Am I ridiculous for preferring a Land Cruiser over a LX470? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

US Sales numbers by year. The Sequoia took a bite out of LC and LX sales in 2001.

View attachment 3000327
Interesting that LC used to beat LX sales, after sequoia came to market the LX beat LC every year. I guess the LC in the US lost its mass appeal after 2000.

Interesting that LC used to beat LX sales, after sequoia came to market the LX beat LC every year. I guess the LC in the US lost its mass appeal after 2000.

Makes sense actually. The LX was always the "luxury" version. The 100 Series was the biggest SUV Toyota offered until the Sequoia. So if someone wanted a "3-row" big SUV from Toyota, the LC was the only choice. Once the Sequoia became available and was a little longer (more leg room), cost less (MUCH less), it was always going to take a bite out of LC sales. The LX was, and still is, it's "own thing." It caters to luxury SUV buyers who either are a Lexus customer or a customer looking for a "luxury" SUV with some off-road credentials. Honestly, with the pricepoints being fairly close for quite some time, why wouldn't someone spring for the "nicer" LX option? If you're spending $90k on a vehicle, what's another $6k to get all the bells and whistles?

I waited and passed over many LX's to get our LC. I have owned 40+ vehicles and learned long ago that I may as well hold out for exactly what I want or they will be sold quickly. I just dont like the LX front and Lexus trim/cladding. Before this we were looking for a 200 series and I couldnt find anything. Ended up setteling on a GX460.....I did a bunch to that truck but it never grew on me. The Lexus front end is just hideous. Had I held out for the 200 series I wanted I would probably still have it and have not had to sell a GX and search for a 100.

I waited and passed over many LX's to get our LC. I have owned 40+ vehicles and learned long ago that I may as well hold out for exactly what I want or they will be sold quickly. I just dont like the LX front and Lexus trim/cladding. Before this we were looking for a 200 series and I couldnt find anything. Ended up setteling on a GX460.....I did a bunch to that truck but it never grew on me. The Lexus front end is just hideous. Had I held out for the 200 series I wanted I would probably still have it and have not had to sell a GX and search for a 100.
Patience Grasshopper...:popcorn:

Having owned both a 2001 LX and (currently) a 2004 LC, I don’t feel that much of a difference in quality of interiors. For me the bigger difference was the suspension over the road. While I feel the AHC is more comfortable on the highway, I just prefer “regular” suspension reactions to braking and turning.
Personally don’t think the LX is different enough to seek one out, but I wouldn’t dismantle the AHC unles it fails either. Both are great vehicles. As was said in original post, just get the best condition 100 you come across. Either will be a great vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom