Am I ridiculous for preferring a Land Cruiser over a LX470? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know they are essentially the same mechanically.

I will remove AHC regardless most likely.

I really prefer the front end look of the LC. Especially the 98-02’s.

2002_toyota_land-cruiser_4dr-suv_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

s-44267--lexus-lx4750-b.jpg

The biggest thing for me are the lights. Really don’t like the double housing look of the Lexus.

I also don’t dig the side molding on the LX.

Interior wise I’m not crazy about the wood trim. I prefer the normal gray/silver trim.

Finally, the LC looks less pretentious. This isn’t a knock in any way towards LX owner’s....I just prefer the ‘yuppie’ look as stupid as that sounds.

My fear is I will run across an incredible clean LX470 and be faced with a decision. I’ve bought cars in the past where there was this immediate ‘what if’ or ‘i Wish’ feeling.

Does anyone have any any experience rebadging and reworking the front end to look like a LC?

I will say I plan on adding an ARB front bumper. Will hide the front end a lot.

Can you take the side and read moldings off?

Anyone else ever been in this boat before?

Exterior looks aside, there is no arguing that the interior of the LX, especially the 03+ is WAY nicer. From the real leather stitched door cards and real wood trim, to the much better leather seats and upholstery, better sound system, more sound deadening, there is just no comparison.

For me personally, I don't really care too much about looks or how nice the interior is as long as its a clean body, not wrecked/repaired vehicle with no rust and service history. That's all I really care about.

Throw a teq badge on the front from @bhicks and you won't know it's a Lexus......

Well...If you're going to remove the AHC anyway, just wait until you find a LC. I actually prefer the LC to the LX.

The upside to the LX are the glass lenses that always look good and don't dull.

I think 98-05 LCs have glass lenses, 06-07 had plastic.
Yeah my 03 has glass lenses, when they made the move from the two piece to the 1 pieces they changed them over to plastic, glass vs plastic is the reason I haven't changed mine over to the 06-07 headlights

Yeah my 03 has glass lenses, when they made the move from the two piece to the 1 pieces they changed them over to plastic, glass vs plastic is the reason I haven't changed mine over to the 06-07 headlights

What's wrong with plastic?

Just install the XPEL PPF kit over them and they will never chip or yellow.

I am spoiled since I work at a detail shop and we pay for the XPEL software so I can plot all these kits for pennies. But even if you purchase it, it's well worth the investment.

I have had both. When my beloved 01 LC was totaled recently (3 months before a scheduled Maze trip), I adamantly did not want the LX due to the AHC.
Well, running out of time and limited choices, opened it up to LX and am glad I did! (For one thing, starting in like 05/06 a bunch of LC have the AHC anyway).
The LX is better than the LC, and I did not think that could be possible. Definitely quieter on the highway, and AHC in good condition is amazing: I get to have my lift off-road and get grandma in, too!
I too prefer the rugged good looks of the LC (“hey, ‘sup, I’m a land cruiser, hold my beer while I walk up this rock ledge”) vs the effeminate LX, (“hiiii, so yeah, I’m a Lexus, don’t want my occupants to spill the grey poupon while we walk up this rock ledge”).

Wood trim interior is good for the people who lives in a desert like west TX.
LX has more things to worry than a LC.

I searched high and low for a LC that fit my needs. After two scams and several hundred miles of driving I found a LX miles from my house that was too good to pass. Would have preferred the LC but very happy with my LX

Exactly what happened to me. Was in the market for a straight up Land Cruiser, but found that LX470's were MUCH more available, fewer miles, less money, better service history. Had to go with the LX.

I prefer the simple uncluttered look of the front end on the L/C, but the LX version grows on you after time (or at least I find it tolerable).

When I bought my 200 series I purposely bought a LC because I did not want my office to think they were paying me to much. I told some of them it is a long wheelbase highlander! They believed me and said that is one of the nicest ones they have seen...

I drive the LX470 most days and they all think it is fairly new and give me a hard time for owning a Lexus.

When I first drove it to work they thought it was a new car, amazing on the timeless style.

IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG
the two ladies...

I was looking for an LC and bought an LX470. Good think is the AHC wasn't working and the dealer took the $3,000 off of the price to have it replaced. From what I hear the LX470s are quieter, and except for the AHC (which I didn't want) and the wood trim the vehicles are pretty much the same. I'd look for a low mileage 99 LC with the rear locker if you have the time to search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom