I bought a 145K 2007 LX470 I’m disappointed and prefer my Ford Expedition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear IH8MUD folks,

I have been a lurker for about a decade and I have learned that you are here because you are passionate, humble, and generous people by nature…..so here is my scenario:

I just bought a 2007 LX470 145K miles, extensive service records, cosmetically great inside and out, clearly garage kept, no modifications, no accidents.

I drive a 2009 Ford Expedition 2WD with 235K miles, pampered and garage kept since I bought it with 11K miles on it.

The LX470 does not ride smoother, nor is it quieter than the Expedition. I hear and feel every concrete expansion joint and pothole (even with the suspension in comfort mode) and I hear squeaks and rattles throughout the cabin in the LX while going down the road and I don’t hear any of that in my Expedition.

The AHC seems to work fine, is visually flawless, and was just flushed/adjusted by the previous owner a few months ago. I have no intention of doing any mods.

For context: I’m not questioning any of the fact based data regarding the durability/longevity of the 100 series, but I can’t really find any forums that discuss the general letdown/disappointment/buyer’s remorse of the often over hyped mythical 8th wonder of the world that is the 100 series LC and LX.

Right now if I had to choose between my Expedition or my LX for my regular suburban family lifestyle I would choose my Expedition.

I am starting to think my expectations were too high and that I bought into too much hype.

Has this been any else’s experience?

I want to be wrong, please help me see that I am missing something.

I have a different experience with my LX. No interior rattles or squeaks even at nearly 260k miles. I am due for lots of rubber suspension components, though.

Re: the ride - just because the fluid was flushed doesn't mean it will ride well. When were globes replaced? How many graduations in the reservoir? Have you personally verified that the pressures are in spec? I take anything a prior owner did with a grain of salt.

Due to age your rig is also due for every rubber component. Miles don't matter, and in a lot of cases lower miles over time are worse for wear.

I have 5k cash and will take your 07 off your hands and you can put that toward gas for your Ford.

Mine is 2000 with 250K miles and it is very quiet. Yes I do hear the noise of tires going over a concrete joints (reminds my days in NYC), other than that, it is very quiet. No rattling or anything of tht nature. Suspension is fantastic and I have driven hours 10-15 hours without any fatigue. The most quiet car I ever owned.

Yes I have the complete suspension done with all OEM parts, but even before that the LC was very quiet. A friend of mine took me to the airport in his F150 King ranch 2010ish and I immediately noticed the road noise and rattling in it. I sometimes talk to friends while driving at 80+ MPH and they ask am I at home, it is that quiet.

What tires are on there and what's the condition? Get some Michelin Defender LTX tires when you replace them.

I've got an 05 with the same miles as you (LC not LX, I don't have AHC). No rattles and rides great. It's so quiet I can pick up on the slightest wind noise on the driver side I suspect I need to replace the driver door weatherstripping.

Dear IH8MUD folks,

I have been a lurker for about a decade and I have learned that you are here because you are passionate, humble, and generous people by nature…..so here is my scenario:

I just bought a 2007 LX470 145K miles, extensive service records, cosmetically great inside and out, clearly garage kept, no modifications, no accidents.

I drive a 2009 Ford Expedition 2WD with 235K miles, pampered and garage kept since I bought it with 11K miles on it.

The LX470 does not ride smoother, nor is it quieter than the Expedition. I hear and feel every concrete expansion joint and pothole (even with the suspension in comfort mode) and I hear squeaks and rattles throughout the cabin in the LX while going down the road and I don’t hear any of that in my Expedition.

The AHC seems to work fine, is visually flawless, and was just flushed/adjusted by the previous owner a few months ago. I have no intention of doing any mods.

For context: I’m not questioning any of the fact based data regarding the durability/longevity of the 100 series, but I can’t really find any forums that discuss the general letdown/disappointment/buyer’s remorse of the often over hyped mythical 8th wonder of the world that is the 100 series LC and LX.

Right now if I had to choose between my Expedition or my LX for my regular suburban family lifestyle I would choose my Expedition.

I am starting to think my expectations were too high and that I bought into too much hype.

Has this been any else’s experience?

I want to be wrong, please help me see that I am missing something.
I also just bought a 2007 LX, own a 2000 LC, and previously owned a 2008 Expedition EL. The Expedition is a fine vehicle, and if you never plan to leave the pavement or drive over 300k miles it’ll be great. I was pretty nervous when my Expedition got to 250k miles that I had an engine or transmission in my near future.

If you’re near my part of TX, IM me and we can get together and check out your AHC and anything else that needs checking. I certainly enjoy my LX much more than the EL, but what you do with it can make all the difference.

Re: the ride - just because the fluid was flushed doesn't mean it will ride well. When were globes replaced? How many graduations in the reservoir? Have you personally verified that the pressures are in spec? I take anything a prior owner did with a grain of salt.

Exactly my thoughts. Especially when it comes to AHC.

Are the tires old? What load range?

If you don't know the age of the globes, they're probably due for replacement. It's a night and day difference between old and new globes as that's the fundamental suspension component in the system. The car will go from so-bad-it's-nearly-undriveable to floating on a cloud if you've got dead globes. Sounds like you might be somewhere in between.

I haven't driven that gen of Expedition, but I'm guessing there's a thing or two that needs to be remedied in your 100 if it feels noticeably worse than the Expedition.

My bet is tires, it could even be the tire pressure. I have a good friend who trusted the dealer to service his vehicle. Every tire had a different pressure, some 30 pounds different. Imagine your handling if one front tire had 60 pounds and one rear had 22 pounds. That was my friends car.

Somethings not right. My 150k 2006LC is silent inside, definitely doesn't ride like an 80's cadillac but zero comparison to an expedition....you couldn't give me one of those things!

Main question to me: what‘s the intend or the LC?
I got an Audi, a Ford E350 lifted & tires &… and then the LC.
Three completely different vehicle.

And based what I read in this forum I think most of the people want to leave the road. And that‘s where the LC is strong.

Rattles… only one I habe is the 3rd tow when folded up.
Check where yours are coming from and perhaps it‘s easy to solve.
You don‘t want to hear the van… 😂

And if your tires are old and hard or too high pressure: yep, you‘ll hear every tiny bit…

I found my lx to be a bit of a let down but I am coming from Autobahn cruisers, so really apples to oranges. I've owned mostly Audi's and Porsche's over the last 25 years with a Lotus Elise CA mixed in.

I do really like the chassis and suspension of the 100 series and appreciate the layout and design. I got a kick out of the front axle and hub. Though the interiors are not even close.
The tires play a big role. My cupped cooper ST Maxx feel like I'm motoring around in a tractor.

However, I bought the lx because I wanted a durable and reliable adventuring capable vehicle.

I have an 01 with over 450k miles. It is miles better than any expedition I have ever ridden in in every way possible. The main one I'll go with though is interior quality. EVERY ford I have ever ridden has squeaks and rattles. It can be one that is brand new or 20 years old, doesn't matter. They all have crappy intertior quality. My 25 year old lexus with almost half a million miles has ZERO.

Aren’t these the nontechnical hundy threads that usually gets moved to Chit Chat ?

Playing devils advocate here, sounds like a plain case of buyers remorse. You know you can test drive a vehicle before purchasing, right? Really hope you did that and didn't buy into the "hyped mythical 8th wonder of the world" 100 series Land Cruise the internet is so in love with.

it's not for everyone, especially people that struggle to overcome the MPG / Power aspects.

Does anyone have direct experience with 2018+ 4th Gen Expedition? Is it made better quality or worse?

Got 15 responses with no response. Love the loyalty on this forum and guys willing to help troubleshoot (some even in person)

p-metric tire seem to always be massive help in this area for those sensitive to ride quality. May have to take plunge to the dealership or indy Toyota shop of reputation in your area and have em check out your ahc system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom