000 truck because it wasn't here on their last visit. I drive a 2004 LX with 250,000 miles on it.

Maybe its the 'Grey Poupon' in the cup holder? ;)

I bought an LX because I couldn't find a straight up Land Cruiser anywhere near the condition of the LX's I was seeing and the Land Cruisers were listed for more money. Lots of LX470's for me to look at...so common sense prevailed and I bought a rust free, well serviced, female owned LX for thousands less than the L/C's I was able to find over an 8 month period. My Wife love's it...though to be honest... she has taken some kidding from some of Her co-workers.

This thread is funny. It seems like almost everyone that owns an LX went through the same experience including myself. I wanted a Landcruiser. I looked at a couple of well used ones for more money than i found my dealer serviced mom owned LX. I own a LS430 so i was familiar with the legendary platform of these particular vehicles.

IMG_1359.JPG

I grew up with a father who sold Toyota. I drove Tacos and 4Runners. It was always going to be about a branded Land Cruiser. You can relatively cheaply add sound deadening and upgrade a stereo.

Plus the wife always snickered at the LX listings ... something about women drive Lexus lol (not my words just passed along ;))

Same here. My S.O. wouldn't even consider it unless it said Land Cruiser on it's wide rear. She felt the LX was too frilly, too pretentious, even though her daily is an ES. I'm far too old to argue her logic, I just went and found the Cruiser she wanted so I can pretend it's all about her wants.

Canadians see LX470 daily with the soccer moms, they're everywhere, so I find that comment hard to believe. If you want looks, roll around in a Land Cruiser 100 in Canada, that's a rare bird, and definitely worth far more in both status and resale value.

Last edited:
Maybe its the 'Grey Poupon' in the cup holder? ;)

Here we go again.... The only thing Grey Poupon has to do with Canada is the American version has Canada's grown brown mustard seed in it, and that's not even true Grey Poupon, you guys just tried it and fell in love!

"Grey Poupon Dijon and wholegrain mustard are still produced in France for the European and Canadian markets. Production of Grey Poupon for the American market will move to Holland, Michigan from Pennsylvania, following Kraft Heinz's expansion of its 120-year-old Holland production facility."

Last edited:
I have a lc, but prefer the front end of the lx. However i love the bullbar options on the lc though and i didnt buy my truck to keep it bone stock. Im also not a fan of more technology.

Shoot, I like both the LC and the LX .... especially the 1998-2006 varieties.

Here we go again.... The only thing Grey Poupon has to do with Canada is the American version has Canada's grown brown mustard seed in it, and that's not even true Grey Poupon, you guys just tried it and fell in love!

"Grey Poupon Dijon and wholegrain mustard are still produced in France for the European and Canadian markets. Production of Grey Poupon for the American market will move to Holland, Michigan from Pennsylvania, following Kraft Heinz's expansion of its 120-year-old Holland production facility."

I don't think I mentioned Canada. The tongue-in-cheek remark was in reference to the rather pretentious commercials of yesteryear. Never mind. ;)

Lexus owners are often thought of (unfairly) this way.

I do remember reading of a study that showed consumers of Grey Poupon had a propensity to be 'sensitive'. Something about the ingredients... that trigger that, IIRC. :)

Last edited:
If a "genuine" Land Cruiser is what you want, but can only find an LX (because a jillion were sole), why not convert the LX to an LC. It's cosmetic anyway, right? Can't you get a hood, grill and headlights and swap them out. Then get the LC badging and you're done.

If I had been on a tighter budget, I would have had an LX470 instead of a LC. Honestly, if the LX470 came in a non metallic white, I would probably have an LX470. I don't like the front clip on the LX470 as much on the 100 series and I like there is less moulding on the LC. On the early 200 series, I am indifferent as far as looks go. There is definitely a perception difference between the Toyota and the Lexus. I have dealt with driving a Lexus before. Some people choose to make assumptions they wouldn't otherwise. It would have been fun showing them what that Lexus could do off road!

Same thing for Dubonnet, it's made in France for the entire world but made in Kentucky for the US market. Yup, if you buy your Dubonnet in the US you're not getting the real thing. I haven't even been able to find an importer for it. In most cases these instances are because the US market values and demands low cost above almost everything else (thanks Walmart) or in others cases because of high import taxes so its cheaper for makers to produce domestically. Heck the US VW Passat even had cheaper bulbs, trunk hinges and other things after it was "de-contented" to allow for more profit. Most don't care if they are saving a buck but I think its clear that LC/LX owners value craftsmanship and engineering so we would rather pay a bit more for a superior product.

I looked hard at both the LC and LX when I was in the market. At the end of the day, both the wife and I agreed we wanted a LC. My wife preferred the look of the LC. For me, it's was mostly mechanical I wanted nothing to do with AHC and the extra bells and whistles of the LX. I was after something simple, utilitarian and reliable. Another factor for me was that I spent a lot of time as a kid running around with my grandfather in his old FJ60. I wanted the modern(ish) equivalent for me and my kids.

In the end and after lots of looking and phone calls, my wife found us a 2001 LC that was just what we wanted. No nav, no DVD, no fancy wood grain and it was rust free with a nice interior.

Well...If you're going to remove the AHC anyway, just wait until you find a LC. I actually prefer the LC to the LX.

The upside to the LX are the glass lenses that always look good and don't dull.

x2. The AHC is perfect for us since my wife took over the LX after we bought it. She is short and we can just lift it when needed. I really like the AHC, but we are not wheeling every weekend either...

I grew up with a father who sold Toyota. I drove Tacos and 4Runners. It was always going to be about a branded Land Cruiser. You can relatively cheaply add sound deadening and upgrade a stereo.

Plus the wife always snickered at the LX listings ... something about women drive Lexus lol (not my words just passed along ;))
"Cheaply" add sound deadening? Have you priced out an LX windshield, recently?

"Cheaply" add sound deadening? Have you priced out an LX windshield, recently?

Fair point - That’s the last thing I would have done (likely a solid Db reducer). LX door seals, dynamat were my ideas. It still doesn’t change my choice:)

Reactions: BEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom