aftermarket radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any more input from folks running aftermarket rads? I can ignore my rad leak no longer. I need to decide if I'm going to fight them on the warranty or simply have it soldered up locally. I'll probably stick a used OEM rad in there in the mean time.

cruiserman said:
Any more input from folks running aftermarket rads? I can ignore my rad leak no longer. I need to decide if I'm going to fight them on the warranty or simply have it soldered up locally.

Personally, I wouldn't do either. Seriously; BTDT. You'll just keep having issues every 2-3 years. Sort of like Autozone "lifetime warenty" parts that wear out once a month. :rolleyes: I realize there's the psychological issue of "but I paid for it, I want to keep using it", but it just ain't worth it.

Say it like a mantra: "Oem"... ..."Oem"... ..."Oem"...:D

Curtis

I had to re braze mine at the filler

My aftermarket radiator for my 93 80 series came from 1 800 radiator about 3 years ago, during a flush and fill last week the filler where you put the cap, it cracked because I was stuffing the flush hose into it, I re-brazed it with my torch and re flowed and re annealed it, now it is cool no problem, I dont think its as good as a new totoya radiator, but I am cheap and broke and it cost half of the toyota price. If I had a unlimited budget I would go with a flex alite setup.

No aftermarket here. It's been 8-months since my 96 overheated...replaced the 96 oem rad with the 93/94 oem rad...it's been working great since then.

Cruiserdan set me up with a radiator last year. I did not have problems with the old radiator, but a rig with 150K miles deserves a new radiator. To keeps things cool and clean.

The installation was pretty straight forward. No mods needed. I also took the opportunity to change the fan clutch, radiator hoses and thermostat.

Regards

Alvaro

I pulled the rad ast night. The bottom ATF cooler nipple was flexing badly while I was pulled the hose off. I don't know if I can get my money back for this turd, but I doubt it. I guess I'll send it back and get another for a spare, and run the used OEM until it explodes.

I went aftermarket with mine, all brass, and around $200. made a 5k+ trip to Alaska, where I am currently. total of 8 k later, its doing just fine............

'91-FJ 80 stock

CJF said:
I don't think anyone's questioning how well they work when new, just how long they last.

Curtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
total of 8 k later, its doing just fine

I don't think anyone's questioning how well they work when new, just how long they last.

They last at least 8k

Aluminum will corrode, just won't "rust". Looking at the radiator in my '96, with plastic top and bottom tanks, I think the earlier three row brass Toyota is the way to go. No worries with it yet, but I had problem with the plastic tanks in two of my Fords, and had to replace them at about 100K miles.

Mike

cruiserman said:
I pulled the rad ast night. The bottom ATF cooler nipple was flexing badly while I was pulled the hose off. I don't know if I can get my money back for this turd, but I doubt it. I guess I'll send it back and get another for a spare, and run the used OEM until it explodes.

Till what explodes , the rad or your engine. :eek:
Cheers,
Sean

I have a Koyo brand aftermarket radiator. It looks exactly like the factory radiator and has been flawless in operation (knock wood).

When I pulled my factory one and sat them side by side, the only difference was the "T" logo cast on the top tank of the Toyota one The Koyo had a circle there but no logo. I believe that Koyo is the manufacturer of Toyota's radiators, but I could be wrong. (I was once before)

:cheers:
Dave

I had to braze the opening back on where you put the radiator cap. It cracked when I was putting the cap on 4 years into it. It is holding fine now, but when i get some xtra cash I am going back to the toyota radiator

Bob_Garrett said:
FWIW, local club member (zjz4476) installed the brass one on his 96. His engine temps now run 5-7 deg lower than my 95 with the factory aluminum radiator.

This is not really a fair comparison unless you also got a *new* OEM aluminum radiator around the same time he got his new brass one. Chances are a newer radiator has better coolant flow, less crap stuck in the fins, etc. vs. an older one. FWIW, I got a new OEM aluminum radiator about 2 years ago, and I got ice cold A/C with no cut-off in 115F temps on my last trip to Henderson, NV. Aux. temp gauge read max of 208F up hills and in stop and go, IIRC. I think both rads are fine as long as they are well maintained.

I just had the top of my radiator start leaking before I started my move from Dayton to Redmond. From reading on here.. I gather I have an aftermarket one since it is all metal.. Is this correct? Where a OEM one has plastic top and bottoms?

To fix mine, I just stripped the paint with a wire brush and JBwelded it for now. I believe I caught the leak just as it started because I'd see a little pink splatter here and there of the toyota red. It didn't leak constantly either.

I've got a standard 90 model aluminium radiator and have had no problems so far (318000km). Was doing a coolant flush on the weekend and noticed that the red coolant had written on the side not to be used on copper/brass radiators. Do you guys with the 93/94 rads still use red coolant?

Since we're on the topic of radiators, I figured I'd not make a new thread.

In the '92, there is a hairline crack to the drivers side of the Rad. cap about 3 inches long along the seam on the plastic top. I already tried some epoxy, but it wasn't made for the high temps and just "melted" once I was up to operating temps. Would JB Weld work better?

You should get a new tank (if possible) or replace the rad. I wouldn't try to repair a cracked plastic tank.

FYI the used OEM rad is working and not leaking (so far). I'll get the aftermarket one repaired some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom