AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a great point. This customer was powering a Dometic battery and not the fridge itself, but regardless you'd want to ensure whatever device is plugged into that power tap doesn't become a significant parasitic drain.
All good while driving. If you set at camp for a couple days without solar connected to the start battery you could be in trouble.

...regardless you'd want to ensure whatever device is plugged into that power tap doesn't become a significant parasitic drain.
Nor do you want to drain your only source for starting your vehicle when in the middle of knowhere.
Either get a power supply or second battery. 👍

Hi Everyone, we wanted to share this with the 'Mud community: Due to a scheduling oversight, we have a GX460 dual drawer + sleeper system ready to be installed! Let our mistake save you leadtime. Installation is now free, and this is available for immediate install. You can purchase online and reach out to us for scheduling at info@airdowngearup.com

GX460 Premier package wsleeper.png

I wish I was closer, I would have taken you up on that offer. That being said, we just placed the order for the full sleeper / drawer kit. Any thoughts on using some spray adhesive to attach some marine carpet to the top of the system? I'd like to add something to keep the dog from slipping around while driving.

:cheers:

We are looking for another early adopter that is interested in a GX460 sleeper/drawer system! We encountered some logistical issues with a vehicle we had arranged, and are now looking for another. We are beyond happy with this product after the first installation and are looking to finalize a few details and create some additional product documentation.

We will be offering a handsome discount and free install on this system, and for that, we're looking for someone that can make 1-2 trips into the shop for final fits. At this point, I don't believe we'd need to keep the vehicle overnight but would want to be able to take 2ish hours to document our install, take photos, etc. We have a GX system fully built and standing by, so there is currently no lead time for this install, we are ready now!

Hit us up if you are in the Denver/Front Range area (or willing to make a road trip!) and would be interested in this opportunity!
This is the one where the 3rd row seats are removed, right? I sleep in my GX but would like a set up like this and I'm in COS area. How much would it be OTD?

I wish I was closer, I would have taken you up on that offer. That being said, we just placed the order for the full sleeper / drawer kit. Any thoughts on using some spray adhesive to attach some marine carpet to the top of the system? I'd like to add something to keep the dog from slipping around while driving.

:cheers:
Thanks for the order! We are looking forward to getting you your system! As for the carpeting, that would work well! You'll want to go a little thinner on the carpet to allow the sleeper to fold/stow nice and flat, but we had plenty of customers add carpeting.

This is the one where the 3rd row seats are removed, right? I sleep in my GX but would like a set up like this and I'm in COS area. How much would it be OTD?
You are correct, our system requires removal of the 3rd row. Total cost will vary depending on what system, features, etc you select but one thing to note is all the pricing listed on the website includes shipping or install if you are able to make it to the shop. With you being in COS, we'd love to be able to install this for you!

Thanks for the order! We are looking forward to getting you your system! As for the carpeting, that would work well! You'll want to go a little thinner on the carpet to allow the sleeper to fold/stow nice and flat, but we had plenty of customers add carpeting.
Thanks, we are looking forward to the install. Especially the dog. With the 2nd row captains chairs folded, there is still quite a gap between them making it a pain for her to find a spot to lay down. Apparently, laying down near the back door is not good enough for her.

What is the current lead time on the GX systems?

We get a lot of questions about how much weight our Slide Out Table can support, so we put this video together to demonstrate just how much it can hold! Cutting straight to the point: We recommend 25 pounds as the max load, which is more than enough for meal prep, staging cameras, etc. In this video we load the table up to 40 pounds just to demonstrate what it can handle!

Kitchen Covers now available! We have created a kit that allows you to have a flat, load bearing surface with wing and tie downs when you aren't running a fridge on your dedicated kitchen. We certainly understand that you don't always need a fridge in the vehicle, so we designed this cover to be easy to install allowing you to configure your system exactly how your current use-case demands. This is 100% retrofittable (i'm pretty sure that's a word, right?) and installs/removes in just a few minutes.

You still retain 100% function of the kitchen, and the 'fridge top' effectively just becomes a short drawer/tray. The fridge tie-down points can still be used to secure gear. We put together a brief overview video, let us know what you think!

All the pictures/videos feature a Land Cruiser, but it will look/function the same in a GX!

20230104_152707.jpg

20230104_152728.jpg

20230104_152749.jpg

How easy/hard is that to install or remove? Looks like it has a few bolts? Or does it fold onto the other side? Hard to tell how it operates. Seems like it is static and install/remove as you please?

How easy/hard is that to install or remove? Looks like it has a few bolts? Or does it fold onto the other side? Hard to tell how it operates. Seems like it is static and install/remove as you please?
It's 4 to 9 screws (pending how robustly you want it in place). With only 4 screws installed it held my body weight bouncing on it. If you were to strap something heavy onto the top with the tie downs on that cover, I'd use all the screws.

It's static, but quickly removable.

Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since we've checked in here on this forum, just wanted to show everyone a recent install we completed at the shop. We always recomend the Exped Megamat Duo for use with the SS1, seems to be a really good fit all around. Just wanted to show what that looks like when used with the SS1 in a GX460. Comfy!
View attachment 2945722
What size Exped MegaMat Duo 10 are you using?
Medium Double: 72 x 41 x 4 inches
Long Wide Double: 77.6 x 52 x 4 inches

Hi Everyone,

We have recently updated the GX460 and wanted to share with the 'Mud group. To summarize; we have made the drawers larger and the sleeper sit flatter.

We received feedback from people looking for just a little more capacity out of the drawers. We were able to squeeze every last bit of space and added two inches of length and 1 inch of height, bringing the available internal drawer space to 34"long x 16"wide x 8" tall. This adds up to create one of the larger GX460 drawers on the market. We were also able to go to a longer slide length, so you still retain 100% extension, lock in/out function with ball bearing slides for an effortless glide

Another point thats come to our attention is that some people have experienced rattles with competitor slides. We have developed a technique for adjusting the stops on our slides so that there is absolutely zero movement of the drawer when closed, preventing any kind of sound or clunk while driving.

Our integrated, convertible sleeper still deploys in seconds, and is now my flat. By adjusting the overall height of the system we have been able to achieve a flatter deployed surface. When not in use, the sleeper stows over the tops of the drawers and still provides access to the cargo d-rings, meaning you can tie down heavier equipment right on top of the sleeper when not is use.

20230518_150335.jpg

20230518_150418.jpg

20230518_150944.jpg

Regarding your drawer dividers, someone in your shop has a serious issue trying to saw cut straight lines! :rofl:
(Unless that's a ridge line silhouette)
Seriously, your drawer system looks awesome and love the extra slide out table, for a stove?? How much weight can that little slide hold?

Regarding your drawer dividers, someone in your shop has a serious issue trying to saw cut straight lines! :rofl:
Seriously, your drawer system looks awesome and love the extra slide out table, for a stove?? How much weight can that little slide hold?
In the video he says about 25lbs good for cooking on and or prepping.
Love the new improvements. The blanket spacer seems a little odd for such a polished system but hey everyone has one and to put the spacer on the sleeper it would mess up your flat load floor when not deployed. Maybe have custom support spacer that fits into a cubby somewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️
Also how does the rear cargo do with stuff sliding around for day to day tasks like grocery getting? and holding up to harsh use like hauling sharp scratchy or wet items? I’m guessing you guys can rhino line these guys too or maybe a high quality commercial carpet top would be dope. Very cool setup as is.

Ha, that's a mountain outline!
In the video he says about 25lbs good for cooking on and or prepping.
Love the new improvements. The blanket spacer seems a little odd for such a polished system but hey everyone has one and to put the spacer on the sleeper it would mess up your flat load floor when not deployed. Maybe have custom support spacer that fits into a cubby somewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️
Also how does the rear cargo do with stuff sliding around for day to day tasks like grocery getting? and holding up to harsh use like hauling sharp scratchy or wet items? I’m guessing you guys can rhino line these guys too or maybe a high quality commercial carpet top would be dope. Very cool setup as is.

Yup, 25 lbs is definitely ok. We've never seen one break, but I'm tempted to do some destructive testing just to see what it takes to break one. We tested up to 45 lbs and you start to get some flex, but I think it was a long ways from failure. It's aluminum brackets holding aluminum rails so it's a sturdy thing.

Keep in mind the sleeper spacer is more of an aesthetic thing. Once you toss a sleeping pad on top for sleeping and lay on it, it all stiffens up. Functionally, it's totally fine as is. The spacer concept just eliminates that visual bump and unweighted movement.

Grocery getting: For large items, it's great. Costco runs are fantastic. For lots of loose small items, a tote or a universal all-weather mat goes a long ways. We played with various bedliners previously and while very durable, most of them stink (polyurea is a significant health hazard during application and can off-gas for a long time - not ideal for an enclosed car cabin), they're annoying to clean unless you can powerwash the surface, and some of them are abrasive enough to snag on the less-durable performance fabrics. Carpet is great... until you spill a beer, cooking oil or some other not-water liquid. We've carpeted a few systems and it's nice to crawl around on and keeps loose cargo quiet, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.

For my daily use, large items are great in the back on the platform with or without sleeper. I carry some "Snatch-its" and use those to hold gear down as needed. Small items generally go in the second row or in a drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom