Aisin Hubs - 78 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I found a set of 30-spline hubs for my 40. 10/77 date (1978 model) They were in good shape already so I cleaned them up, applied new grease after assembling them correctly. I put them on the 40 and did a quick check and they functioned properly. Free spool in free, and turns the driveshaft in lock. Perfect, right? Of course, I should realize nothing that I do in the garage ever goes smoothly.
I tighten the 6 bolts down and realize that everything is now locked up. WTH??? I cant turn the axle or the dial on the manual hub.
So, I pull everything back off and realize that the housing is too shallow with the split ring installed. It is literally 1/16" off. I pulled the split ring off, installed everything again and it all functions perfectly.
However, I know I need the split ring installed.

So, after doing some research, it appears that I may need a longer housing for these hubs. The reason I am confused is that in pictures, the two different housings are about 1" different and I literally only need about 1/16" clearance. I don't know why mine would be so close to working.

So, what are my best options to make these work?

A few options that I think are out there are as follows:
-Buy new housing and use the internal parts I already have.
-Buy different Birfields? but which ones?
-Is machining the groove for the split ring back slightly on a lathe an option? There is plenty of room on the shaft.
-Sell these to someone and buy aftermarket hubs, such as Warn ( I do not want to do this if possible)

Any suggestions is appreciated. As mentioned, I have done research but can't figure out what I would need to change, if anything to make what I have work. If I need to give measurements, I can later tonight.

Post up pics of the hubs. What truck did the hubs come from?

You said "I tighten the 6 bolts down and realize . . . " Specifically, which 6 bolts?

When you use the term "housing", are you referring to the hub body?

Thinking back to when I bought them, I kept asking the guy what they came off and he never specifically replied. Maybe he ran into the same issue. I was thinking that as long as they were 30 spline and not 19 (or whatever) that they would work.
I will get pics posted up soon. The housing I am referring to is the silver (chrome) part of the hub. The 6 bolts I am referring to are the ones marked "7", small 10mm, right by the hub dial. There are no additional bolts. The others are studs and use cone washers. It is literally so close to working. UGGGH!

From what I can tell, my model 40 has long birfields and I need the long body hubs or shorter birfields. I am trying to figure out if someone knows if going one route or the other is a better option. path of least resistance.

Edit: Pics added

40 hub assembly.jpg

Split ring pushed back, out of the groove. Hub functions fine in this position.
40 hub shaft.jpg

Measurement
40 measurement hub.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if you have mini truck hubs. I don’t think they fit the Land Cruisers.

You need the long body lockouts if you have stock birfields in your 78. You have the short body lockouts. In 79, they switched to the shorter birfs and associated shorter lockouts. Mini truck and 60 series are the same lockouts post 79. Your other option is to swap out birfields to the shorter style.

From the FAQ - Lock out 101 (FAQ)

IMHO, switching birfs makes more sense. You can find upgraded short birfs anywhere since they are found in mini trucks and 60 series. If you break a long one, it might prove difficult to find a long style birf. Likewise, if you break a lockout, it will be difficult to locate a long body lockout. Short body lockouts are everywhere.

It probably says it in that link somewhere but if you switch to 79+ birfs to bed to clearance the inside of the knuckle balls since the bell on the longer birfs are bigger.

Yep. 76-78 need the long body ASCOs that only came on FJ55s. Rare birds now.

Dang-I had 3 of these at one time and gave them away. But with high strength birfields in a different pattern, these hubs have little value. At least that's my interpretation. Remember the 76-78 birfields are rare and getting rarer, it seems these hubs don't have a home.

Dang-I had 3 of these at one time and gave them away. But with high strength birfields in a different pattern, these hubs have little value. At least that's my interpretation. Remember the 76-78 birfields are rare and getting rarer, it seems these hubs don't have a home.

I am under the impression they also work for an 80 series part time conversion.

I got my used Aisin lockouts and 79+ birfs for $200. I looked for a couple days to find the long body Ascos but figured the short body would be better in the long run and cheaper to boot.

Hmmmmm, I might have to do some swapping around here :D

I can put brand new AISIN hubs and brand new Longfield birfs on and land under that price. Though the labor cost us a bit different :D

I'm about to dump my '77 here this spring/summer - prices on some of these parts makes me wonder if it shouldn't be parted out, but it's original to an extent, runs excellent and has lived as a daily driver for me for years - I just can't work on it anymore nor stand to drive it. I hate the decision, but it's the way it is. If I can't get a decent price out of it whole, along with the plethora of parts I have, maybe it should be parted out ??
I had looked into doing the same to get rid of the long nose Warn hubs on mine - they are in good condition with no cracks but I would have preferred the later style and probably upgraded them in the process. Having hard to replace parts on my stuff is something I'd rather avoid - it's just taking the potential for a failure to cost far more than it should out of the equation. If it were mine - I'd at least go with the later model parts or just upgrade the whole shooting match at once - as Kurt pointed out.

Sarge

Thanks guys. I have visited the FAQ many times but honestly had no idea what "Lockout 101" meant. Now it makes sense.

I think I will look into the shorter birfs as that may be a good solution to being able to use the hubs I have. Now, I just need to figure out how or where to source the newer style birfs and what is involved in swapping them out.

Thanks to all that have responded. I would rather keep the Aisin Hubs that go to Warn. of course it sounds like the Warn hubs may be the easier solution if they are readily available.

As you can see, the ones I have a SOOOOO Close to working... :doh:
40 hub assembly.jpg

Pic showing how far back the split ring needs to be moved to make this hub fully functional.
40 hub shaft.jpg

Measurement
40 measurement hub.jpg

Swapping birfs is a complete front axle service. If you haven't done it before it's a good exercise to get to know your truck. I'm actually in the middle of doing it on mine.

You still have the Warns that came on the truck right?

I'm in the same boat as you but backwards... I also have a '78 and I ordered a set of longfields from Cruiser Outfitters (great experience and people) and installed them. Tried to bolt up my old warn hubs and the birfield didn't extend enough to engage the clip. Called up Kurt and he diagnosed the problem. I have a new set AISIN hubs in route that should cure the problem.

Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom