AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it possible to order a base plate with the printed caps and also the side panel shelves to cover those openings? I have no need for a drawer system, or a 3rd row, so just looking to gain usable storage but I want it to look clean.

The intent is for that front edge of the black floor to rest on *top* of the machined anchor bar. It's a slight incline/bend for the floor, but that's intentional. Keeping things in tension avoids rattles and squeaks. :) I'm not sure if that will be problematic upside down like your photo, but my intent with that feature was to have the HDPE on top of the aluminum.

Annoyingly I don't seem to have a single picture showing the aluminum and HDPE together.

Either way should work fine.

Also note, those rear anchor bar bolts in the center will have to come back out once you get the system frame in place so that you can install the printed center rail brace.

Trim piece: Yes, that will likely get new scratches of its own soon enough.

Final tip of the night: leave your side wall OEM panel things in place before you put the system in. Our cargo divider shelves are made to sit right on top of the OEM shelves and putting the OEM shelves in place after the system frame is in place is more difficult than it needs to be.
That all makes sense and I appreciate the assistance. That'll be easy to remedy at this point. The instructions do leave room for interpretation and more photos would be helpful. The photo of the front anchor bar doesn't appear to be cut out for the plate, so I assumed those must be underneath.

I installed my drawers this weekend and everything seems solid. More complete instructions and a finished video would greatly help. I ended up having to backtrack several times as I came across something that should have been installed in a previous step. Support from ADGU was stellar. All of my calls and email received responses pretty much immediately and we're in different time zones. In theory I like the aluminum and HDPE base better than wood options. The use of extruded aluminum rails could be helpful for future customization. The side compartments (on either side of the drawers) and tie down points seem fine, but don't really meet my needs. I'll address those with some customization to better tie down cargo on just one half of the platform and put in a simple divider to keep stuff away from the drawers - using the GX's wall and floor. I'm also going to look into finishing the printed trim end caps with some filler primer and paint. Hopefully that'll smooth them out, and I can either match the OEM sepia, or the HDPE black.

PXL_20220604_234906212.jpg

PXL_20220605_164623230.jpg

Looks good. I emailed them a few days ago asking about getting a set of the end caps since they are not on their site. Still waiting to hear back. Looking forward to getting this project finished up.
You will be happy with them. Not nearly the quality of Toyota plastic but they fill a big pocket of empty ugly.

Last edited:
You will be happy with then. Not nearly the quality of Toyota plastic but they fill a big pocket of empty ugly.
Washingtontaco:

Some questions, if you don’t mind:

Are you happy with the ADGU setup - any regrets?

Does any part of it rattle (they advertise “no rattles” I believe).

The end caps are not provided by ADGU in black? (they look like they are unfinished from a color standpoint)

How are the end caps attached?

Thanks.

Washingtontaco:

Some questions, if you don’t mind:

Are you happy with the ADGU setup - any regrets?

Does any part of it rattle (they advertise “no rattles” I believe).

The end caps are not provided by ADGU in black? (they look like they are unfinished from a color standpoint)

How are the end caps attached?

Thanks.
I don't have the ADGU drawer system. I have a Truckvault. It just so happens that caps fit with the Truckvault, no my Truckvault doesn't rattle. The caps are attached with 3M VHBT.

Truckvault starts here:

I don't have the ADGU drawer system. I have a Truckvault. It just so happens that caps fit with the Truckvault, no my Truckvault doesn't rattle. The caps are attached with 3M VHBT.

Truckvault starts here:

Okay - thanks. I should have directed my questions to Sheptastic.

Okay - thanks. I should have directed my questions to Sheptastic.
I haven't driven since I installed the drawers. I had a trip planned this weekend, but we're expecting another atmospheric river, so I'm looking for an alternate/dryer location. I'll post back once I do a shake down, and let you know about rattles.

The end caps are black. They come as raw 3D printed parts. There are a couple sharp corners and the print is a bit rough, so I did a dry sanding with 220. That's why mine are lighter in color than WashingtonTaco's. I've heard there have been issues getting paint to take evenly with these parts specifically. I'm hoping it's the general issue that most 3D printed parts have, where they absorb paint unevenly due to the printing process. I'm going to start with a couple coats of filler primer before the finish paint. I may use some texture as well. They come with some double sided tape to stick the caps to the OEM trim.

I haven't driven since I installed the drawers. I had a trip planned this weekend, but we're expecting another atmospheric river, so I'm looking for an alternate/dryer location. I'll post back once I do a shake down, and let you know about rattles.

The end caps are black. They come as raw 3D printed parts. There are a couple sharp corners and the print is a bit rough, so I did a dry sanding with 220. That's why mine are lighter in color than WashingtonTaco's. I've heard there have been issues getting paint to take evenly with these parts specifically. I'm hoping it's the general issue that most 3D printed parts have, where they absorb paint unevenly due to the printing process. I'm going to start with a couple coats of filler primer before the finish paint. I may use some texture as well. They come with some double sided tape to stick the caps to the OEM trim.

Thank you sheptastic.

Will await your trip report.

Thank you sheptastic.

Will await your trip report.
I took a quick trip around the neighborhood a couple days ago - potholes and a block of gravel. My wife drove about 200 miles yesterday - mostly pavement, a bit of gravel, bridges, etc. So far, we've heard no noise at all from the drawers. I'll post back if that changes over time or after we bounce it around a bit more. For now, I wouldn't know they're back there from a noise perspective.

*Edit: I don't think this would affect the drawers specifically, but I have lined the back of the GX with 80 mil Kilmat and installed foam tape on the base plate that came from ADGU. They recommended cutting 1" squares to place where it contacted the vehicle. I used a variety of sizes depending on the area. No idea if that made any difference.

You may also want to recheck your attachment points in case there's been any settling from initial install.

You may also want to recheck your attachment points in case there's been any settling from initial install.
Nice thing about the GX is that there aren't any turnbuckles. Everything is mounted similar to the 3rd row with bolts and thread locker. They're easy to access, so keeping them tight will be easy, if/when that becomes necessary. The rest of the drawer system is pretty accessible as well. I think I'd just have to remove 4 screws to pull the drawers and I'd have access to retighten anything.

Shop Update time! We are pushing hard to add manufacturing capacity here at Air Down Gear Up, doing everything we can to bring lead times down! We have been heavily investing in capital equipment, optimizing our operations, increasing inventory on hand and are currently in the process of hiring to improve lead times.

By far the most exciting piece of all of this is the new CNC we brought into the ADGU shop recently. This represents a colossal upgrade to our previous setup which is now dedicated to all of our metal work, further optimizing our work flow. The new CNC allows drastically faster throughput of parts, so we can spend more time packaging and getting you guys your systems!

We've also added a second Markforged 3D printer, adding further parts capacity to keep up with the new CNC. We keep both of our printers pretty busy turning out parts! It's very satisfying to walk into the shop in the morning to new parts that have been printed overnight.

It's been through the support of all our wonderful customers that we have been able to keep growing, we will forever be grateful to the 'Mud crowd and all our fellow enthusiasts!
20220524_112249 (1).jpg
20220615_075800.jpg
20220615_075918.jpg
20220615_075842.jpg

We are introducing a new material offering for the SS1 systems! The new material is a Richlite-clad Birch Plywood. We have been using Richlite on our Slide Out Table for a while now, and we absolutely love it. It has a beautiful matte black finish with a slight texture, similar to the feel of a heavy craft paper. It is water (and stain!), scratch and heat resistant; typically found as an industrial kitchen counter top. The Richlite is easy to clean up and wears in nicely.

This is a nice alternative to carpet, which can absorb odors, spills, dog hair, etc. and the Richlite provides even more durability than the prefinished birch on its own. Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, it looks amazing! We recently had a chance to install a full Richlite system into a 200 Series Landcruiser Heritage Edition and a GX470 and couldn't be happier with how the system looks installed. This is available on the GX460 as well.

This is now our premium material choice and we are looking forward to building out more vehicles with this material!

20220630_151134.jpg
20220630_151210.jpg
20220624_121035.jpg
20220630_151547.jpg
20220628_080211.jpg

We had a fun install a while back that we are just now posting here on 'Mud! This customer ended up with a full Richlite surface Premier Package with sleeper, dual slide out tables and a fun new addition for us here at Air Down Gear Up. We added a Blue Sea 4366 accessory panel (link below) to the under-wing area of our system. This was set up with the intent of powering a Fridge/Battery as well as any other accessories.

To power this, we used the connector found in this thread (big shout out to our customer for pointing this out to us, what a great find!) which allows you to utilize the 20A, always-on circuit intended for use with the powered 3rd row in a GX460. We ordered a longer length of lead wire and tied that into the Blue Sea panel. Workmanship was excellent and the connector worked exactly as expected. It was great not having to cut into the factory wiring harness; the 'plug and play' provided by the pre-wired connector makes this a very robust option.

You'll notice in the pictures that the panel is set back from the face of the drawers by several inches, which is very much on purpose. You have to actually plug things into this panel! We wanted there to be enough room to allow cables to be plugged in and gently run to the various intended accessories. If the panel was flush with the drawers, there wouldn't be enough room for the cables to come out of the plugs without hitting the door.

We liked this set up so much that moving forward this will be standard for all of our 'dedicated kitchen' systems. This panel/power source can currently be added to any GX460 system.

PXL_20220722_184621579.jpg

PXL_20220722_164508201.jpg

PXL_20220722_184725193.jpg
PXL_20220722_184625364.jpg
PXL_20220722_181633382.jpg

We had a fun install a while back that we are just now posting here on 'Mud! This customer ended up with a full Richlite surface Premier Package with sleeper, dual slide out tables and a fun new addition for us here at Air Down Gear Up. We added a Blue Sea 4366 accessory panel (link below) to the under-wing area of our system. This was set up with the intent of powering a Fridge/Battery as well as any other accessories.

To power this, we used the connector found in this thread (big shout out to our customer for pointing this out to us, what a great find!) which allows you to utilize the 20A, always-on circuit intended for use with the powered 3rd row in a GX460. We ordered a longer length of lead wire and tied that into the Blue Sea panel. Workmanship was excellent and the connector worked exactly as expected. It was great not having to cut into the factory wiring harness; the 'plug and play' provided by the pre-wired connector makes this a very robust option.

You'll notice in the pictures that the panel is set back from the face of the drawers by several inches, which is very much on purpose. You have to actually plug things into this panel! We wanted there to be enough room to allow cables to be plugged in and gently run to the various intended accessories. If the panel was flush with the drawers, there wouldn't be enough room for the cables to come out of the plugs without hitting the door.

We liked this set up so much that moving forward this will be standard for all of our 'dedicated kitchen' systems. This panel/power source can currently be added to any GX460 system.

View attachment 3087379

View attachment 3087380

View attachment 3087381View attachment 3087382View attachment 3087383
Clean install. You may want to rethink powering something like a fridge off the start battery (always on circuit).

Clean install. You may want to rethink powering something like a fridge off the start battery (always on circuit).
This is a great point. This customer was powering a Dometic battery and not the fridge itself, but regardless you'd want to ensure whatever device is plugged into that power tap doesn't become a significant parasitic drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom