Alternator altering (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just an FYI for anyone doing this swap – Changing out the 2F alternator for the 3FE is not exactly a drop replacement. The top ear on the 80 amp 3FE alternator is placed about 30 degrees different than the 2F alternator ear. This requires a modified or different adjustment bracket or a shorter fan belt. I am looking at ordering a new belt. Jim – how did you solve this problem?

I've got a mean green in the stock replacement and then n GM 1 wire were the smog pump used to be! Dual alternators for both batteries.

Dual alts on dual belts charging dual batts= Redundancy cubed!

First pic is the 3FE alt in the stock 2F cradle w/ a stock 2F adjust arm and a stock, but worn OEM Mitsuboshi belt. If a new OEM belt was used, there would be even more room on the adjuster.

Note that the alt fan is smaller than either the 3FE or late 2F. It came off a 75-78 cruiser alt that was kicking around the floor. The bigger fans would hit the adjuster arm.

Second pic is my backyard "adapter harness".
2 wires from the FJ60 harness become 3 wires into the FJ80 alternator.
DSC07175.jpg
DSC07174.jpg

Ran into the tension bracket hitting the alternator fan last night. Jim -That is a good solution to the problem:cheers:. I was already to modify the bracket. I'll try finding a FJ40 alternator fan instead.

Thread dredge!

I'm tired of looking at the hokey adapter wire on my FJ60 w/ FJ80 alternator. It works great, but the crimpapalooza doesn't look like it's up to Cruiser quality standards.

Does anybody have a PN for the 3 terminal connector to the alt?
Or maybe somebody has a parts truck or a V8 swap and is willing to sell the alt connector & harness stump off their 3FE?

attachment.php

I know it's like work 'n stuff but why not head to the junkyard and find a similar year import car/minitruck and steal the connector? I know how rare Cruisers are in the local junkyards but there's plenty of other import cars there...

Nick

Thread Dredge X2.
Jim, You may have fixed this a while back, but I may have found a place to get the Toyota alternator connectors. See the two attached pic and tell me which one of the three connectors shown (if any) fits that alternator. I have verified that the three pin connector at the top of the first image fits the 78 to ?? alternators and have these in stock.

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Subscribed.

I need more alt output on my 60.

John

Coolerman, did you ever order the ND 3FE connector?

Product idea: You make the jumper adapter for the FJ62 Alt swap into an FJ60, as Jim shows above, since the 2F Denso alternators are now discontinued, both OE and OEM ... I suspect this might become a popular upgrade.

I agree with Spike, I would be in, and I suspect others would too.

JEM

Sorry for the long delay on this guys and gals, been a bit busy with other things.

I ordered the 3FE connectors this morning. I will send Jim C. one to verify it is the correct connector for a 3FE alternator.

For the adapter mentioned in the post above, If the connector I ordered is the correct connector, I can make the adapter Jim shows but use the 3FE connector on one end easily.

I'll take two.

Perhaps a pre-order on your website?

Another product idea: A popular upgrade is the gear reduction starter install. I recently used a couple of your connectors to build a simple harness plug in adapter to install a gear-reduction starter w/ relay in my 74, to by-pass the coil ballast on start up. I didn't want to have to tap into the factory harness at all - I'm sure whatever you put together would be far more elegant than my hack.

I did what was done in this thread LINK except made it a plug in.

Coolerman,

I also will take one of the 3fe alternator adapters.

Thanks, John

OK I sent the connector to Jim yesterday for him to verify it is the correct connector. If it is, I will put them on my web site for purchase. I can make the adapter Jim shows above using the 3FE connector and plug in spade terminals or can supply the terminals and you can make it yourself.

Just a note: the terminals the 3FE connector uses are the same as ALL FJ40/6x alternator terminals. Simple matter to remove the wires from your existing plug, plug in one as it is, then use the supplied terminals to make the jumper as Jim shows. I'll work out the details and pricing later. ;)

This is a very good thing. If Jim says it's the correct connector...I'm in. Thanks Coolerman.

John

I have not heard back from Jim concerning this connector.

Jim did you receive it? I also probably need to send you three more terminals. (What I sent him was three wires with the terminals crimped on making it harder for him to make the adapter...;))

Jim?

Reactions: dnp
Yes, thank you! Received the connector shell and the 3 pigtails.

I was not planning on making an adapter, because that would require the connector shell that would replicate the back of the 2F alternator.
My plan was simply:
  1. chop off the 2F connector
  2. slide the boot up the wire
  3. butt-splice the two 3F wires to the one 2F sense wire
  4. butt-splice the L wire together
  5. snap wired terminals into housing
  6. slide boot sorta into place
  7. plug in connector.
LMK if that is not an OK plan. I'll do this tomorrow afternoon, while it's still sorta warm out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom