aftermarket radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone running an aftermarket rad in a fzj80? I installed one during the engine rebuild and now 2+ years later it's leaking at the top tank. IIRC it's got a lifetime warranty, but I'll probably pull it and have it soldered up. I'm curious how the other aftermarket rads have fared.

Eric

Eric,

After my the first rad. died in the 80, it was replaced with a piece of crap aftermarket one. Mine did the same thing, started leaking at the top and they told me its cause I drove it through mud?

Eventually got them to replace it. Next go around, I'll trash the thing and go back to toyota.

BTW, if it has a plastic outer shell, I dont think it can be soldered. At least thats what they told me when I looked into it.

It's all metal. One of the reasons I went with it besides price. I'm not going to bother with the warranty, since the rig will be down while they do their thing. And I'll have to pay shipping, so may as well just have it fixed locally. Too bad I tossed my stock one :(.

I had a radiator problem and chocked on the cost for my 97. CruiserDan and Christo told me to use a 94 radiator which was of better quality and $300 cheaper. I have heard bad comments about aftermarkets, it depends on how they are built though and I am not knowledegable enough to tell you what to look for in an aftermarket. You can't go wrong with an OEM though, thats why I bought the 94 OEM for my 97.

Where did you get the aftermarket radiator?
I put on in my 94, got it from radiators .com and it worked fine.

Either radiators.com or radiatorexpress.com. I don't remember. Mine fit and worked fine until it didn't.

Great!

Romer said:
I had a radiator problem and chocked on the cost for my 97. CruiserDan and Christo told me to use a 94 radiator which was of better quality and $300 cheaper. I have heard bad comments about aftermarkets, it depends on how they are built though and I am not knowledegable enough to tell you what to look for in an aftermarket. You can't go wrong with an OEM though, thats why I bought the 94 OEM for my 97.
Do you have to modify anything to fit the 94 rad?

FJ809496TLC said:
Do you have to modify anything to fit the 94 rad?

Nope. Perfect fit. I can't remember if it was Christo or Dan who told me it was a better radiator than used in the 97. They would have to post up why.

That's correct - copper (93/94) vs aluminum (95-97). Perfect fit. Put a new OEM 94 rad in my 97 also. I also have a pair of 93/94 rads in good order except both needing the top/bottom tank removed and fresh O rings installed. I was thinking of trying it - is now the time??

DougM

running 94 here also...

Cruiserman,

What about using the 25 parts 94 radiator while it is down? Then maybe you could get it warranteed.

I also put a 94 brass 3 core radiator in my 97. Supercharged and towing heavy. Works great.
Sean

ginericfj80 said:
Cruiserman,

What about using the 25 parts 94 radiator while it is down? Then maybe you could get it warranteed.

Good idea. Maybe I will. I think it had the standard upper tank o-ring leak, but should work OK.

Romer said:
Nope. Perfect fit. I can't remember if it was Christo or Dan who told me it was a better radiator than used in the 97. They would have to post up why.
Im about to replace my LX450 radiator and give Dan call to get me new one.
Can you give reason why the '94 brass core better than '97 aluminum?

Well okay the brass core has three row but what about rust resistance? Isnt the aluminum supposedly better to fight against the rust compare the brass?

Both aluminum and brass are non-ferous metals. No rust in either case.

There may, or may not, be a dissimilar metals issue in the 1FZ cooling system that may be exagerated by the aluminum core radiator. No hard evidence to prove it though.

D-

Last edited:
FWIW, local club member (zjz4476) installed the brass one on his 96. His engine temps now run 5-7 deg lower than my 95 with the factory aluminum radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom