Advise Re: Regear and Front Diff Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
Hey guys,

My front diff is leaking oil and mount replacement is needed. I'm scheduled next week to have 4.88 gears installed. If I recall correctly (???), the front differential is not touched to regear the 80. So, I probably need to deal with the front differential separately from the regear, correct?

Thanks,
From the Halls of NOOOOOB

Sure, sorry- what I'm asking is, there's no reason for the shop to tear into my front differential as they are regearing, right? All of the work on a regear is done on the rear diff only, right?

No. Front and rear need to be regeared at the same time. The 80 is all wheel drive. Unless somewhere it came part time from the factory, but even then you need the front and rear the same for when in 4wd.

Ok, got it... so, if my front diff is leaking and needs new mounts, I can ask the shop to go ahead and deal with it while they're in there then (i.e. it would make sense)?

Ok, got it... so, if my front diff is leaking and needs new mounts, I can ask the shop to go ahead and deal with it while they're in there then (i.e. it would make sense)?
Do you mean it needs new gaskets? A front differential does not have mounts. The control arms have bushings that need to be replaced from time to time. If you take a picture of what you consider mounts we can identify what it really is and help you from their. Also, why do you think you need 4:88s?

Yes, the upside to your regear is both front and rear differetials will get new gaskets and pinion seals. They likely wont touch much else (control arm bushings, axle seals). Also, i don't believe they will need to do anything in the transmission /transfer case area, they will only need to drop the driveshafts. Good luck on theinstall, the percieved power difference is great.

@Iceaxe , I am not sure who you are having do the work but I would definitely sit down with them and have a very complete talk about what they are going to do. If it's not a very well known cruiser shop. Take notes, and post them back to this thread.

To regear an 80 like everyone else said you will have to do both front and rear. Your costs will be in the $1500 range.

Gears ~$250 x 2 = $500
Install kits ~$200 x 2 = $400
Labor ~$200-300 x 2 = $400-600

If you are going to have them do any "while you're in there" type of work, it might make sense to put new u-joints in the driveshafts since they will be out.

The bushings can be done anytime and you really aren't gaining anything doing them at the same time as the regear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom