Advice on possible purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EStein

SILVER Star
Threads
Me again! Still scouring the country for the perfect 40! Actually really enjoying the search. Here’s one I found and I’m intrigued but a little concerned…

Here is what I know...father selling sons project.

1976. Restoration had been started but family medical issues stopped the transformation. Frame has been powder coated as well as a lot of other parts. Clean body with brand new paint. Says it is a Land Cruiser paint but doesn’t quite look right to me. I think all body parts/hard top and glass is there. Found boxes of new parts in plastic still with $4000 in receipts.

Said he thought the engine has been rebuilt but found under a tarp with the plugs not installed so wasn’t sure if any moisture got inside.

I’m not exactly sure what parts are missing at this point. I’m just kind of patiently waiting…

Asking 11k

So here’s my question..

Is it reasonable to think that I could put this together? I am fairly mechanical and can figure things out and I wouldn’t worry at all if I had been the one to take it apart. Having never put anything like this together, it seems like it might be pretty hard to figure out how it all goes back. Legitimate concern? Couple good manuals and determination?

Seller is asking $11k. I feel that might be a little high since the engine and transmission and transfer case are all a mystery? What do you think would be a fair price? Delivery is a possibility.

Thank you for any input.

Eric

3F3754C0-22CF-490D-ABED-FCB09F059E7B.jpeg
3402CDAB-3559-4321-9392-37FC4AD8A3BB.jpeg
345AB14C-9DC4-4B1E-8BBD-2ACFF88B322D.jpeg

Last edited:
thats a pretty ambitious ask....seeing as how "some assembly required" and it probably doesnt even come with a battery.
a really really big question should be, how many panels were replaced and how well was the body braced during.

thats a pretty ambitious ask....seeing as how "some assembly required" and it probably doesnt even come with a battery.
a really really big question should be, how many panels were replaced and how well was the body braced during.

Yes definitely some assembly required! I feel like for every piece I would have to have some serious handholding from this forum. I’m sure I could find one close by that I could use as a reference..

As far as the body goes, I guess that’s just something you’d have to roll the dice on. I definitely wouldn’t buy it sight unseen.

Could be a really fun project with my kids… Or a really frustrating experience.

This was from the seller. Seems like a trustworthy guy but then I trust everyone.

“This cruiser was found in a garage in San Diego .ca with a blown 2f with 34k on the ticker”

assembled the value is there but as is would be too much at 11k.
When you have not dismantled the rig the reassembly is a lot harder and time consuming & costly.
For that amount of money there would have to be compensating items like a beautiful frame, nicely done drive train, new brakes, steering, suspension, then it might make sense to build the tub etc. but it does not look like that project has any of those extra items done.

and the tires, while brand new looking, have not been available new for well over a decade....unless i'm wrong, they look like bfg at 33x9.50 15s.

assembled the value is there but as is would be too much at 11k.
When you have not dismantled the rig the reassembly is a lot harder and time consuming & costly.
For that amount of money there would have to be compensating items like a beautiful frame, nicely done drive train, new brakes, steering, suspension, then it might make sense to build the tub etc. but it does not look like that project has any of those extra items done.
It did say in the original ad that the frame had been powder coated. Doesn’t that make it beautiful?

Yes definitely some assembly required! I feel like for every piece I would have to have some serious handholding from this forum. I’m sure I could find one close by that I could use as a reference..

As far as the body goes, I guess that’s just something you’d have to roll the dice on. I definitely wouldn’t buy it sight unseen.

Could be a really fun project with my kids… Or a really frustrating experience.

could be both. Lol! The crappy part is they panted it (not a cruiser color as far as I can tell..) so you don’t know the body work done. You can put it together, but like you said! Lots of help here and possibly some local cruiser heads. You can get all the oem manuals and Haynes manual. They help.

“ hit'em with $6.5k. Thats a HUGE job with thousands and thousands of dollars to spend. Emphaise that”

Yeah that’s kind of in the ballpark I was thinking but maybe a little less since I thought I would offer him $1000 to deliver… It’s A 2 day drive but he said he has family in the area could possibly drive it out with some compensation.

Last edited:
I once was a private pilot and bought a kit airplane from the original owner that looked a lot like that second photo. Sold it thirteen years later during the divorce, the pile of parts hadn't changed much. Give it a lot of serious thoughts regarding what you're wanting to do. Build it or drive it ?

I think if it’s not a Land Cruiser color then it’s a deal killer for me. I want to build something original. I will definitely find that out for sure. I thought these looked close though? Thoughts?

A67B07B1-4990-4887-B407-9F1AB1C504C7.png

84DF8515-AAB4-43AB-9C7D-0BC2AEB5F93C.png

F23C4A41-3AB0-4F2B-B4EC-E0B0C68B2120.jpeg

Last edited:
To me, his asking price should be 8K. Of all the things 'left outside under a tarp', the engine would be a bad choice. If the trans and transfer case were left untended for years, they could have a lot of moisture in them and be junk. I would be tempted to pull the top cover off the trans and roll the gears over to check for major rust (from water sitting at the bottom of the trans). You also have to assume it will need a wiring harness and 100% of glass and door seals.

'76 is a good year, and that's a very do-able project, but you want some up-side to the many hours of work it will take. Your time is not worth 'nothing'. If it ends up needing a new engine/trans/xfer due to water issues, then 11K is way too much going into this. By determining the state of these bits, you are buying yourself some bargaining power. At least try to roll over the engine to be sure it's not stuck.

To me, his asking price should be 8K. Of all the things 'left outside under a tarp', the engine would be a bad choice. If the trans and transfer case were left untended for years, they could have a lot of moisture in them and be junk. I would be tempted to pull the top cover off the trans and roll the gears over to check for major rust (from water sitting at the bottom of the trans). You also have to assume it will need a wiring harness and 100% of glass and door seals.

'76 is a good year, and that's a very do-able project, but you want some up-side to the many hours of work it will take. Your time is not worth 'nothing'. If it ends up needing a new engine/trans/xfer due to water issues, then 11K is way too much going into this. By determining the state of these bits, you are buying yourself some bargaining power. At least try to roll over the engine to be sure it's not stuck.

Thank you! Good advice.

I kinda like the color...but I’m not a purist in every scenario. If the body work is good (looks good from just the pics...pics can be deceiving), seller likely has close to or more then 11k in body work.

Could be a fun project. Body work sucks and if it’s done, you’re already over that hump. Figure out what a rebuilt engine and trans would cost and factor that into your budget for worse case scenario...then double that for the real world.

Don’t forget about the cost of wiring harness, weather stripping and any soft parts (seat covers, etc.) that might be required.

8-9k might buy it and wouldn’t be overpaying in my opinion. Cheaper the better for sure.

I agree with all the above. I just wonder if a project like this is beyond the scope of my reasonableness. And I guess the answer is… Who knows?

Sounds like I should stop dreaming of putting this together with all new shiny beautiful parts and everything going together without a hitch! 😂

1st cruiser, I would pass, you have no idea what piece will go where, if all the little bits are still there. What is missing?
frame powder coated? all new brake lines installed?
has it moved in the last few years? if not all the gears in th diffs and trans/transfer have not been in oil. I pulled a parts rig apart and you can see the oil level line in the transfer case, below was good, above was rusty.
the trans shifter isn't installed, if it is not covered, any weather is going right into the box.
too much in question with no experiance on your end.
buying stuff like this, I go into thinking everything needs work, never trusting what the seller says.
this is could also be a case of selling the parts seperately being worth more than the rig as a unit.
my offer would insult the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom