aftermarket radiator (1 Viewer)

Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,858
Anyone running an aftermarket rad in a fzj80? I installed one during the engine rebuild and now 2+ years later it's leaking at the top tank. IIRC it's got a lifetime warranty, but I'll probably pull it and have it soldered up. I'm curious how the other aftermarket rads have fared.

Eric
 
Joined
Jun 25, 2003
Messages
3,910
Location
Rixeyville, VA
Eric,

After my the first rad. died in the 80, it was replaced with a piece of crap aftermarket one. Mine did the same thing, started leaking at the top and they told me its cause I drove it through mud?

Eventually got them to replace it. Next go around, I'll trash the thing and go back to toyota.

BTW, if it has a plastic outer shell, I dont think it can be soldered. At least thats what they told me when I looked into it.
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,858
It's all metal. One of the reasons I went with it besides price. I'm not going to bother with the warranty, since the rig will be down while they do their thing. And I'll have to pay shipping, so may as well just have it fixed locally. Too bad I tossed my stock one :(.
 

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Moderator
Joined
Sep 14, 2003
Messages
11,505
Location
Centennial, Colorado
I had a radiator problem and chocked on the cost for my 97. CruiserDan and Christo told me to use a 94 radiator which was of better quality and $300 cheaper. I have heard bad comments about aftermarkets, it depends on how they are built though and I am not knowledegable enough to tell you what to look for in an aftermarket. You can't go wrong with an OEM though, thats why I bought the 94 OEM for my 97.
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,858
Either radiators.com or radiatorexpress.com. I don't remember. Mine fit and worked fine until it didn't.
 

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
1,933
Location
Texas, Pinas and Germany
Romer said:
I had a radiator problem and chocked on the cost for my 97. CruiserDan and Christo told me to use a 94 radiator which was of better quality and $300 cheaper. I have heard bad comments about aftermarkets, it depends on how they are built though and I am not knowledegable enough to tell you what to look for in an aftermarket. You can't go wrong with an OEM though, thats why I bought the 94 OEM for my 97.
Do you have to modify anything to fit the 94 rad?
 

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Moderator
Joined
Sep 14, 2003
Messages
11,505
Location
Centennial, Colorado
FJ809496TLC said:
Do you have to modify anything to fit the 94 rad?

Nope. Perfect fit. I can't remember if it was Christo or Dan who told me it was a better radiator than used in the 97. They would have to post up why.
 
Joined
Aug 9, 2003
Messages
9,023
That's correct - copper (93/94) vs aluminum (95-97). Perfect fit. Put a new OEM 94 rad in my 97 also. I also have a pair of 93/94 rads in good order except both needing the top/bottom tank removed and fresh O rings installed. I was thinking of trying it - is now the time??

DougM
 

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
7,705
Location
MH, IDaho
Cruiserman,

What about using the 25 parts 94 radiator while it is down? Then maybe you could get it warranteed.
 

MTNRAT

SILVER Star
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,200
Location
Fernie B.C.
I also put a 94 brass 3 core radiator in my 97. Supercharged and towing heavy. Works great.
Sean
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,858
ginericfj80 said:
Cruiserman,

What about using the 25 parts 94 radiator while it is down? Then maybe you could get it warranteed.

Good idea. Maybe I will. I think it had the standard upper tank o-ring leak, but should work OK.
 
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
289
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Romer said:
Nope. Perfect fit. I can't remember if it was Christo or Dan who told me it was a better radiator than used in the 97. They would have to post up why.
Im about to replace my LX450 radiator and give Dan call to get me new one.
Can you give reason why the '94 brass core better than '97 aluminum?
 
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
289
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Well okay the brass core has three row but what about rust resistance? Isnt the aluminum supposedly better to fight against the rust compare the brass?
 

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Moderator
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
24,241
Location
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Both aluminum and brass are non-ferous metals. No rust in either case.

There may, or may not, be a dissimilar metals issue in the 1FZ cooling system that may be exagerated by the aluminum core radiator. No hard evidence to prove it though.

D-
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 17, 2003
Messages
1,191
Location
Irving, TX
FWIW, local club member (zjz4476) installed the brass one on his 96. His engine temps now run 5-7 deg lower than my 95 with the factory aluminum radiator.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom