Alternate to PHH? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not only would I never consider putting the hard line back in, it's pretty much impossible w/o pulling the motor or at least the head.

Really? :rolleyes:

Running a long hose or not is not a big deal, but you can have the hard tube out in 5 minutes after you cut the PHH. You just break off the lower bracket. No point in leaving it in there looking ugly even if you aren't going to use it.

I guess we haven't had enough PHH threads lately so we need to bring one back from the dead.

Really? :rolleyes:

Running a long hose or not is not a big deal, but you can have the hard tube out in 5 minutes after you cut the PHH. You just break off the lower bracket. No point in leaving it in there looking ugly even if you aren't going to use it.

I guess we haven't had enough PHH threads lately so we need to bring one back from the dead.

Never tried it. Mine came off when the head was off. I remember thinking that was the only way it was going to happen. It's been a while.:meh:

The hard line IMHO is an engineering belt and suspenders type of thing.

Might as well wear a belt with the pair of suspenders tht one has.

:)

The hard line is useful if you route the hose in the area behind the manifold.

If you take the hose out beyond the brake master and wrap it around along the firewall, the whole thing becomes moot.

Lets be honest: as good as the Toyota engineers are they are mainly after two things:

1. Cost reduction in manufacturing.

2. Cost reduction in design.

Lets be realistic about the situation about the PHH. It's a known issue. Take care of it and then drive away not worrying about it for hundreds of thousands of miles.

:cheers:

Really?:rolleyes:
Try 65k and thousands of hours on the trail in one of the hottest places in the country. No issues.:cool:

Not only would I never consider putting the hard line back in, it's pretty much impossible w/o pulling the motor or at least the head.

I think you missed the YMMV in there near the end.;)

Dealership do not replace the 2" piece of hose they replace the assembly (87209-60381). The assembly includes the metal pipe and short hoses at both end and use spring clamps at the open end. And yes they remove and replace both bolts.

With that said if your 80 was dealer serviced and the PHH was replaced you would never know it because it will look original to the unknown.;)

Just to keep the thread going: while I agree much on the engine is assembled to reduce cost or make for ease of assembly but if that was strictly the case, we wouldn't see dual overhead cams or oil squirters on the engine, I'm also guessing it would be easier to chuck a long rubber hose on the engine as apposed to the extra manufacturing and engineering costs associated with a hard line on the heater hose. I'm keeping mine

That all depends on how persnickety you want to be. Those crazy constant torque clamps are overboard in my book.

Look up stainless steel worm gear clamps for soft hose. They work fine with normal green silicone hose. They have an extra long tab to cover the gear section so it doesn't push through.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=n6xnan

Come to think of it I could just use ear clamps for everything but the PHH. It's just hard to get a giant pair of end nippers near the PHH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom