Am I ridiculous for preferring a Land Cruiser over a LX470? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To answer your thread title, I say absolutely not. When I first starting searching for a Hundy my wife had no idea Lexus also made a version that was nearly identical. I told her I was going to test drive a Lexus LX470, she didn't like the idea of the image it portrayed. We are solid middle class and she didn't want to send signs of being uppity. Myself, I don't care because I now it is basically the same truck.

Bringing myself to last night, I realized I really like the lower key Toyota over the Lexus. I didn't realize it before it was too late, but coming back from a gymnastics competition in Belleville Illinois that my oldest son competed in, my phone took my through East St. Louis. I mean, East St. Louis proper. One of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. Having a Lexus badge would have made me a bigger target.

There are twice as many LX for sale vs LC locally for me. They're usually cheaper than the same age/mileage LC as well. I like the exterior of the LC more but i love the interior of the LX.

There are twice as many LX for sale vs LC locally for me. They're usually cheaper than the same age/mileage LC as well. I like the exterior of the LC more but i love the interior of the LX.

My thoughts exactly.

Those LX service records can be amazing if it was a wealthy woman's mall cruiser. LC front end is more attractive in my opinion, but the LX interior and overall feel is just nice. Easy ways to make an LX look a bit more tough, as many on the forum have done.

If push came to shove I'd get whatever, but my preference is an actual LC. I don't care for the front of the 470.

I don't understand the question...
36735.jpg

YES :flipoff2:

(edit) - did a double-take on the picture above... oh that's good!!

Owned both LX wins hands down with looks and performance

AHC is a true winner for our family with poser mode it looks great and with the flick of a couple buttons you get handling and a ride like no LC will never have at any speed.:D

Ours is a purpose built travel/tow car that on the road is super quiet, smooth, and super easy to drive.

The best part is our LX is 100% wife approved and still looks cool.

What is that...its a Lexus...really....we love it!

T_8O8Su7Ij3PfZGCXjd-wbbEBo5MqO3MYrB2U2gSwq6s_KjK9IVHeroB3pIyela0zuynxbRLlAHvS3NZzLBPBCixln9v4YTkB7p_vop2zXdiFTPq4aqbGZB9jzxOhwbVmu3S27GpyoOSVC_NC0GL4Yd7PR6dYEtBYm9MTdrFfeNJcEKM1X4V7lpUXn6v9afIfGaP777Wi62ohAIpu2cgjy0YbrUq4mTo9XF56TodQlrqdF_4pNt7ObHSUzUN4vTOOmqwSyqD9G3BWbY2iorztXsbxrMeGqoHFIDqM9g_8gbjqVnd-4AihW6q6VvfdjwffIz0tUH-qGzVxcaqa1oiPNpE8oH9aEHVCQ0AfWpJj0TAQRXCBLUX2C_3WSq8mElDCXomHC_gX5ttdu-djETMXbhtxfQOXcmqIhfDD1zXqrPdJqo-b4NXiu3flYGx3kQa2Y6XVzt-zpP0Yl_pphUtjiAn5Lv7MGbyYxug74-mGxaSyy8GE1MuPFGdRb2TtAn-vbb9M-bG26Fob8QJIXDz4wTmMmNNsS2J-R2DKuQkGG2PanB1iJPdsRAzoC0y8PYjykSJ6I1l1RoupPwYtCBWGjJLvaf3k2h7k_Ylu9KSTto=w1332-h888-no

LX's should not be overlooked. They are a LandCruiser, but have several advantages:

1) they were typically mall-cruisers so very little offroad abuse
2) Lexus owners tend to take their vehicles to Lexus for all scheduled maintenance
3) abundantly available in most markets
4) typically $2-3k less than comparable LCs
5) AHC.....this is a bit loaded. If it works and is in good condition, it is incredible....and easy to maintain. Love the ability to go low to enter my garage and go HIGH when on the trails. LOVE the ability to adjust the responsiveness of the suspension from Caddy-like float to stiff and sporty. If it's bad, well, then you're replacing it. But, the $2-3k you saved up front buys you a HIGH quality conventional suspension AND leaves money left over for sliders or a front bumper.
6) Electric fold-in mirrors. Don't discount this. On the trails it's great to be able to push a button and fold both mirrors in.
7) Auto-dimming mirrors
8) Auto-climate contol
9) LED gauges in dash
10) More sound insulation so much quieter on the highway
11) The disbelief you get from the public that the rig is a Lexus. Even better when you're off-road doing rough trails and guys on ATVs and Heeps are completely surprised that you're leading the way up trails in a Lexus. Something just so satisfying with that.

I looked for an LC for a long time before realizing I could come out much further ahead if I considered LXs.

For anyone who thinks LXs can't look tough, well.......

IMG_0073.JPG

Last edited:
I like the Lexus' coming from a GX, but the interior is a little much for me with the wood grain, I prefer the toned down look of my LC.

The beauty of either the "wood" in the LC or the WOOD in the LX is that they are both easily removable with a heat gun. Then, you either leave the matte black plastic or, wrap the trim in something like carbon fiber vinyl wrap (if you're into that sort of thing) and reapply.

I like the Lexus' coming from a GX, but the interior is a little much for me with the wood grain, I prefer the toned down look of my LC.

My 06 LX does not have wood grain on the dash only the wheel and shifter:meh:

I've got a 2000 LX and had my search opened to both. Hard to find that perfect combination. I got mine in a unique situation where I paid less than 10K for a rig with only 130k miles and in great shape. My opinion? I like the wood grain and don't mind the front. Of course you don't pay much attention to the lights on mine with all I have up front. It is quieter on the highway - and even quieter with all the additional sound deadening I've added.

Mechanically they are essentially the same (I ripped out the AHC in mine for an OME/Icon lift) so don't limit your options.

IMG_0091.JPG

The beauty of either the "wood" in the LC or the WOOD in the LX is that they are both easily removable with a heat gun. Then, you either leave the matte black plastic or, wrap the trim in something like carbon fiber vinyl wrap (if you're into that sort of thing) and reapply.
I thought the lc's have Port added trim, ergo easily removed, but Lexus has real wood trim (not what I'd consider easily removed)?

Alex,
I (and my wife) was anti-lexus and only searched for Toyota lc. I was so enamoured with the lc we found, I immediately started shopping for a 100 for me. I went for the least expensive truck I could find, ergo lx470. I couldn't be happier and would include lx's to our original shopping list.

Last edited:
I thought the lc's have Port added trim, ergo easily removed, but Lexus has real wood trim (not what I'd consider easily removed)?

Alex,
I (and my wife) was anti-lexus and only searched for Toyota lc. I was so enamoured with the lc we found, I immediately started shopping for a 100 for me. I went for the least expensive truck I could find, ergo lx470. I couldn't be happier and would include lx's to our original shopping list.

The LC is port installed fake wood. The LX is factory installed real wood laminate. They are both held on by glue and/or double sided tape.

Sure, people always think third world warlords will only use a Land Cruiser to move around their impoverished fiefdom. But, as you can tell by my profile picture, if you want your Technical to be a fine stabilized shooting platform, get the AHC-equipped Lexus. Yup, that is an LX 470 with a machine gun on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom